• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parallel World Pharmacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I initially passed on this show, but I'm so glad I gave it a chance because I love it! I like the characters and am engrossed in the story. Every time the ED plays I go, "Wait it's already over?".

It took me 3 episodes before I realized Kenji Nomura voices Bruno. I'm used to him using a deeper voice for most of his roles.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The chest being full of just gold coins got a laugh out of me.

I guess it makes sense being built at the behest of the Queen, but a 4 story pharmacy still seems like a bit much Laughing And that's presuming the other buildings to sides aren't also a part of it! (Though if he (a noble) lives there too then it's more understandable).

I was surprised to find out Lotte is even younger than Farma. I figured she was a typical older than she looks, young looking anime character
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:58 am Reply with quote
You know, something that surprised me of the curled-moustache, monocle wearing, cane-wielding capitalist... is that he wasn't really an asshole? At first it seemed like he wanted to remove a potential business rival but no, what he came to do was scoff at and undermine the selfish excesses of the nobles and their inability to understand and adapt to the needs and purchasing power of the commonfolk. That's about the opposite of what I expected.

Covnam wrote:
I was surprised to find out Lotte is even younger than Farma. I figured she was a typical older than she looks, young looking anime character

Yeah, her age being on the single digits was completely unexpected. I was convinced she'd be like 15.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:41 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

I guess it makes sense being built at the behest of the Queen, but a 4 story pharmacy still seems like a bit much Laughing And that's presuming the other buildings to sides aren't also a part of it! (Though if he (a noble) lives there too then it's more understandable).

My early impression is that the Queen, now that she's feeling more herself, is not terribly keen on moderation. It also makes sense, from a PR perspective: Since this is an official project, the pharmacy's looming presence reminds citizens that her reign is still strong, after a period where she was considerably weakened.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:29 am Reply with quote
That makes sense, Farma is her representative as an official royal pharmacist.

That said I would say that 50% of it was rule of cool / for the look of it. I imagine it was an official art piece in the light novels, as such they wouldnt want it to look boring.

Last edited by Cryten on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:48 am; edited 2 times in total
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, definitely- the "Doylist" explanation is inarguably (imo,) a factor. I just like when so-called "rule of cool" makes sense in universe as well. The whole narrative feels a little bit more relatable.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Damn, QILF does NOT do things halfway.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Random thoughts:

- I would like to have seen Farma struggling with realizing all his work was for nothing now that he can't continue with it and that he cannot fulfill his self-promise to cure cancer for his sister and finding a new path in life on this world.

I suppose this was addressed in the novel, but they had to rush because 12 episodes.

- I get why megane girl freaked out, I don't get why she forbade Farma from telling his father nor why he trusted her so much over him.

Farma's father looks (and the show makes it clear) that he is a highly intelligent person that loves his son, there was no logical reason to do what he did.

- Farma said he couldn't produce molecules but then starts doing it, either I missed something or the show skipped the scene where he learns to do it.

- I like shows with competent people, this is yet to have a hack, so nice.

- I like to see people distrusting Farma for being a rich kid.

- Holy crap, he is 10 years old?

What the heck... I thought he was 15 or something.

In general is a quite competent show and I like it, Bookworm is better though.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
- Farma said he couldn't produce molecules but then starts doing it, either I missed something or the show skipped the scene where he learns to do it.

He can produce pure substances, AKA molecules, as long as he can visualize the structure. What he can't produce is a mixture of substances. He needs to mix the raw ingredients together.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
- Holy crap, he is 10 years old?

What the heck... I thought he was 15 or something.

A lot of characters here are younger than they look. Farma is 10, Lotte is 9, spoiler[Ellen is 16, Farma's parents are in their mid 30s, the Empress is in her mid 20s (and a widow)].
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:40 am Reply with quote
Todays episode was very practical. People are wary of him because he is a noble under royal guard. He solved his problems with societies most sought after product, vanity. At the same time as making a modern cosmetic that doesnt give people lead poisoning. It has good attention to detail which I appreciate.

