• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Scott Pilgrim Anime Series' Teaser Video Reveals November 17 Premiere on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Manic Pixie Dream Girl! Laughing

If ya want to watch the cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World reunite years later to do a hilarious table read for charity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKqKLnsmoK4

Looked at a little of that video yesterday. It's weird to see Michael Cera with facial hair.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Scott Pilgrim in an era of nonstop social media discourse where nobody has any degree of reading comprehension is going to be great.
NieR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Haven't been this excited to see anything new from Netflix this year since Nimona.

Can't wait to see the Scott Pilgrim anime in 3 months!
RickyTheRat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:35 am Reply with quote
BluesPro wrote:
Scott Pilgrim in an era of nonstop social media discourse where nobody has any degree of reading comprehension is going to be great.

I think that will depend how accurate it is to the comics.

But at the same time, Ramona Flowers became a real 'you missed the point by idolizing them' character when the original live-action movie came out so I wonder if that'll happen again for a new generation of women.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:30 am Reply with quote
Octorockandroll wrote:
I'm a tiny bit concerned that they don't seem to be following the comic super closely, but everything else looks and sounds like it was plucked straight from my dreams. Idk if I can wait until November

Can you tell that already from the trailer? Did anything stick out? I admit I haven't read the comic in ages but I'm just happy the art and animation look nice. I am now a bit worried they might try to ape the movie more than the original comic though
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The cast list gets funnier every time I look at it. One of those films with a Murderers' Row of stars in the making. Even more extreme than Disney´s Ghibli dubs. The chiptune band that scored the Ubisoft game is also scoring the anime. Insane.

The comic has an Akira (the manga) homage during a DBZ homage. Kinda curious about how they will do it here. This is a full-on anime. They better commit to the bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The animation seems to have a very Studio Trigger quality going on. And a good one, not that Supernatural Commonplace one.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:13 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
The animation seems to have a very Studio Trigger quality going on. And a good one, not that Supernatural Commonplace one.

It's largely the artstyle, it already felt like a Trigger effort when it was just in Graphic Novel form. This is just Science SARU bringing that vibe to life. And honestly, if I were to choose a studio that could do it, SARU would be the second choice, right behind Trigger themselves. Though they're busy.
kaoru99

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:19 am Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Can you tell that already from the trailer? Did anything stick out? I admit I haven't read the comic in ages but I'm just happy the art and animation look nice. I am now a bit worried they might try to ape the movie more than the original comic though

There's a quote floating around from O'Malley saying not to expect the comic since he already did it. It'll probably be it's own thing or alt-universe thing that blend. I'm just happy they're using the comic designs. Hopefully it isn't too modern.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:
I'm a tiny bit concerned that they don't seem to be following the comic super closely, but everything else looks and sounds like it was plucked straight from my dreams. Idk if I can wait until November

Nothing huge but just presentation. Stuff happening slightly differently, locations changing for certain events that sort of thing.

Prolly not that big of a deal but I'm hoping for a faithful adaptation after the movie, as good as it was, took a hard left turn away from the source material like halfway through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2