• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Clueless First Friend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Nishimura finally puts the effort in to fix the rift in their relationship and Takada just doubles down on the rizz! He practically proposed marriage twice in this episode!
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the kids mend their relationship, and especially that it was Nishimura who reached out first, showing how she's grown.

The rest of the episode was fun, too, such as the scene of Takada (cluelessly?) putting a ring on Nishimura's finger, or Hino seeking out tank tops to take pictures of.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
she values Takada's friendship, and he has given her the courage to stand up for it – even when he says he has plans with Hino, she has the wherewithal to take hold of his hand. It's an important moment

I cheered when she reached out and grabbed his hand! It was such a great moment. I was so proud of her.

And, yes, I loved Hino’s photos of tank tops Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:57 am Reply with quote
Just watched the third episode. Oh noodles I'm happy I waited for the dub because it's excellent in this show!
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Glad to see the kids mend their relationship, and especially that it was Nishimura who reached out first, showing how she's grown.

The rest of the episode was fun, too, such as the scene of Takada (cluelessly?) putting a ring on Nishimura's finger, or Hino seeking out tank tops to take pictures of.

In a series of very cute scenes, this one was one of the most precious. Nishimura walks to Takada's house, and doesn't know why. But she changes as you say right here in front of us and proactively grabs Takada's hand and forces a talk about what is going on between them.

She is actually willing to fight for this relationship, and it works out. That was a beautiful moment in this wonderful story! spoiler[And then Takada puts a ring on her ring finger. The meaning of that is unclear for Takada, but Nishimura knows exactly what that means as she turns 3 different shades of red, and nearly burns up to a crisp.] So incredibly funny!

Clueless is my number 1 for the season, and perhaps the year. The warm and fuzzies just will not quit!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for next episode when, going by the episode title, Nishimura's circle of friends will grow. What a lucky break that Takada ended up in her class. She literally needed somebody of the almost superhuman level of cluelessness to get the ball rolling.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if Nishimura and Kasahara becoming class reps together will facilitate them becoming friends, especially since Nishimura is finally friends with Adachi. Though Takada will probably keep at least some tension in there.

I'm invested in TakadaxNishimura and AdachixHino now.

Seems like Takada's one weakness is thinking about romance! Not that his heart isn't stirring...
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I know the manga is ongoing, and I don't expect a 2nd season, I am hoping for an original ending, and have a time skip maybe to middle school. I have falling in love with these characters and I want to see what life lessons they learn will they take into middle school.

Can Takada wacky logic that talks is way out of bullying work when he is older perhaps against street thugs.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:01 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how the bullies are basically sabotaging themselves at this point.

I like how Takada was a little jealous of Nishimura and Umi together but also knew he needed to give them space.

It took this long for the teacher to actually comment on the grim reaper thing?

Good moments for both TakadaxNishimura and HinoxUmi.
dmanatunga

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:00 am Reply with quote
The scene with her dad got to me when I first read it in the manga, and even though I knew it was coming, it got to me again in the anime. Also, tiny Nishimura is totes adorbs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...they don't always learn their lesson.

One thing Kasahara apparently has learned is the trick of turning someone's words against them while sounding like you're enthusiastically agreeing with them. Just like Takada keeps doing to Kitagawa. She's still not quite as good at it as Takada though, probably because she's not as sincere as he is.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Just when I thought "My Clueless First Friend" couldn't get any better, it ups the ante majorly and delivers one very heartfelt EP 7 which delivers fields of feels! My goodness, the Dad is a superhero, and he knows the magic of love which he clearly feels for his daughter. Poor dad crying at his desk, was so pure like something never seen before. Broke me in half.

For my tastes this is the best anime of the year, a pure and real number 1! Every episode has topped the one before. I wonder how they end this wonderful thing at EP 13.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
Poor dad crying at his desk, was so pure like something never seen before. Broke me in half.

This was the moment I actually cried for the first time watching this anime. Did my best to hold it in while watching past episodes, but I just couldn’t beat the tears this time.

I know I said this in a previous post, but every child needs to watch this anime. It teaches lessons about bullying far better than anything you’d see on Nickelodeon, Disney, or CN.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I know I said this in a previous post, but every child needs to watch this anime. It teaches lessons about bullying far better than anything you’d see on Nickelodeon, Disney, or CN.

Not being a teacher, I have no contact with young people today. But I would most definitely second your observation. I think "My Clueless First Friend" could have an impact on the problem of bullying. Plus in this episode, the teacher finally speaks up about the Grim Reaper stuff.

And from another direction, Akane Nishimura is being love bombed by Taiyō Takada. She is not going to last the season at this rate. She needs to break out from some of her shyness, and deal back to Taiyō in the same coin that he is spending on her, make him embarrassed for a change, if that's at all possible with this kid.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 8
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
deal back to Taiyō in the same coin that he is spending on her, make him embarrassed for a change, if that's at all possible with this kid.

I don't think it's possible to embarrass Taiyõ. The class bullies give it their best shot, and come up empty-handed.

They're in elementary school (and will be next year, too)? I thought middle-school at least. And Taiyõ's big sister is in middle-school (which, I think, makes her antics with Akane as dress-up doll a bit more realistic).

Also, spoiler[of course Taiyõ thinks having a cast is just the coolest thing.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4