• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: MAPPA CEO Reflects on Financial Performance of Chainsaw Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
The director, Ryu Nakayama, decided to go for a more somber tone. Part of my issue with this choice is that the balancing of tones was part of what I loved about the manga. The pacing in the anime is oddly languid. I didn’t get a sense of urgency or the propulsive nature of the manga. Everything is flattened and kinda dull. The director is very talented but I didn’t love this adaptation and it seems that many fans in Japan weren’t particularly thrilled with it either. Plenty of people streamed it and Mappa’s CEO said it was a financial success but it’s rather telling that the hardcore fans who usually show up to buy the blurays didn’t materialize.

Its fine as an opinion, but objectivity is another matter.
SpookyDollhouse

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
The director, Ryu Nakayama, decided to go for a more somber tone. Part of my issue with this choice is that the balancing of tones was part of what I loved about the manga. The pacing in the anime is oddly languid. I didn’t get a sense of urgency or the propulsive nature of the manga. Everything is flattened and kinda dull. The director is very talented but I didn’t love this adaptation and it seems that many fans in Japan weren’t particularly thrilled with it either. Plenty of people streamed it and Mappa’s CEO said it was a financial success but it’s rather telling that the hardcore fans who usually show up to buy the blurays didn’t materialize.

When I read it I got a completely different vibe. It's only "propulsive" in its action scenes. It otherwise isn't fast-paced whatsoever. If you read it fast, maybe! I'm not a slow reader but I didn't blast through it in a day or week.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
But anime experts on Twitter told me that physical sales don't matter at all and that the industry doesn't care about that anymore. What's the deal?
catone2

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really like the direction of the anime, I'm not a movie buff so I don't care about it nor is it something I have interest in pursuing because Western movies are boring so it's whatever. That and it doesn't matter how many times people tell me Denji's henshin is not 3D, it looks 3D and that's not a good thing or worthy of praise, lol. It was also weirdly paced so I hope they fix that in the eventual 2nd half adaptation. Not sure if that contributed to it, but I saw a lot of people domestic dissatisfied with various points of it too, so maybe Fujimoto's wishes missed the mark.

Whatever though, at least the action was good. It's not a deep series and doesn't need to be, just as long as it's fun.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:36 pm Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:
That and it doesn't matter how many times people tell me Denji's henshin is not 3D, it looks 3D and that's not a good thing or worthy of praise, lol.

If anything, that's literally one of the most praise-worthy things about it. Not just in regards to the compositing of the anime mixing it near perfectly, but also of the actual drawings themselves having such volume and detail that it gives them a tridimensional feel.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
BluesPro wrote:
But anime experts on Twitter told me that physical sales don't matter at all and that the industry doesn't care about that anymore. What's the deal?

Yeah, a lot of Very Smart industry experts are probably feeling a bit awkward on social media right now, if they even acknowledge these comments.

I'll admit I was one of the people who enjoyed seeing Bocchi the Rock curbstomp Chainsaw Man's BD sales after the comments the director made about anime and other genres. It was nice to see him eat some humble pie and see the fans backup their favorite and how a "dumb moe anime that loves being an anime" was so successful. It was very cathartic. Obviously the show was never in danger of outright cancellation, but this is at least some kind of confirmation that it was a wake up call for them to listen to fan feedback which is nice, Of course Chainsaw Man selling as low as it for considering what other similar shows were selling signaled something was off.
catone2

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:04 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
If anything, that's literally one of the most praise-worthy things about it. Not just in regards to the compositing of the anime mixing it near perfectly, but also of the actual drawings themselves having such volume and detail that it gives them a tridimensional feel.

Sorry, I don't agree. I didn't want 3D/CG for CSM and then they go ahead and try to recreate that feel. I guess, good for you, animator, and your arthouse skills, but that's the exactly why it's so off-putting during battles and his movement. It glaringly sticks out and continuously bothers me as I watch it. The only time it worked is in the final battle because Samurai looked the same so it was just one big CG battle. Just not a direction I was okay with.

Avec ou Nous wrote:
It was nice to see him eat some humble pie and see the fans backup their favorite and how a "dumb moe anime that loves being an anime" was so successful. It was very cathartic. Obviously the show was never in danger of outright cancellation, but this is at least some kind of confirmation that it was a wake up call for them to listen to fan feedback which is nice, Of course Chainsaw Man selling as low as it for considering what other similar shows were selling signaled something was off.

Wait this nimrod made comments against his own medium and pop culture he works in? Ewww.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:12 pm Reply with quote
BluesPro wrote:

Avec ou Nous wrote:
Yeah, a lot of Very Smart industry experts are probably feeling a bit awkward on social media right now, if they even acknowledge these comments.

