• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Police in a Pod Manga Creator Shares Her Motivation For Creating the Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:44 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

This is mainly problem with our far-right government putting it's people in top of every public institution after hollowing it out first, whether it's public broadcasting, judiciary, teaching or police, and using those state resources to harass political opponents. All the articles mention that the PiS is the main problem here. No one in Poland want to actually defund police, and I know plenty of people who hate PiS, some of them go to protests.
EDIT:
Quote:
Wawrzyński says that unnecessary police violence is perpetuated by conditions within the working environment.

“Experienced officers suggest that Polish law enforcement is heavily underfunded, training has been reduced and limited, while salaries deter qualified candidates from the service,” he tells Emerging Europe.

“Nowadays, open-minded candidates do not consider the police as an interesting career choice, and numerous vacancies are filled with incompetent persons, often with links to nationalist or neo-fascist movements,” Wawrzyński argues.

“When police officers are authorised to pepper-spray opposition MPs during pro-choice manifestations or to use excessive force against protesting women, why control themselves when facing criminals, detainees or drug users? It inspires police brutality,” he says.

The proposal here is the reverse of "defund", and problem is clearly tied to the far-right infiltration, that is aided from the top. We also have state TV broadcasting hits on opposition, but no one thinks state-founded journalism is evil now by nature (OK, maybe some libertarians do).
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:49 am Reply with quote

Excuse me - are you seriously USAsplaining a person their own country's internal situation? Why is it so difficult to accept that the USA is not a blueprint for every single country there is? Police forces are not funded and operated the same way everywhere, and police violence, while never a good thing obviously, has different contexts in different parts of the world. I'm from Hungary (so hey, Polish friends) and if you said "defund the police" here most people would just stare as well, because "defund" just makes no sense in context of our police. That doesn't mean the police here is awesome, just that it doesn't function, and is not funded, the same way as the police in the US, so you can't paint the two with the same brush. This is completely unrelated to the existence of police violence and its extent and forms. Over here the issues are widespread corruption, systemic misogyny and abuse of power, and in a more general sense, the far-right authoritarian government's close control over police (but also we don't have police brutalizing and murdering people on the regular here, police harrassment tends to take different forms).

Just because police violence exists in a country (actually I'd assume it exists in most places where police exists) doesn't mean that police as such functions in the same social, economic and political context as it does in the US. Because, well, different countries tend to have different issues.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Excuse me - are you seriously USAsplaining a person their own country's internal situation? Why is it so difficult to accept that the USA is not a blueprint for every single country there is.

ANN is a great place to find news about anime, manga and LNs. They have a great inside of the industry.
But the reviews and opinions are very US/Canadian/British (not Western opinion because US, Canada or UK are not a representative of most of the western world) and that is something I expect because they are US/Canada based site.

Most people in Europe don't really care about US problems or opinions except some activists groups and some multinational companies. Maybe is a surprise and confusing for Americans but most people here tend to ignore American opinions with a "oh, thats American opinion, we are different so we do things our way".

Even US entertainment media that was so dominant is beginning to lose importance with people consuming more European made entertainment and also made in other parts of the world like Asia, with Japan and Korea at front.

That's also why we have different opinions in regards with anime. Some anime that are controversial in US like Shield Hero have almost no controversy in Europe. And the same with Police in a Pod.

In my country we like and respect the police (exempt a very small minority like in every country in the world) and we think they need more funds to do a better work and also be better payed to attract more people for the job. We regard the police as high as healthcare workers and teachers as the most important in the society.

So unlike some US audience, people in Europe that like workplace SOL will like this anime, And knowing that was created buy a real policewoman will make it more interesting to watch.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote

Have you read those links? Because your reply gives the impression you just searched for appropriate links to include in your reply without actually checking them. They actually support a_Bear_in_Bearcave's post, that there is no movement to defund the police in Poland.

The problem is in fact the opposite, the Polish force is gravely underfunded, undertrained, understaffed, etc, and newer generations don't see it as a career to take up. What there IS demand of, is the exact opposite, to address those issues. Instances like those above are seen as a symptom of the current situation..
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
It's a bit mental that she left the police force due to overwork but joined the manga industry afterwards.

