• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My One-Hit Kill Sister (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:26 am Reply with quote
I am probably going to have some things to say about the show at the end, which will probably be about failing to really do anything interesting over incest jokes. I thought the same thing about that mother isekai anime. Where there was probably something interesting that could have been done with an overpowered character who is also a mother, but then they just made being a mother her only character trait, and then pretty much made her a son-con (is that a thing?).

I think that there could be more if there was anything to the sister's personality.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:05 am Reply with quote
While the show has generic elements, I have to disagree on there being nothing of worth/interesting. The sister is OP and the brother is not, but he is slowly becoming stronger and you see him working hard and improving a lot as the episodes go by. The newest episode in particular made clear just how much he has grown as a person both power wise and mentality wise in standing up for himself and not cowering.

Also interesting about the newest episode is the appearance of a second new opening which is a rarity for a 12 episode show and another fight with surprisingly good animation.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:13 am Reply with quote
This series and Moms multi hit skill are series I really need to find time to watch. Neither of them look great but both seem like they would be entertaining based on my nostalgic history of gaming.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Now that the group is complete the series reminds me a bit of Konosuba in how goofy all the characters are when together. Also, I already knew that Killmaria has the same VA as Elda from Edomae Elf, but this episode really drove that home.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
And that was the final episode. In the end I found it to be a fun anime that never failed to amuse and I have grown attached to that clan of nutcases. Every character was fun, though Kilmaria peaked above the others. Also surprising was that Asahi grew from being extremely weak to actually somewhat strong and with a much better mindset. Another surprise was the excellent animation, it had way better fights than it should have and two openings in one season is a rare thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I on the other hand was not really that interested in the end. I think it fails with the whole big sister thing in making it really interesting. I do think that there was maybe two ways it could have made it interesting, either actually really explore something like a sibling relationship and what that means for it to be an older sister, or you really lean into incest angle that it becomes super degenerate. But it really didn't do that beyond being a gimmick, or having a running joke where his sister sometimes tries to kiss him, which he doesn't like. Which is almost like having a show around foot fetish but the main character doesn't like feet.

It really just tries to make Asahi relatable, and relatable must mean not be a pervert that has a sister fetish in a show about onee-chan fetish, which really just makes him kind of bland. He is meant to be a lovable loser, so he doesn't get the overpowered stats and has to try, with his sister's help usually ending up being a save at the last minute or something he didn't really ask for. Which is really kind of boring on what the show is meant to be going for. In my head I can see the idea much funnier if say he was actually interested sucking up to the onee-chan characters, and wanted to use them like a tool in his arsenal. And then his lack of interest in some of the other girls who show interest in him could be not just because they are kind of crazy, but because they are not big sister enough for him.

In the end he just kind of feels like a guy that things happen around him, while he tries to be a boring old hero character like a hundred other shows, and I kind of just don't care that much. I also think that the situation he got into where he was accidentally taking credit for things, was kind of super stupid, especially with how moral it otherwise tried to make him, because totally should have just come clear at the very start that it was his sister who was the super strong one. The one thing it kind of made me care about was I a number of times talked at the screen that he should just tell the truth that it wasn't him, and I thought the reasons for him not were just not clear enough if they were there. In the end it just feels like a sort of lame character and contrivance that would appeal to those maybe a little new to issekai fantasy stuff.

My rating will be Not really good (4/10), which kind of surprises me as I decide on it, but I think that maybe the demon gal might have pushed it up for me, I have a weakness there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2