• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Helck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Guess they need a bigger map! Laughing

It would have been interesting to see the two on a deserted island instead of an inhabited one so they have to deal with each other. Then make it so they can't get off the island, add a few time skips to have some relationship progress... Though then it'd probably be a different show lol
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
It would have been interesting to see the two on a deserted island instead of an inhabited one so they have to deal with each other. Then make it so they can't get off the island, add a few time skips to have some relationship progress... Though then it'd probably be a different show lol
Like that part in Nadia? Well they also had a small child, but that was about it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:33 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Like that part in Nadia? Well they also had a small child, but that was about it.[/quote]
Nadia Secret of Blue Water? Sure? I don't really remember it ^^;
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The anime didn't go over it but Azudora and Verm are higher ranked than the demon lord hence why they don't take the position.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I hope there is another cour coming in the future, because even though I've not read the Manga, even I can tell that there is too much story for them to even wrap up the more intimidate plot points
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
^ We have a confirmed second cour, yes. Even the OP artist was revealed animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-07-26/aimi-performs-helck-tv-anime-2nd-opening-theme-song/.200668
zeroHgp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:11 am Reply with quote
The reason why Vermilio or Azudra won't become the new demon lord is because they are higher rank than demon lord. The anime skip but the structure in the Empire is like this: Demon Lords < Four Heavenly Kings < Demon Emperor. There are multiple Demon Lords which each one control one domain with castle. Currently, 2 Demon Lords are destroyed with the first one is killed by Helck's brother and other is killed by the wing soldier army. The tournament is used to choose a new Demon Lord to replace the one that got killed by Helcks brother and it is supervised by one of the Four Heavenly King who has higher rank than Demon Lord
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:52 am Reply with quote
The anime hasn't explained demon ranking yet because the manga hasn't either. I am not reading ahead, so unless I already forgot something, I'm pretty sure those are all (minor) spoilers.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:21 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
The anime hasn't explained demon ranking yet because the manga hasn't either. I am not reading ahead, so unless I already forgot something, I'm pretty sure those are all (minor) spoilers.

The 2nd chapter of the manga told you that the 4 Heavenly Kings govern the land and a demon king held a castle. The 4th chapter gives you this chart on the very first page.

Last edited by Leviathonlx1 on Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:

The 2nd chapter of the manga told you that the 4 Heavenly Kings govern the land and a demon king held a castle. The 4th chapter gives you this chart on the very first page.

Hmm, so you are right. I guess the adaptation didn't go out of its way to insert a scene to communicate this clearly, even if the latest episode was a decent opportunity (it would be a bit silly to explain it to the other demons, but it would have been something). Never mind then.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
In case that link didn't work for anyone else, this slightly truncated version turned up an image for me: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/helck/images/5/58/Hierarchy.jpg
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Bit weird replying when I was the last one to do so as well, but I kind of am shocked to find I will slightly miss this little island arc? I thought its cast would feel completely forgettable to me, but I actually kinda sorta care about them, a little, maybe (", b-baka").
moozooh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
That's how I usually feel about Satoshi Mizukami's characters: his works always have these sprawling ensemble casts, and they have so much whimsy and charisma and soul behind them it's impossible to remain indifferent.

And Helck is exactly the same in that regard and is probably the closest I've seen to a Mizukami's work to come from under a different author's pen.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:10 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Mizukami... oh, looking at the wiki, he's the Planet With fellow? I've not read any of his work, and I didn't make it far in Lucifier and the Biscuit Hammer's anime, but I really enjoyed Planet With. And, mm, I think I could see some of what you're saying in it; many of PW's characters I also, looking back, am somewhat shocked to find I became attached to. Naturally wiki lists FLCL as a key influence on him. Laughing

In Helck's case, I will say I wrote the above post after pausing the episode, all of 30 seconds before the little green bird-brain (Piwi? Pwipwi..?) popped out of the barrel on their ship. Be still my heart. Surprised

EDIT: Also, I think this is the first episode where I've begun to enjoy Anne's characterization. Her suspicion of Helck has been natural, but it is nice to see her show a bit more than just that one-dimensional obsession with teikoku defense. Of course, Helck still is his cheery 1-d self, even if the show keeps hinting at darker depths; I'm looking forward to him changing, whether in eruption or gradually...
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:36 am Reply with quote
zeroHgp wrote:
The reason why Vermilio or Azudra won't become the new demon lord is because they are higher rank than demon lord. The anime skip but the structure in the Empire is like this: Demon Lords < Four Heavenly Kings < Demon Emperor. There are multiple Demon Lords which each one control one domain with castle. Currently, 2 Demon Lords are destroyed with the first one is killed by Helck's brother and other is killed by the wing soldier army. The tournament is used to choose a new Demon Lord to replace the one that got killed by Helcks brother and it is supervised by one of the Four Heavenly King who has higher rank than Demon Lord

it makes you wonder who the hell could the demon emperor be? and why isnt he at the forefront in this war? especially since it will be apparant that only this emperor and helck might be only ones who can take on the human king (who i dont believe is even one himself, but an angel in disguise) as an equal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3