• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Can We Do to Help English Voice Actors?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
That scenario doesn't hold weight though. A cook saying "I'll stop spitting in the food if you give me a raise" is not only unprofessional and juvenile but a quick way to get fired and lose general sympathy towards you cause from customers who learn it was happening. It makes one look entitled and selfish. But a chef who works hard and is rewarded with a pay raise or promotion is a lot more logical and admirable.

If a voice actor genuinely did admit to doing poor performances on purpose and said they will continue to do so until they get better pay, then that sounds like a very good excuse to let them go and find someone else and I'm sure most fans would support replacing someone sandbagging on purpose.

Real poor choice of analogy here. The food industry is also a labor nightmare of underpaid under appreciated work. Working hard for 70-80 hours a week is seen as mandatory and barely ever rewarded. Skill and knowledge is ignored by customers and underpaid by management. Those with them find themselves being told to work for the love of the craft and/or the prestige of an establishment at the cost of their own lives. Labor issues are labor issues because the plight of labor is constantly diminished by consumers. Whether that’s someone dismissing a VA in a game or dub or by that same person going to a restaurant and ignoring how the kitchen staff were vital in getting them their food.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Zendervai wrote:
Especially since a lot of dub actors barely get paid anything. Like...150 for the Jujutsu Kaisen movie? That's nothing. This idea that you have to take on a ton of extra responsibility in order to be paid fairly is incredibly toxic. For dub acting, what does "working better" even mean? You expect people to somehow put in Shakespearean level performances? There are amateur fan productions that pay people more than that and those performances tend to be really rocky because of a lack of good direction, but it's excused because it's amateur. So why is a big professional company given a pass for grossly underpaying people like this?

Yeah like, how do you even judge good voice acting? I mean, I think we all know bad voice acting, but how do you judge good acting and pay appropriately? Just give viewers exit polls leaving dub screenings of JJK0 like "How do you think Yuta sounded on a scale of 1-10?". Monitor forum posts across the internet and be like "Wow people really thought [voice actor] did a good job! We should give them a bonus!"

I mean sure, if you flip burgers at a fast food place, "working better" might get you a promotion*, but what's the reward for voice acting? You can't get promoted to "senior voice actor" or anything, it's not the same as normal jobs. You can get paid more for notoriety, but voice acting isn't like live action, a lot of people don't know the actors because by the nature of the job, they're not showing their faces. If I gave you a pop quiz and told you to name the actors in the Avengers versus the dub cast (or even the sub!) of JJK0, I would bet good money that few if any would do better on the JJK side.

*if you really think this you are woefully (or maybe gracefully) unaware of how the corporate structure of some companies work. By the nature of the business, not everyone gets to advance, no matter how hard they work. If that were the case, companies wouldn't have just one CEO.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention that a lot of places won't actually give promotions or raises for hard work. They'll just push harder and harder and harder until you break and then they'll just replace you.

Sometimes the right answer is to demand a raise and it's not a bad thing at all.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
That scenario doesn't hold weight though. A cook saying "I'll stop spitting in the food if you give me a raise" is not only unprofessional and juvenile but a quick way to get fired and lose general sympathy towards you cause from customers who learn it was happening. It makes one look entitled and selfish. But a chef who works hard and is rewarded with a pay raise or promotion is a lot more logical and admirable.

If a voice actor genuinely did admit to doing poor performances on purpose and said they will continue to do so until they get better pay, then that sounds like a very good excuse to let them go and find someone else and I'm sure most fans would support replacing someone sandbagging on purpose.

But this scenario doesn't hold any weight either? No voice actors have admitted to doing poor performances in order to get a raise. I don't see how the chef spitting in food analogy fits here since voice actors aren't doing that.

In our two most recent examples Kyle McCarley simply refused to reprise his role but he didn't actively sabotage it, and Hellena Taylor is a can of worms but she also didn't try to affect the actual performance since she wasn't the one doing it (though she had many other issues)
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:05 pm Reply with quote
The problem isn't about quality of work. It's hard to make a living as a voice actor because there are too many voice actors. A lot of people think it's a "cool" job and want to try it. Plenty of amateurs do voice-overs as a hobby, and they'd probably volunteer to dub anime and games for free if they could. It's difficult for voice actors to negotiate better compensation when they're easily replaced.

