• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Takahiro Sakurai Ends Contract With Talent Agency

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:47 am Reply with quote
MakiharaMeiko wrote:
Well deserve. I usually don't think that cheating deserves a punishment further than being exposed, but what this dude made was disgusting af, so even if he goes freelance and continues normally, I hope this serves him as a warning that you cannot play with people without having consecuencies.
He didin't learn his lesson with the plagiarism thing, maybe this time he will.

I just wish people with real crimes behind their backs had a punnishment as well. Watsuki, for example or Ozawa Ren...

I am sorry, but what crime have he done? Did he kill somebody or stole a big amount of money? Yes, he had an affair with other woman, it is awful, I admit, but it has NOTHING TO DO with his PROFESSIONALISM, NOT AT ALL. I still don't understand its decision. Sakurai is an AMAZING VOICE ACTOR!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
His talent as a voice actor has nothing to do with his character as a person. And considering what is known, he's apparently a manipulative creep. One of the women involved worked for his radio show, that has everything to do with his professionalism. Miss me with trying to make excuses for this guy just because you've liked his work.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:32 pm Reply with quote
typhonkona wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
And yet Watsuki continues to get work. Confused

Quote:
I just wish people with real crimes behind their backs had a punnishment as well. Watsuki,

Really? Wish people would stop bringing his name up every single time a crime happens in Japan and ends up as news on here. Please don’t bring that stuff up especially since the two incidents aren’t even related.

This is probably for the best for Sakurai, especially since he was a pretty popular seiyuu. But it definitely does sound like he stepped down on his volition though.

I absolutely agree with you! He is an AMAZING VOICE ACTOR!!
Jefcat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
His talent as a voice actor has nothing to do with his character as a person. And considering what is known, he's apparently a manipulative creep. One of the women involved worked for his radio show, that has everything to do with his professionalism. Miss me with trying to make excuses for this guy just because you've liked his work.

The thing is YOU have absolutely ZERO interaction or knowledge with him as a person. We’re all seeing the same reports. You even say, “he’s apparently a manipulative creep”. Apparently based on the reports we’re seeing. But these cases, even Watsuki’s, get strung along and embellished with each retelling. When NONE of us knows anything more than what press releases (clearly full of spin) and supposed journalism (I use the term very loosely) are reporting. So the apparent rubber-necking fascination with cases like Sakurai’s is somewhat bizarre.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Jefcat wrote:

The thing is YOU have absolutely ZERO interaction or knowledge with him as a person. We’re all seeing the same reports. You even say, “he’s apparently a manipulative creep”. Apparently based on the reports we’re seeing. But these cases, even Watsuki’s, get strung along and embellished with each retelling. When NONE of us knows anything more than what press releases (clearly full of spin) and supposed journalism (I use the term very loosely) are reporting. So the apparent rubber-necking fascination with cases like Sakurai’s is somewhat bizarre.

He wasn't just two-timing, but triple-timing. For over a decade. One of whom was a writer for his radio show. That is pretty manipulative. So again, miss me with that handwringing.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:58 pm Reply with quote
-Matthew- wrote:
Yes, he had an affair with other woman, it is awful, I admit, but it has NOTHING TO DO with his PROFESSIONALISM, NOT AT ALL. I still don't understand its decision. Sakurai is an AMAZING VOICE ACTOR!

Yes, it does, LOL. The woman mentioned in the scandal was his subordinate (a writer on his radio show). It has everything to do with professionalism.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
-Matthew- wrote:
MakiharaMeiko wrote:
Well deserve. I usually don't think that cheating deserves a punishment further than being exposed, but what this dude made was disgusting af, so even if he goes freelance and continues normally, I hope this serves him as a warning that you cannot play with people without having consecuencies.
He didin't learn his lesson with the plagiarism thing, maybe this time he will.

I just wish people with real crimes behind their backs had a punnishment as well. Watsuki, for example or Ozawa Ren...

I am sorry, but what crime have he done? Did he kill somebody or stole a big amount of money? Yes, he had an affair with other woman, it is awful, I admit, but it has NOTHING TO DO with his PROFESSIONALISM, NOT AT ALL. I still don't understand its decision. Sakurai is an AMAZING VOICE ACTOR!

He is. But he ruined the life of, at least, 3 woman lying with his personal life. Not a crime, but not cool neither morally correct. I don't wish him to not having jobs anymore, I just hope all this makes him THINK that he cannot play with people's lifes.

Those that commited a crime, tho, ended up without any kind of punnishment and that's 100 worst than all of this (and yet, I read someone complaining to bring up a pedos name xD)
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
-Matthew- wrote:

When a person's occupation puts him under a public spotlight, his professional career can be greatly affected by his personal conduct, including that which would usually be considered personal and private matters for normal people. Whether this is just or unjust is almost irrelevant; the important factor is whether other parties would be willing to associate with that person.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:30 am Reply with quote
I've said it before but while I'm not like actively rooting for his downfall I sure as hell don't feel bad for how this is affecting his career. Thoughts on the cheating specifically aside (he's a piece of crap there's no ambiguity, leading on 3 women is the act of someone who hates all of them) he put his junk too close to his work like he did will obviously lead to a whole lot of issues that his agency will have to wade through so I guess resigning by himself and lying low is the best course of action. He'll probably still find work (he's still Getou after all) but it'll definitely be less and he'll probably not be as desirable in his most popular typecasts now.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
Its certainly impacted his image among fans and the public but being a veteran seiyu he will continue to work even though Sakurai has lost some ongoing roles. Though how he's gone about it is the wrong way as an earlier poster mentioned we don't know the guy personally like fellow seiyu and industry staff will. Tbh I'm surprised that the writer on his radio show didn't know he was married ) how can that be concealed for 10 years?)

Hopefully he will learn from the outcome of this and try to be more honest going forwards.
Slips Python

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:21 am Reply with quote
People forget that a seiyu's acting ability is only half of their career. Their image and marketability is the other half, and arguably the most important half in this industry. And if they ruin that part, then it really hurts them. If no one is shelling out money to buy tickets to your events or buy your CDs and merch then you're not going to be as in-demand anymore.

Normally, yes, I'd say people cheating and other personal things isn't really worth firing people over, but in an industry like this it does affect your job compared to just working in a sales office or other typical job. Especially if you're involving other popular talent in your spats and can hurt them and piss off their fans as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2