Enjoyed the irony that.

Also like to see some of rest of world smacking back at perverse amount of Americanism on an international community forum finally. I say this as Japanese with part family in Washington DC. (thank middle-son for VPN access to American Netflix)

Japan police have own problem. Maybe not as bad as US issues, but still bad. I can see author's opinion. J-police would sooner nothing than their jobs, angry civilians is pretty accurate. Always go for low hanging fruit. Maybe overworked, but still have same chip on shoulders as any other cop. Still amazing author managed a decade of work before leaving!

Jonny Mendes wrote:

ANN is a great place to find news about anime, manga and LNs. They have a great inside of the industry. But the reviews and opinions are very US/Canadian/British (not Western opinion because US, Canada or UK are not a representative of most of the western world) and that is something I expect because they are US/Canada based site.

Most people in Europe don't really care about US problems or opinions except some activists groups and some multinational companies. Maybe is a surprise and confusing for Americans but most people here tend to ignore American opinions with a "oh, thats American opinion, we are different so we do things our way".

100% agree. Sadly, world revolves around America is the status quo in America from the few years I lived there. That will never change. Canada, England, Oz, much much lesser extent. US thinks it is same country/world front man was like 1960s.

With that said, PiP anime terribly disappointed me this week. I had hoped it to be my pick of the season, instead, it is near bottom of list. It just was not funny. Comedy should be funny not sad. Sad
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I live in America and the situation isn't all that much different than in other countries as described here. But there is a huge divide between people with far-reaching voices and those who don't. Actual polling in minority communities tends to reflect that typical folks don't want less police, they want better police, which sounds basically the same. But saying that isn't particularly interesting, so it doesn't help people get attention.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I mean, I live in America and the situation isn't all that much different than in other countries as described here. But there is a huge divide between people with far-reaching voices and those who don't. Actual polling in minority communities tends to reflect that typical folks don't want less police, they want better police, which sounds basically the same. But saying that isn't particularly interesting, so it doesn't help people get attention.

While I did hear that about minorities in USA (wanting better police, not less police), I can see a difference in that I've read on internet Americans explaining - in general even, not about particular case - that if you ever get shot and killed by police for moving too quickly or reaching in your pocket unasked or not positioning your hands properly it's totally your fault because you should've expected that encounter with police can be deadly if you do anything wrong, it's normal and common sense really, which is just not something that anyone sane would ever try to argue in my country. While I guess police are both doing necessary work and sometimes fudge up probably as well in USA as in other countries, the cost of the fudge up is probably usually greater in USA, due to the gun issue. I'm not an American, so I can only tell you how it looks to me.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
America is just generally a more gun-violent country, and that shows when it comes to policing in a lot of different ways, including the one you noted. I was responding to the comments here from folks in other countries who seemed to think that this whole "police as an institution is designed for such and such and should be abolished/defunded" attitude was "the American opinion," when it's really just the accepted wisdom in a specific American sub-culture that happens to have a very loud megaphone.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
I've read on internet Americans explaining - in general even, not about particular case - that if you ever get shot and killed by police for moving too quickly or reaching in your pocket unasked or not positioning your hands properly it's totally your fault because you should've expected that encounter with police can be deadly if you do anything wrong, it's normal and common sense really, which is just not something that anyone sane would ever try to argue in my country.

I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as some of the other 'internet Americans' you've read saying things like that, but it is certainly true that America is more violent than most comparable countries, and US police aren't an exception in this. If you look at per capita violent crime rates, for example, the US has at least 4-5x the rate of France, Sweden, Austria, Germany, Australia, and so on and so forth. Rates of people killed by law enforcement seem to roughly mirror this pattern (actually, if anything, we look a little bit less exceptionally bad compared to Luxembourg or Canada on law enforcement killings).
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ser3n wrote:
Americans tend to demonize the police, but they are just like normal people with qualities and flaws.

