• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki's How Do You Live? Film Will Get No Trailers Before Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He mentioned that some films spoil their stories through their trailers, pointing fingers at a certain Hollywood film that will open in Japan around the same time as How Do You Live?

I am curious which movie he means, I looked at the upcoming releases for Japan on IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/calendar/?region=jp

I am wondering if they mean Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse or The Flash.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:33 pm Reply with quote
If I actually am willing to see it based on nothing more than Miyazaki's name (which I am), then I've got nothing to complain about here. I don't feel belittled or anything. Why would I? He's earned my trust over many years and many films. The strategy here is to create buzz using secrecy, but that's also going to depend heavily on word-of-mouth to carry it beyond opening weekend. I think they must be very confident in what they have here.

And while I hope that the theory subtly referenced in the first post of this thread does turn out to be true, I'll try not to set my heart on any one thing, and go in with an open mind for whatever rabbit hole he chooses to head down.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This kind of stunt might work in Japan but even with Miyazaki's legacy, I worry this might effect it's release internationally. Like Miyazaki is a huge name in the US even among casual animation fans, but how many casual animation fans even know that there's a new Miyazaki movie coming out in a few weeks? I hope they'll allow GKids to create their own trailer and do things like dub cast announcements which is important to boosting voice actors' profiles. Miyazaki might not need the marketing boost but it would be helpful for other people involved with the film. And even if you argue Miyazaki is a big enough name to not need a trailer, not releasing a cast list rubs me the wrong way.

Yea, they really just must have their heads extremely far up their own butts to pull a stunt like this. It reads as this pretentious, egotistical move more than anything.

Life has been so hectic for me that I had no idea Miyazaki was actually even finished working on this thing. And even though his name is enough to get even western viewers in seats, most people are also so caught up in their own worlds that shadowdropping a film like this will totally cost them. They best not be surprised if this movie bombs just because they couldn't bother to even let folks know of its existence.

Also like you said, it does potentially hurt others and their careers in various ways. I kinda feel bad for those involved in a project that is treating Miyazaki as the most important element to the point where they will bend to his arbitrary, ridiculous demands. Miyazaki couldn't make any film without these other people.

I love some of Miyazaki's films, but every time you hear about this dude behind the scenes he really just comes off as an arrogant a-hole. Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2