Yet why do I find it only okay. I was really griped with the tension of people freaking out over Farma but otherwise it has just been apply common sense. I guess it lacks personal stakes past being a successful pharmacist. I guess this is the difference between a top of the line show spending time letting you get invested in small personal feelings of a character vs competently written plot writing.

We did get glimpses of the themes to bind the story closer to its audience in Farma's advice to the queen and his fathers concerns about the Farma he knew no longer being there. But over all the last 3 episodes and this episode especially has been Farma doing what was needed to be successful. Not over coming personal hurdles or any stakes of his own.

Or in a less introspective statement: Losing the personal drama is drifting the show from a 4/5 to a 3.5-3/5
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:12 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Todays episode was very practical. People are wary of him because he is a noble under royal guard. He solved his problems with societies most sought after product, vanity. At the same time as making a modern cosmetic that doesnt give people lead poisoning. It has good attention to detail which I appreciate.

Yet why do I find it only okay.

It's a bit "Realist Hero.." isn't it? Farma takes his knowledge of superior modern social policy and medicine and just... fixes things. The problem setup is believable, but the resolution is a little too frictionless. And like Realist Hero, we have the problem that everyone in Farma's circle is a little too enlightened and reasonable. The threats are all abstract and distant.

While the things Farma wants (affordable healthcare, generous parental leave policies, safe cosmetics and so on) are things I am in total agreement with, the show risks coming across a bit preachy in its focus and presentation of them.

I like the show and it's Bookworm-esq focus on real and practical problems that might face an isekai protagonist an attention to detail. But it does fall short of greatness.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:29 am Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Cryten wrote:

Yet why do I find it only okay.

It's a bit "Realist Hero.." isn't it? Farma takes his knowledge of superior modern social policy and medicine and just... fixes things. The problem setup is believable, but the resolution is a little too frictionless. And like Realist Hero, we have the problem that everyone in Farma's circle is a little too enlightened and reasonable. The threats are all abstract and distant.

While the things Farma wants (affordable healthcare, generous parental leave policies, safe cosmetics and so on) are things I am in total agreement with, the show risks coming across a bit preachy in its focus and presentation of them.

I like the show and it's Bookworm-esq focus on real and practical problems that might face an isekai protagonist an attention to detail. But it does fall short of greatness.

Thats because its meant to be educational so it will come off as a bit preachy but when you consider that this takes place in a parallel medieval era it makes sense. Sure its not as well written as some other isekai but the primary goal of the story is to educate the characters as well as the viewer and its been successful so far.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 am Reply with quote
I dont think either of us see the show as bad. Just practical. And thats the sense I am getting at the moment.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
Rather than Realist Hero, this reminds me most of By the Grace of the Gods. Child prodigy starting up a business with his slimes (cleaning things rather than selling drugs) and generally being amazing. And I'm finding both charming despite the OP protagonists.

I think my main issue with this episode was the implication that modern day skin whitening creams are benign or even good for your skin since they no longer have lead and mercury in them, and that's just not so (some still do illegally have mercury, and hydroquinone, corticosteroids and some of the other chemicals in them aren't safe either). It was a stupid and pernicious fad in Europe centuries ago and it's a stupid and pernicious fad in Asia and Africa now.

So I have mixed feelings about this episode. Like, it would be unrealistic in the extreme to have him somehow change the whole society's expectations and biases, and he couldn't sit by and offer nothing but lectures about poisonous creams and bloodletting. So I guess he did the best that he could, but I think I wish he could have struggled with that dilemma a bit more, instead of completely sidestepping the whole colorist issue as if it were a trivial thing on par with say not understanding why women would even want to wear makeup or style their hair since they look fine to him.

I guess what I'm saying is that this episode chose to drop a whole lot of touchy issues into our lap while just glossing over the implications of most of them and without giving them the examination they're due. And since I don't expect this show to seriously delve into those sorts of complex issues, it probably would be best if they just avoided them in the first place. Here's where Realist Hero 2 vibes do kinda surface, like when he took a tour of the slum and immediately solved all their issues in five minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6