• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Lays Off 300 More Employees

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Whoever said that streaming services are the futture of entertainment and that movie theaters and regular TV channels are relics of the past must be feeling very embarrassed right now.

How exactly does this news somehow mean that I, or others who think like me, should feel embarrassed? If anything, the news only furthers our argument. Netflix is losing subscribers because of COMPETITION with other STREAMING platforms, not because people are...what? Canceling their netflix subscriptions to go back to regular tv? Because they are going back to the movie theater to see Top Gun 2? Lmao

What exactly do you think is happening here? Laughing
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Whoever said that streaming services are the futture of entertainment and that movie theaters and regular TV channels are relics of the past must be feeling very embarrassed right now.

How exactly does this news somehow mean that I, or others who think like me, should feel embarrassed? If anything, the news only furthers our argument. Netflix is losing subscribers because of COMPETITION with other STREAMING platforms, not because people are...what? Canceling their netflix subscriptions to go back to regular tv? Because they are going back to the movie theater to see Top Gun 2? Lmao

What exactly do you think is happening here? Laughing

Some people just don't want to be stuck in their houses all the time. We're social creatures. We need social interactions.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:

Some people just don't want to be stuck in their houses all the time. We're social creatures. We need social interactions.

Unless I missed something going over to a friend or a relative’s house for a party or something is still a thing. Plus unless you got gas money and money to spend on eating out or going to the movies regularly that’s a lot of money to spend for playing outside.

Also not all of us humans are social creatures and struggle with social interactions just saying.

Vladimir Morales wrote:

The biggest victim of this change in the landscape of TV might as well be The CW, which has never been profittable to Warner Bros. Discovery.

I just realized that WBD owns a stake in the CW which was originally the WB Network.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:29 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
adding that the company is focusing on "creative development, personalization, and language presentation/localization."
In English?

Making content they own, tweaking the algorithm, and subs/dubs.

Though I haven't subscribed to them since their anime selection withered away, I still have a fond attachment to Netflix, since they're why I'm even here. They made it possible to sample all the animes in a way I could afford, and I sure got my money's worth. So it's sad to me that like Google, they turned kinda evil once they got gorilla-in-the-room successful, despite starting out so great.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:54 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Netflix had managed to cultivate a pretty good LGBT following thanks to shows like Orange is the New Black and Sense8, then they threw all of them under the bus for the sake of one rich comedian's ego. Companies that rely on subscriber loyalty can't afford to insult their subscribers like that, especially not when they have more competitors than ever.

I remember when people said this about Crunchyroll producing things like High Guardian Spice and other western-focused shows they were called entitled, close-minded, and other bad things about a perceived betrayal from their streaming company. But given the lack of success from stuff like Cowboy Bebop maybe this so called audience isn't as big as they think they are. Weren't most of the layoffs last time from people making things like "Anti-Racist Baby" and other really niche, progressive focused works and areas? Sounds like a case of Netflix is getting rid of all the stuff they greenlit due to performative activism and are now trying to focus on things proven to make money and are actually successful and that may result in more things that appeal to the mainstream. They can't be frivolous with their spending anymore with so much competition.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:02 am Reply with quote
It seems clear that for the past number of years Netflix has been focusing on foreign shows and movies rather than American material. The employment shift only reflects that. I don't think that Netflix is in trouble yet, only changing it's approach as it needs to.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:12 am Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:

I remember when people said this about Crunchyroll producing things like High Guardian Spice and other western-focused shows they were called entitled, close-minded, and other bad things about a perceived betrayal from their streaming company. But given the lack of success from stuff like Cowboy Bebop maybe this so called audience isn't as big as they think they are. Weren't most of the layoffs last time from people making things like "Anti-Racist Baby" and other really niche, progressive focused works and areas? Sounds like a case of Netflix is getting rid of all the stuff they greenlit due to performative activism and are now trying to focus on things proven to make money and are actually successful and that may result in more things that appeal to the mainstream. They can't be frivolous with their spending anymore with so much competition.

I remember discussing this a few weeks back, and the truth is, the reason they made so many pro social issues shows was because they could afford to. When a company is successful, they can focus on their image, clout, and other intangibles that make them look like a responsible, progressive company without worrying about the bottom line. The problem is now that the stock has plummeted, a lot of their big shows are ending, and the competition has emerged and is taking their toys home with them, profit is the top priority. And that means cutting the stuff that they made for good press if it doesn’t provide profit. It’s why all those Western cartoons were canceled before even seeing a single storyboard but they’re airing a show from Odd1sOut.

It’s rough to say it out loud, but at the end of the day, a lot of their programming that is being canceled was valuable not for its viewer counts, but for the image they projected. The image doesn’t matter now, what matters is cash.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Mind your language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

Also not all of us humans are social creatures and struggle with social interactions just saying.

THIS. I'm sick of people acting like going outside and/or being around lots of people somehow magically makes all of your problems and stress go away. You can be chronically depressed, hike all the time, hang out with friends every day, and still be chronically depressed. Everyone is different and we don't all fit into the same mold. Confused
MaritLage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:06 pm Reply with quote
In 2022:

· CD Projekt Red·s stocks dropped from 180.00/unit to 94.98
· Hasbro·s stocks dropped from 100.00/unit to 85.65
· Netflix stocks dropped from 600.00/unit to 189.14
· Disney·s stocks dropped from 150/unit to 96.61

;

yu know that phrase "I·m just getting warmed up"? Ka

i·m warmed up .
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:

Really? That's like calling the kettle black. Almost all of the reviews and most of the webcasts ya'll do have more curse words than a drunken sailor would use and I should know because I was a sailor. Talk about hypocrisy and double standards!!
casenumber00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:06 am Reply with quote
So bad decisions were made from its higher ups so they layoff people who had no control over the bad decisions?
MaritLage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:13 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
So bad decisions were made from its higher ups so they layoff people who had no control over the bad decisions?

What else is new? Ka
catstigereye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote
I have never had a NetFlix account, never seen a reason to! I have watched Stranger Things DVD through my local library! Also the Lost in Space remake! And nothing else! Why would I pay for two shows? I love anime but Netflix seems wishy washy about investing! Now I do have a Disney app account! Going to renew it! Marvel and Star Wars a win for me! I really want What On Earth! A science show!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:46 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Errinundra wrote:

Really? That's like calling the kettle black. Almost all of the reviews and most of the webcasts ya'll do have more curse words than a drunken sailor would use and I should know because I was a sailor. Talk about hypocrisy and double standards!!

Yeah, I know. But people complain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3