I'll admit I was one of the people who enjoyed seeing Bocchi the Rock curbstomp Chainsaw Man's BD sales after the comments the director made about anime and other genres. It was nice to see him eat some humble pie and see the fans backup their favorite and how a "dumb moe anime that loves being an anime" was so successful. It was very cathartic. Obviously the show was never in danger of outright cancellation, but this is at least some kind of confirmation that it was a wake up call for them to listen to fan feedback which is nice, Of course Chainsaw Man selling as low as it for considering what other similar shows were selling signaled something was off.

You know this article proves them correct, right? As stated in the article, the CSM anime was a financial success. That's all that matters to a business. Would they want more physical copy sales? Of course, as it was an underperforming sector, but that didn't stop them from making enough money elsewhere.

I hate having to bring this up every time ignorant people bring up home media sales to claim how popular or how successful a series is, but Physical media sales in Japan will continue to be one of the least important aspects of the overall revenue engine, no matter how much you want it to prove your bias. In FY2021 (the last published data from the AJA) home video sales accounted for 3.92% of the entire anime market. And that number has been on the decline for the last decade. So, is it still important? Of course, literally any revenue stream is "important" to a company, but it remains one of the smallest and most insignificant portions of the pie. This is publicly available information from the AJA's website, just go look at it yourself before arguing dumb points.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Shojo anime fans would love to have an anime adaptation as good as Chainsaw Man but shonen manga fans always act like the most badly treated.
catone2

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
@TasteyCookie

What exactly are you even addressing in the 2nd post?
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:27 pm Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:
Wait this nimrod made comments against his own medium and pop culture he works in? Ewww.

No, he didn't. He never even remotely did. It's just people wildly taking his quotes from certain interviews out of context or twisting them to support their own "controversy" narratives. Nakayama is someone who's been in the industry for quite a long time, particularly being one of the biggest rising talents during the time "webgen animation" was becoming big, and has gained friendship and respect with people like Tatsuya Yoshihara and Shun Enokido because of it. Anyone who comes with this story of "Nakayama did CSM in a non-anime way because he hates anime" is a complete dunce.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel like people are taking Nakayama's interview in the wrong sense. I didn't read him as dumping on moe anime. Just expressing that it has become stylistically oversaturated on the market and he wanted to try to make a work in the opposite direction.

Good to know the show was a success, this was a risk on MAPPA's part to fund it themselves. Blu ray sales not matching Jujutsu Kaisen's is not a negative though an obviously over-ambitious goal. JJK is very popular, and has a lot more episodes behind it and a far more accesible shonen formula.

Looks like another season of Chainsaw-Man will go the production committee route. I think that ought to make a 24 episode 2nd season easier to greenlight and adapt the entirety of Part 1.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:10 pm Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:

What exactly are you even addressing in the 2nd post?

That having low home video sales is not a "wake-up call" that indicates something needs to change, or that industry experts are "feeling awkward" about saying home video sales don't indicate success.
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:17 pm Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:

There were some comments Ryu Nakayama made that rubbed anime fans the wrong way in both Japan and overseas when he talked about making directing Chainsaw Man.

"When I was in junior high school, "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" was broadcast late at night, and anime boomed. However, there is a certain "type" of TV anime. The so-called Akiba-kei, moe, and other fixed concepts in subcultures, such as girls having green or pink hair, are examples of this. However, animation itself is not an expressive technique that can only be achieved by relying on such things. I always wanted to make something that could be seen by adults, something that would be powerful enough to withstand the viewpoint of appreciation of the work. When it came time to make an animated version of "Chainsaw Man," I looked for links to what I wanted to do, and since I myself love movies and Mr. Fujimoto also loves movies, I thought it would be interesting to incorporate the essence of the realistic and cinematic. Rather than a personal selfishness, I was convinced that this would benefit the work."

The comment about pink haired girls and anime being childish blew up especially with Bocchi the Rock which went on to sell almost 20K a volume.

TasteyCookie wrote:
You know this article proves them correct, right? As stated in the article, the CSM anime was a financial success. That's all that matters to a business. Would they want more physical copy sales? Of course, as it was an underperforming sector, but that didn't stop them from making enough money elsewhere.

The article quite literally says they were disappointed with the BD sales and wished they were stronger. No one is arguing the show wasn't "financially successful" just they were not a fan of the series and evidently enough people felt the anime was not worth purchasing on home video like their previous works and other rival series. Considering how big Chainsaw Man's manga sales were prior to the anime, it was hyped up substantially and had huge expectations. And people found it disappointing. Myself included. It's noteworthy to point this out because Chainsaw Man should have sold a lot more than it did. That indicates there's something that series like Jujutsu Kaisen and Kimetsu no Yaiba did much more successfully in it's anime adaption that Chainsaw Man failed to do. People are still going to watch a the adaption because it's Chainsaw Man, but not many are going to think it's worth buying or collecting.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Out of the nearly 500 anime I've watched since 2019, this is the only action shounen that caught my attention and that I truly loved. So that should say something right there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4