• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Central 2022 Reverses Mask Policy, No Longer Requires COVID-19 Vaccination or Negative T

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monsieurb1982

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Good decision.

Where l live, the mask mandate were just removed. There were people who were a lot against that and they were a lot on the TV. There were even a poll that said that about 70 percent of people will wear mask even if there are no mandate, so they kept the mandate until now because they said the majority were for it.

The first day the mandate were finished, all people I know saw no more than 10 percent of people wearing mask. Not 70. Not 50. Not 20. 10 or less.. So I think that most people are against mask mandate, and wearing them all the time. The people who wear mask are a minority and should be allowed to wear them. But they should not decide for the majority. It's how democracy and rights works, for the better or the worst, depending how we see things.

About the convention, the fact that some people are worried prove that they think deep inside that most people will not wear mask if it's not mandatory. If the people not wearing mask were a minority, that would not be such a big problem for people wanting a mandate. Maybe I'm wrong, so let see how it will go without mandate, and let people really choose to know what they really want...
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
No good, very bad look. People have registered, people have made travel plans and other arrangements predicated on what these rules are going to be and you drop this on people the Monday of? Despite having said a couple weeks back the rules would not be changing? That’s not acceptable.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(And on a side note, this is in line with other major upcoming 'cons. The Origins gaming convention in mid-June has also gone this route, and I would be surprised if summer's biggest - Gen Con - doesn't eventually announce the same.)

Considering that Anime Boston is literally the following week from ACEN (i.e. next week) but is still maintaing a staunch "Everyone (over 5 years old) attending must be vaccinated & must wear masks when at the con, no exceptions" policy, I don't really accept the excuse of "Well, everyone else is doing it, anyway".

Regardless, though, it looks like ACEN has been run out of Rosemont, Illinois, & mostly from the same exact venue, pretty much since its very inception, minus two years early on where it went elsewhere. You'd think that this would have resulted in a very strong & respectful business relationship between the con & the venue, but I guess not.

EDIT: So now there's been some new info found, with the indication being that this change in policy was actually all on ACEN & the organization that handles the con, not the venue itself, which just makes things sound even worse.

Last edited by Lord Geo on Mon May 16, 2022 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
monsieurb1982 wrote:
Good decision....About the convention, the fact that some people are worried prove that they think deep inside that most people will not wear mask if it's not mandatory. If the people not wearing mask were a minority, that would not be such a big problem for people wanting a mandate. Maybe I'm wrong, so let see how it will go without mandate, and let people really choose to know what they really want...

I think there are two major problems with this way of thinking about the issue:

(A) wearing a mask is primarily about protecting other people, not yourself; in economic terms, it is a kind of externality. This tends to lead to people making decisions that may seem good privately but work out terribly on a population level

(B) whether people actually wear a mask in practice is not a good indicator of what they'd like to do; there's a lot of social pressure to conform when you're doing something visible -- as someone who wears a mask anyway, it feels quite weird wandering around wearing a mask when you're the only one doing so (particularly when a random fellow the other day decided to yell as I passed him on the street to "Take that damn mask off, ya fool!" Very Happy ). Given this, I'd be more inclined to trust the survey (where people don't know who you are and what you replied) than observed behavior
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
PROMISES BROKEN WEEK B4 HAPPENS & NO CHANCE FOR REFUND.

scammy as frick.
Now it'll just be a spreader convention.
monsieurb1982

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
monsieurb1982 wrote:
Good decision....About the convention, the fact that some people are worried prove that they think deep inside that most people will not wear mask if it's not mandatory. If the people not wearing mask were a minority, that would not be such a big problem for people wanting a mandate. Maybe I'm wrong, so let see how it will go without mandate, and let people really choose to know what they really want...

I think there are two major problems with this way of thinking about the issue:

(A) wearing a mask is primarily about protecting other people, not yourself; in economic terms, it is a kind of externality. This tends to lead to people making decisions that may seem good privately but work out terribly on a population level

(B) whether people actually wear a mask in practice is not a good indicator of what they'd like to do; there's a lot of social pressure to conform when you're doing something visible -- as someone who wears a mask anyway, it feels quite weird wandering around wearing a mask when you're the only one doing so (particularly when a random fellow the other day decided to yell as I passed him on the street to "Take that damn mask off, ya fool!" Very Happy ). Given this, I'd be more inclined to trust the survey (where people don't know who you are and what you replied) than observed behavior

The thing is where in the province I live, it were the only one in my country that had mask mandate. And look the numbers yourself :

See stats for april for ontario without a mask mandate (population : 14,9 million) :
https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+cases+ontario

See stats for april for quebec with a mask mandate (population : 8,5 million) :
https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+cases+quebec

So maybe there are people who want mandates, but I still don't think that they should decide for other people, and even less when they ignore the numbers that said that masks mandates don't work as they think/wish.

Sorry, I don't think that the numbers of covid infection are lies, and same thing for the number of people who wear masks.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
PROMISES BROKEN WEEK B4 HAPPENS & NO CHANCE FOR REFUND.

scammy as frick.

Yeah, this is the heart of what makes this an utterly reprehensible decision, and I am legitimately surprised to see multiple people in this thread celebrating it.

