• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Clueless First Friend (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

What a lovely episode. That whole marinated eggs/magic spell and sending a pic to her Dad really got me in the feels. But that Kasahara is becoming a real pain in the butt. I mean, I love that all her schemes end up backfiring, but her presence is harshing my otherwise feel good vibes from this show. I guess it's probably too much to hope that a gang of yanquis snatch Kasahara off the street and curb stomp her, eh?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Bullies like Kasahara are the worst because they are vindictive. Sure, those 3 idiots are bad too, but even they have limits and are not the scheming types. Thankfully the episode has plenty of happy moments too and the dad is a good parent.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 07: Field Trips and the Magic of Marinated Eggs

Summary: Pending

Comments: I actually got a little teary-eyed when Akane's dad got the picture. Personally, I love it when things progress, especially when it's something as uplifting as this. It's only seven episodes in, but Akane has grown so much as a person, all thanks to a little attention and positivity from Taiyou.

The whole situation with the food actually reminds me of a time in 5th grade where I started a little X-Men fan club and had a small group of friends come over. My family wasn't rich (nor were the other kids'), but my mom cooked a bunch of Totino's Party Pizzas and threw in a couple of 2-liter sodas, and my friends and I just talked about the comics, animated series, and showed off our action figures for hours.

It was one of the funner times I had as a kid, and all thanks to some cheapo frozen pizzas. The big difference was that I only ever cooked them in the microwave, but my mother used the oven (I was too afraid to know how to operate it at the time), so they turned out great (and were much higher quality than today's recipe)!

I only had a couple of friends I would've considered "close," back then. But that pizza party started some new friendships.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu May 25, 2023 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 was great. There was Takada handling the bullies like a pro, Kasahara not saying anything, a date and a bit of drama that had a happy ending. That said, the fact that elementary schoolers are talking about not wanting grow old and become middle schoolers sure feels like a kick in the privates if you are passed 30 and suddenly feel like a dinosaur.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 08: Yukata, Jungle Gyms, and Orthopedic Casts

Comments: When you get into "I wanna' protect someone" territory, that's a pretty serious step. What makes it especially heartfelt, though, is that Taiyou is still completely oblivious to the romantic angle of his relationship with Akane. The innocence is too cute. I hope the story of this never gets into adolescent territory, because I feel it'll ruin much of the brevity if they start introducing any kind of teenage angst or something.

Japanese school festivals have always fascinated me. All my other grade schools had something similar, but from what I keep seeing in Japanese media (live-action or anime), theirs always seem way fancier and more refined. I guess it's a cultural thing.

It was also great to see Taiyou's mom. Like the old saying goes, "the apple doesn't fall from the tree." Well, I feel like Taiyou is an eternally-ripening apple that's still hanging from the stem. Those two are so alike, it was hilarious to see their personality in, both, kid and adult form.

Next to Skip and Loafer, I think is tied for the cheeriest show of the season.

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 was a nice sporty episode. The highlight of the episode was Nishimura and her making an effort while also making more friends and frenemies? That was a rather wacky run by Takada btw.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09: Run! Shout! Field Day

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10: My First Time Having Guests Over

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
And with the newest episode we might see some sort of actual romantic development in the future. Or, at the very least, Taiyou realizing there is something else besides friendship and what the difference between those feelings is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I get the sense that Takada and Nishimura have been scarred for life from seeing two middle school kids kiss in a park. Hey, maybe MaxSouth's sentiment is correct after all and the message that anime/manga sends with respect to romantic entanglements is the reason for Japan's low birthrate...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 11: The Swift Reaper Alliance, the Cursed Song, and Christmas

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12: The Christmas Party Confession

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:50 am Reply with quote
That was the last episode and it was a fun ride start to finish. Plenty of fun and cute moments and it was nice to see how Nishimura's world has changed a fair bit. New friends, one less bully and her slowly becoming more confident that she does deserve to be happy. There are sadly still some bullies left, but the ever positive Takada always takes care of them, though I do wonder how much he really understands about said bullying. Sometimes I wonder a bit about how clueless the first friend is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Cute show. I rated it Good. It was a little one note for me and I wish they'd stretched a bit more like when Takada feeling bad about calling Nishimura the Grim Reaper once he found out that her mother had died in childbirth. Or more emotional high points like when her Dad made his "magical eggs" that Nishimura got to share with friends. These are just quibbles, though. This was a dependably charming watch from start to finish.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
[Episode 13 - Pending]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2