This problem isn't unique to voice acting; it occurs in other professions that seem "cool" to people. One of my former roommates is a professional musician in a pop band, but the band hasn't made it big. They'd get a gig here or there, or open for a more popular band sometimes, but they were never the main act. They have no leverage to negotiate for better contracts, because there are several dozen other bands willing to replace them. As far as I know, the band members all work second jobs, in addition to the time they spend practicing music.

It's hard to make a living off of something that many people want to do for fun.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

What you're saying technically isn't incorrect, even if I doubt someone would actually say that to their bosses/managers. but really? Is your answer to someone who is already worked to their bone for minimal salary to "work harder" if they point out that the payment the companies they work for offer won't even cover rent and utilities? Why is your example "If you don't pay me better, I'll spit in the customer's food" instead of "if you don't pay me better, I quit"? The former seems especially constructed to make the complainer sound...well, as you put it, "unprofessional and juvenile". And a criminal, probably? Surely, there must be some kind of legal consequence for someone who spits in someone else's food, or tries to blackmail their boss, right?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
We really should drop the issue of the quality of current dubs. It is just a red herring.

Back when home releases had "extras" Funimation used to include videos of voice acting sessions. Watching those, it is obvious that quality is not the domain of the voice actor but rather of the person directing that voice acting. The director is the one who says "not quite do it again, a bit slower this time". He is also the one that decides a specific take is "good enough". A voice actor that refuses (or can't) do the reading to his specification is not going to have a career. This has nothing to do with how much the actor is paid.

That said, the person doing the directing of the dub is under their own pressures. With something like dubbing, it can be done well or it can be done fast, not both. For the last few years there has been tremendous pressure to provide a dub with in a week if not within days of the Japanese release. If there has been any degradation of the quality of dubs, it is most likely the result of this emphasis on speed.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:12 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
That said, the person doing the directing of the dub is under their own pressures. With something like dubbing, it can be done well or it can be done fast, not both. For the last few years there has been tremendous pressure to provide a dub with in a week if not within days of the Japanese release. If there has been any degradation of the quality of dubs, it is most likely the result of this emphasis on speed.

I wonder if simuldubs might be part of the reason Crunchyroll is so against unionization. Unions mean caps on recording time which means more days and time required for every episode.
Reuben Lack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:51 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

I wonder if simuldubs might be part of the reason Crunchyroll is so against unionization. Unions mean caps on recording time which means more days and time required for every episode.

One clarification: for dubbing, there's no cap, beyond an overtime requirement if you go more than 8 hours in a day. The issue would be the standard 2-hr minimum. Simuldubs mean you're recording only one (mayyybe two) episodes at a time, so most cast members will only require for a brief session, save for the leads. If you still had to pay the minimum each time, that'd jack up the costs significantly very quickly.

Still don't think this justifies them not considering SAG contracts, but it is one element to potentially explain the hesitation.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:51 am Reply with quote
Has ANN ever covered how voice actors in Japan came to be paid decently?
allnightclerk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:08 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
But this scenario doesn't hold any weight either? No voice actors have admitted to doing poor performances in order to get a raise. I don't see how the chef spitting in food analogy fits here since voice actors aren't doing that.

In our two most recent examples Kyle McCarley simply refused to reprise his role but he didn't actively sabotage it, and Hellena Taylor is a can of worms but she also didn't try to affect the actual performance since she wasn't the one doing it (though she had many other issues)

Taylor called for a boycott of the game she was replaced in. I would say that could be considered sabotage. Trying to make a game sell poorly so the series is cancelled and destroy the possibility to see more entries. McCarley may not have done exactly that, but he was pretty vocal and constantly tagging and encouraging people on social media to disrupt Crunchyroll and other promotions for Mob Psycho season 3 to push his #JustAMeeting hashtag. Crunchyroll disabled some replies on their Twitter posts as a result I believe. That could also be seen as trying to undercut people's enjoyment and the promotion of a show. McCarley would presumably stop this disruption if his demands were met so you can look at it as a form of extortion. The very nature of protests and strikes have to be disruptive to the public otherwise no one would ever pay attention to them or give in to their demands.

omiya wrote:
Has ANN ever covered how voice actors in Japan came to be paid decently?