A whole bunch of attendees dumped a whole bunch of time and money into preparations for this convention under the assurance that certain safety restrictions would be in place for the convention, safety restrictions that these attendees were counting on for the convention and would not have planned to attend the convention without. Money spent on registrations, hotel rooms, flights in and out of Chicago, time and money spent on making cosplay, time spent preparing presentations, things such as those. The timing of this announcement is such that those people simply can't get their time or their money back. Hundreds of people are out hundreds of dollars each they would not have spent otherwise if they knew six months ago that the convention's safety standards would ultimately be what they became today.

A discussion can certainly be had about the merits and drawbacks of running a convention without a mask or vaccine mandate when that convention is clear up-front that they are not going to have a mask or vaccine mandate, or they even just leave the possibility open that there will not be a mask or vaccine mandate, and let prospective attendees make their own informed decisions based on what they feel is best for themselves. That discussion is much harder to have in a situation where, on a core economic level, consumers were offered a product with certain promises, invested resources into the acquisition of that product, and then had those promises broken after the resources were invested.

I would be very curious to hear from those who believe this was a good decision why they believe it is actively good, or at least a price worth paying, that so many people have lost a non-trivial amount of money they would not have spent under the current circumstances. What, exactly, is good about that?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
monsieurb1982 wrote:
Good decision.

Where l live, the mask mandate were just removed. There were people who were a lot against that and they were a lot on the TV. There were even a poll that said that about 70 percent of people will wear mask even if there are no mandate, so they kept the mandate until now because they said the majority were for it.

The first day the mandate were finished, all people I know saw no more than 10 percent of people wearing mask. Not 70. Not 50. Not 20. 10 or less.. So I think that most people are against mask mandate, and wearing them all the time. The people who wear mask are a minority and should be allowed to wear them. But they should not decide for the majority. It's how democracy and rights works, for the better or the worst, depending how we see things.

About the convention, the fact that some people are worried prove that they think deep inside that most people will not wear mask if it's not mandatory. If the people not wearing mask were a minority, that would not be such a big problem for people wanting a mandate. Maybe I'm wrong, so let see how it will go without mandate, and let people really choose to know what they really want...

Viruses don't care about shitty political takes, though, so this all falls kinda flat. Over here in my Province we've had the highest number of cases and deaths since our idiot premier dropped restrictions. This isn't over but people are whiny and tired and don't care anymore, and the people in power in many places are giving the populace the go-ahead to not care anymore.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Just because it is not perfect, doesn't mean it is worthless. Especially, with the other methods of reducing your exposure added in. I have no problem with the opening up of things and trying to live with COVID since it is going to be here for the long haul, but I had thought mask wearing indoors would still be mandatory.

We already know how things are going to be at the Convention without a convention mask mandate. I was at the Pentagon today, and while there was many people wearing masks, the clear majority were not. It is the same everywhere else too. Any nightclub goers out there? How are things there?

If you go to the convention, wear a mask, try to maintain a distance (even though hardly anyone else will try), and bring your alcoholic lotion
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:45 pm Reply with quote
terrible decision. get ready for another covid spike caused by this
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Next year. This seems like it would've been a good idea for next year. The fact that they were forced to do that this early puts so many people at risk. Conventions like these bring about people from all over the planet, there's just way too many variables to consider it safe to not wear masks, even with the Illinois mandate lifted.

My county's currently at a medium risk level right now, but this feels like it'll make it escalate even higher in a matter of days. It's one thing to not wear masks in the store or at school, but at an event where people from all sides of the globe go to? TBH, during this point in time, it's just plain stupid.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
Would bet anything this was forced by the con center. Sympathies to ACen staff caught in an utterly impossible situation.

Scuttlebutt says that’s not far off. After the venue relaxed their rules, they told ACen it was on them to have or pay for people to check documentation. They didn’t want to do that but that was the convention’s choice.
FactualSteve

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I understood originally having the mask mandate and am happy to go along with everyone when its required, but lets be real.

1)
There are 30,000+ people from multiple states cramming themselves shoulder to shoulder in a warehouse for multiple days. People bought tickets and planned these trips knowing that. While masks clearly reduce transmission rates, its a bit silly to think this was some how not going to be a super spreader event (or at least a conscious choice to increase your own risk).

2)
By now if you're concerned/ going to get vaccinated, you are vaccinated. If you're high risk and unable to be vaccinated, you have 0 business at an event like this in the first place. everyone else doesn't care or is choosing to risk it (I got two doses + a booster for the record). Meeting and greet style events can and should still have masks, which it sounds like can be requested by the person of interest.

3)
Wearing masks all day is not fun, people will be pulling them down all day to drink while walking around, and it'd probably be a downer on a lot of cosplays. Overall I would bet most people will have a better time, and I look forward to the weekend Very Happy

Besides, keeping the vaccine/test mandate up until the end probably prevented many more un-vaxed people from getting hotel rooms or planning on traveling in.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 pm Reply with quote
If you’re worried about it or have risk factors I’d just wear a mask and be vaccinated yourself. The vaccination of other attendees is another matter and has no real meaningful value to you personally.
Flameshadowwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Things like this make me feel like I’m the crazy one. Almost no one around me wear masks anymore other than friends and family and even if you’re not scared of COVID there’s a crap ton of pollen in the air.
I don’t know, it feels weird to be this careless considering US medical costs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5