• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Urusei Yatsura Anime's 1st Animated Video Unveils More Cast & Staff, October Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:40 pm Reply with quote
510: IMHO, Fist could use a reboot more than Ranma.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:45 pm Reply with quote
1) DAMN, does this look good. Though as a huge fan of the original series, the new voice actors just sound wrong.

2) I'd love it if they could find places for Toshio Furukawa (the original Ataru) and Fumi Hirano (original Lum). Maybe as Ataru's or Lum's parents?

3) Somebody please re-release the original series on Blu Ray!
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
510: IMHO, Fist could use a reboot more than Ranma.

Fist of the North Star? It already had one by TMS almost 20 years ago.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:29 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
1) DAMN, does this look good. Though as a huge fan of the original series, the new voice actors just sound wrong.

2) I'd love it if they could find places for Toshio Furukawa (the original Ataru) and Fumi Hirano (original Lum). Maybe as Ataru's or Lum's parents?

3) Somebody please re-release the original series on Blu Ray!
I agree with mostly everything you said. If the original series is to get a release I would say keep buying those Discotek Movie releases. 195 Episodes is a tall order even if it's just subtitled with the infamous dub pilot episode.

I like the new voices and only Cherry truly sounds different to me. I'm sure I'll get used to him and all the other voices. But yeah it would be great if they got the OG voices to voice the parents. Fumi can play Lum's Mom and it would be funny just hearing the alien talk but her being Ataru's Mom and Saying "I wished I never had him" would leave me in stitches. And of course Toshio could play Lum's father and yell at himself and/or be his Dad and be a lazy chickenshit.

This is looking great so far and it's my most wanted show right now besides more episodes of JoJo. I hope they keep the 80's vibe and the only complaint I have so far is the soft outlines but I'll gladly take great animation over that in a heartbeat.
Alphonae

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Any chance this could go to Netflix?

Pretty decent considering how big Urusei Yatsura is.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:09 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
I agree with mostly everything you said. If the original series is to get a release I would say keep buying those Discotek Movie releases. 195 Episodes is a tall order even if it's just subtitled with the infamous dub pilot episode.

I don't know if it's been remastered, but if it hasn't maybe we could get a nice SD on BD set from Discotek, even if it had to be kickstarted to get it released
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I don't know if it's been remastered, but if it hasn't maybe we could get a nice SD on BD set from Discotek, even if it had to be kickstarted to get it released

It does have a proper Blu-ray’s release in Japan from a few years back.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:02 am Reply with quote
It looks like they're doing this. This seem like a pretty good anime. I just hope that "Urusei Yatsura" comes here an gets a good English dub. I'd like that a lot and I hope Ocean Studios does the dub. They've real well with Ms. Takahashi's stuff in the past.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:44 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

The show got remastered for Blu-ray in 2013 and looks fine.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/jp-asian-blu-ray-dvd-and-streaming-industry-news/19222-urusei-yatsura-tv-ovas-movies-bd-boxes?p=302661#post302661 (originally from Mania)

hissatsu wrote:
Animeigo's UY DVDs aren't exactly known for their sparkling video quality. Constant ghosting (I think I was kind with the screenshots, I could have shown ghosting for just about any shot with motion), compression artifacts all over the place, EE, DNR, composite masters, the whole package. So it wouldn't be hard to improve upon them. I forget if the R2 UYTV DVDs even used component masters; they were certainly released long enough ago that composite masters wouldn't be surprising. But they have to be better than AE's release. Even AE's LD box of the first 40 episodes was better.

Anyway, I'd say the UYTV BDs look very good. No grain reduction or EE that I can see. Far less cropped than the R1 DVDs. I don't think an over 30 year old, 16mm TV series could have looked much better.

(BD screenshots cropped to 1440x1080, DVD screenshots bicubic resized to 1920x1080)

01 R1DVD | BD
02 R1DVD | BD
03 R1DVD | BD
04 R1DVD | BD
05 R1DVD | BD
06 R1DVD | BD
07 R1DVD | BD
08 R1DVD | BD
09 R1DVD | BD
10 R1DVD | BD
11 R1DVD | BD
12 R1DVD | BD
13 R1DVD | BD
14 R1DVD | BD
15 R1DVD | BD
16 R1DVD | BD
17 R1DVD | BD
18 R1DVD | BD
19 R1DVD | BD
20 R1DVD | BD
21 R1DVD | BD
22 R1DVD | BD
23 R1DVD | BD
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:59 am Reply with quote
I think that resurrecting this ancient series from the grave is a really stupid shitting idea! Let dead corpses rot-just leave it alone.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:07 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I think that resurrecting this ancient series from the grave is a really stupid shitting idea! Let dead corpses rot-just leave it alone.

People have been wanting a proper reboot without filler and that actually follow the order of character progression from the manga (for both Urusei Yatsura and Ranma, Ranma in particular for adapting only slightly more than half of the manga) since forever.

It has never been dead, and the BD remasters sold incredibly well, it was a matter of time considering the demand. Rumiko stuff is huge.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:37 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:

UY is hardly a dead series. New merchandise is still constantly being produced year after year and the series gets rerun on Japanese television quite frequently. It was only a matter of time for the series to be remade. It's not being resurrected from the grave since it has never been there to begin with.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Any chance this could go to Netflix?

Pretty decent considering how big Urusei Yatsura is.

I would love for Netflix to get Urusei Yatsura as the style and quality of the show matches to the Netflix anime they have on the lineup. However, this will depend on Netflix themselves if they are interested in licensing Urusei regardless if they have the deep pockets or just let Crunchyroll or Sentai get the license for it ahead of time, considering that Netflix weren't interested in licensing Chainsaw Man and Spy x Family respectively as those were licensed by Crunchryoll who got them ahead of time before Netflix could get them, and also Netflix are completely satisfied with their Netflix Anime originals they have and are developing right now(e.g. Vampire in the Garden, Spriggan, JoJo: Stone Ocean, etc.) and the occasional licensed anime series that is of interest to them (e.g. Shaman King 2021, Edens Zero, Komi Can't Communicate).

But who knows I think Netflix should license some anime this year considering that they didn't license ANY of the Winter and Spring 2022 anime as 98% of them were licensed by either Funimation/Crunchyroll and/or Sentai Filmworks.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:28 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

It does have a proper Blu-ray’s release in Japan from a few years back.

NJ_ wrote:

Ah, well then that'd obviously be the release to go for, but I can't really see anyone picking up a nearly 200 episode series for BD release any time soon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2