Japan's seiyuu culture is pretty different. A lot of Japanese VAs are also singers, dancers, performers, and have other tasks and roles beyond just voce acting. That gives them a lot more star power and a chance to build up fan demand which in turns gives them and their agents more negotiation power.

I personally feel one of the biggest hinderances to this issue is that dubs are not involved in the creative process of anime. Unlike western cartoons where the voice actors are their original voice, dubs are optional and generally seen as a privilege not a right. A show not having a dub does not stop it from existing or doing well in a foreign market. Most anime do not get a dub, only the more mainstream ones. And even then not all of those have their English VAs extend to other media for the franchise. Character songs and music are never dubbed or even released in America officially. Video games based on anime are generally sub-only in the west unless they're one of the biggest franchise like the Dragon Ball and Naruto games. An English dub just doesn't seem to be valued all that highly on average if companies feel they can release things like One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 or World Seeker without the English dub cast and it not being a big deal.
Philville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
The real problem here, as it is with so many other situations, is that I don't know how to explain to people that you should care about other people. ... if somebody has reached the point where they're old enough to post on the internet and their attitude is still, "I don't care what happens to anybody else as long as I get my anime," how do you convince them that they're supposed to have empathy for other human beings? Because you need to at least establish that before anything else.

Exactly. Fair pay and acceptable working conditions may be complex topics with multiple viewpoints and various underlying, interrelated factors, but as with so many other controversial issues in life this one fundamentally boils down to empathy vs. apathy.

For the record, I'm not ashamed to say that I didn't support the proposed Bayonetta 3 boycott and that I've purchased my copy, but that I do take the issue seriously, and agree that we need to think about ways of helping VAs in general rather than just shrug the whole thing off because of one incident that may have been blown out of proportion.

allnightclerk wrote:

I personally feel one of the biggest hinderances to this issue is that dubs are not involved in the creative process of anime. Unlike western cartoons where the voice actors are their original voice, dubs are optional and generally seen as a privilege not a right.

Interesting take. I wonder how this would even begin to work, though (if dubs were to have some sort of creative input, that is). I suppose that in theory it might actually be easier to translate this to video games.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Bayonetta 3 shouldn't be used for this topic. It is an outlier.

The original voice actress would have been well paid for her work, much more than most people that post here. The only discussion for Bayonetta 3 was the value that the voice actress and the production put on her specific role. This has nothing to do with a living wage or unionization. It is like having an argument on whether or not, five million or ten million is right for a NFL player.

Nothing wrong with being upset that your favorite VA didn't get picked, and someone new is going to get the role. But this happens to Hollywood actors and actresses too.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:04 am Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
Exactly. Fair pay and acceptable working conditions may be complex topics with multiple viewpoints and various underlying, interrelated factors, but as with so many other controversial issues in life this one fundamentally boils down to empathy vs. apathy.

Do not confuse lack of sacrifice for apathy. I can care about how it sucks to see animals abused but also choose not spend every waking hour volunteering at a shelter or donate all my money to charities. I am perfectly content caring for my own animals and feed any strays that wander into my yard. I'm sure if you ask people if child labor is wrong they'd say yes, but they're not about to stop using video game consoles, computers, or phones because the minerals used to make the chips for them are gathered in slave mines in South America. You can think maybe someone got a raw deal working on a game but still buy it and play it and enjoy it. Empathy does not require obligation. And trying to shame people for not caring enough is just going to turn people away from the cause.
nyaa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm a dub watcher (most of the time) and it's only fair for somebody who does the dub to be paid fairly-the same is true for any occupation you can name. Shittyroll is just gonna screw themselves royally if they don't want to pay a fair wage-another excellent reason why monopolies in any industry are BAD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4