Just to be clear, this isn't an attitude held by a majority of Americans. It just seems vocal because most people saying it have big platforms: either politicians looking to gain politicial favor despite having their own private security so they won't have to deal witht he consequences of defunding the police, or newssites looking to get clicks and garner interaction. As of the latest Pew Research poll, 47% of Americans want to increase funding for police, compared to just 15% who want to decrease funding. Under no circumstance do the majority of Americans ever want to live in a world without police. Some companies and groups did the usual performative activism a couple years ago, but that's the same as with any movement that they want to capitalize on, and half the time they end up suffering for it like that one network that lost half its viewership after cancelling their most popular show because it was a police show. A good way to approach the subject is to look at how the Spider-Man video game for PS4 was treated. Every gaming site out there trashed it for things like Spider-Man being friendly with the NYPD and other themes they did not like, but just about everyone else loved the game and praised it heavily. A handful of privileged individuals do not speak for the majority.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Ser3n wrote:
Americans tend to demonize the police, but they are just like normal people with qualities and flaws.

Most normal people don’t physically assault people without probable cause.

Shoot and kill unarmed people under the pretense their lives were in danger or they “thought” they were armed.

Seize property under a questionable statue which isn’t always returned even if they can’t prove this property was illicitly used in someway.

Breaking actual laws and either facing no charges or getting charged and almost always getting off evidence and testimony be damned.

And then there’s of course the whole racial discrimination thing many PD have had trouble addressing/stamping out/encouraging .

Couldn’t possible imagine why Law Enforcement is routinely demonized around these parts Rolling Eyes
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:16 am Reply with quote
Ser3n wrote:

The problem is this is a profession you can't have those flaws in. You can't have "bad eggs" in law enforcement anymore then you can fire fighters, doctors, pilots, etc. There are some professions that simply cannot have those sort of flaws and screw ups. Nor should they be tolerated. That's also part of why there should be much tighter reigns on who is even allowed to be become a cop. Conversely those that are fit for it should be paid more and have much better benefits. The same goes for teachers. Reward the good ones and make it worthwhile for the good ones to want the job, and get rid of the bad ones. Are most cops good? Probably. But the bad ones are abusing their power, assaulting, and/or killing innocent people and most get away with it, or just get a slap on the wrist. You can have a bad worker at Wendy's slinging your fries, not in public safety or health.

Defunding the police is also a bit of a misnomer for the most part. The idea is more about reform, not straight up getting rid of the police (in most cases). The reform is most sorely needed at all levels. The problem though is the heads of government on all levels need reform to in order for this to happen on a wider scale. Won't hold my breath there.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:27 am Reply with quote
People in this thread really be trying to argue there's no problems with police in Japan yet every time an anime seiyuu or some Japanese celebrity gets caught smoking weed, they get the harshest punishments and have to be erased from Japanese society for something that didn't hurt anyone else.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
People in this thread really be trying to argue there's no problems with police in Japan yet every time an anime seiyuu or some Japanese celebrity gets caught smoking weed, they get the harshest punishments and have to be erased from Japanese society for something that didn't hurt anyone else.

How is that problem with police? All police do is fine or arrest people, which is where the problems can be - if arrests are too brutal or fines too discriminatory, biased against minorities, for example. The laws and sentencing are domain of lawmakers - politicians, and judges, and need to erase is completely fault of the whole society, and especially of the CEOs that decide on those punishment to avoid PR hit from society, even if the society is now possibly more forgiving than it once was.

I think what you describe is a problem of Japan's "criminal justice system" as a whole, which is far more than just police.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:07 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

100% agree. Sadly, world revolves around America is the status quo in America from the few years I lived there. That will never change. Canada, England, Oz, much much lesser extent. US thinks it is same country/world front man was like 1960s.

Don't feel bad for that. American and Anglosaxon cultures normally works under the "what is good for me is good for anyone else" concept, and that's starting to becoming really annoying for everybody else, not just Japanese or Polish.

And also, over-policing is a remaining from the old times from slavery (U.S.) or the British empire (The UK and its former colonies), when they thought the white men should rule over everyone else.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4