• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Pokémon Anime Announces New Characters Friede, Captain Pikachu

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Would have at least hoped for a female Pikachu to have some difference.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:

You've got some great ideas Very Happy
I'd love a cocky, Gary-esque, rival Pikachu
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Pandsu wrote:

You've got some great ideas Very Happy
I'd love a cocky, Gary-esque, rival Pikachu

This is modern Pokemon, we're long past the point of them allowing anybody to act remotely confrontational. Even Gary in JN is reduced to being slightly smug occasionally.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:55 pm Reply with quote
True but they could use this as an opportunity to an overall somewhat changed approach. Clean slate n all that
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Weak spineless cowards needing to rely on Pikachu again.

Why bother making a new series if you just have the same character over and over again?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering what the hell they were gonna do about Pikachu since by and large having the mascot of the entire brand being a strong presence on TV animation would be an overall good thing for them (whether one considers this a smart or cowardly choice is debatable) Even for something like Pokemon the idea of shoving a Pikachu onto either kid and having it be their "best buddy" and whatnot would be waaaaaaaaaaay too much so having it belong to a prominent side character is a good idea, and just the idea of a "captain Pikachu" is funny in an of itself.

We still have no clue who is voicing anybody yet, though I must say since this is a different pikachu I'm hoping this one has a different voice. It won't be the end of the world if Otani is still doing the role but c'mon, a Pikachu that sounds like it smokes 5 packs a day and insisting it's the head honcho or something is too funny of a thought.

People have speculated it before but the fact that these two exist in the way they do seems to suggest that we may still be doing the whole pokemon globe trotting thing rather than having the show be set entirely in Paldea, which I'm not sure how I feel about it. Galar wasn't a horribly interesting place to walk around in within the games and while I enjoy SVs traversal more Paldea is arguably an even less interesting place but those could both be elevated via an anime...which for the most part just has our characters walk around woods until sun and moon... ok actually scratch all that not even the anime could save those regions lol. I guess it's really just a matter of game characters then *shrug*

Regardless my curiosity for this is still very high.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:32 am Reply with quote
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ wrote:

Why bother making a new series if you just have the same character over and over again?

Take a chill pill, jeez.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote

But he's got a new hat.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:

But he's got a new hat.

Heheh! Nice!

As for my thoughts... I knew they were going to add a Pikachu to the series. Why? Because Pikachu is the mascot. Everyone knows Pikachu. Even if it's not just Ash's.

And it's clear that this Pikachu is going to have a vastly different personality than Ash's. He's comes across from that picture as. a Pikachu that takes names and kicks butts.

In fact when they announced the series I knew they were going to add a Pikachu somehow... so yeah, not even surprised at this...
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Wonder if it’s still going to be voiced by Ohtani.

My purely speculative guess is no. Months before Ash’s departure was announced, I was speculating that he might be leaving the show since Pikachu’s cry in the games, which had been a clip of Ohtani since XY, reverted to the original pre-XY cry as of Pokémon Legends Arceus.

My theory was that Ash and his Pikachu would leave the show (which they are) and that they were changing the cry back due to the fact Ohtani would be leaving the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2