• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Amazon Japan Pulls Dr. Stone Science Consultant's Book After Prefecture Designates It as '

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
DankyKang wrote:
This happened back in February? I guess it can't be a response to Abe's assassination and people being worried about books that tell you how to make homemade bombs and weapon are kinda bad now. Surprised that kind of stuff was available at all

Every episode of Dr. Stone ends with the Disclaimer of basically saying not trying to do these things yourself since it can be illegal and harmful.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:36 pm Reply with quote
This is infuriating and in my opinion a gross misuse of power.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
Pathetic action by amazon. It harmed the whole country because of a prefecture. Freedom of speech is a joke these days or is confused with freedom to commit crimes.

Most likely now it can start a real witch hunt, because you just need a precedent.

Amazon didn't have a choice - continuing sales would put them in a very legally precarious position if a copy they sold happened to find its way into the prefecture. It's the local government that is overreaching their authority by s frankly ridiculous extent.

Freedom of Speech is only legally protected in the US, and even then only against government restrictions, and only if it doesn't cause harm (and the whole argument here is that it does). Other countries have more complex regulations on the subject.
EB01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:03 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
They're treating it like it's The Anarchist's Cookbook when it's a silly AND informative book about doing science stuff at home. Unless there are lurid sex scenes hidden in these, this is nonsense.

Maybe its a silly AND informative book about doing lurid sex scenes at home?
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:34 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
From what I can see the books are about various exciting science-related stuff, and invite readers to get involved in related activities, eg. experiments, 3D printing things, constructing stuff... A randomly selected book I'm looking at actually has instructions on making things like tesla coils, diesel blasters, detonation cannons, cap "landmines" (like cap guns but without the "gun" part), collecting and cultivating poisonous plants, physics and chemistry experiments involving electricity and explosions, it actually has segments on "DIY fire making" and "survival and drugs" and so on...

The note on the website makes a point of calling attention to precaution and being responsible, but if all of these books are like this one, honestly I can see how it could be a bit worrying... but even so, there are ways to make sure that kids have fun with these things under safe conditions, without actually banning the sale of the books.

Its the bolded that I'm worried about. I agree with what SHD said is true about making it safe with kids and the likes without banning the books. But you just KNOW there is going to be either teens or kids that just want to get into that stuff or irresponsible parents and its a lawsuit just waiting to happen. True fans will go buy from the owner's site while without Amazon, casuals and trouble makers won't see. Minimal chance something will happen, but still silly and many other such things like that are out there, IMO.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
This is a rural, heavily-agricultural prefecture that is also the least-populated in Japan. Minority rule at its finest -- imagine North Dakota or Wyoming getting a book banned/delisted in the entire USA. Actually no, don't give them any ideas, I'm sure they'd love to pull that trick off.

That's a "hold my beer" challenge/comment if I ever saw one. You also forgot Montana in that mix.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

Freedom of Speech is only legally protected in the US
Many Americans believe this (along with other fallacies like "The US has the highest standard of living.") But it is absolutely not true. Freedom of speech is protected in many countries, many of which have it in their constitution, not an addition (eg: amendment) to the constitution.

Interestingly, while Americans value freedom of speech extremely highly [1], they don't have as much freedom of speech as many other countries[2]. The USA is far from being the most free when it comes to speech. Not even in the top 10 according to some indexes[2]. It does however score higher than Japan. Most studies agree that the Nordic countries have the most freedom of speech.

-t

Sources:
3: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country
2: https://www.idea.int/gsod-indices/world-map-table
1: https://futurefreespeech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Report_Who-cares-about-free-speech_21052021.pdf
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2