• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reflecting on Aerith's Death on the Eve of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uchay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:03 am Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
IAnd Sephiroth gets redeemed because he was just misunderstood. Laughing

You joke, but the way direction is going, it really looks like they want to, at very least, make Sephiroth look like an antihero with more plans and personality beyond being Jenova's mindbended slave, in part because of how his "relationship" with Cloud was framed after the original game came out by the extra content. It could pay off, but I always thought everyone making those two out like lifebound rivals or some sort was weird.

Let's be honest here, in the original, Sephiroth wasn't a character. He was a plot device and a Force of Nature being controlled by the actual mastermind Jenova, that's it. His "relationship" with Cloud was the most non-existent and boring thing about the game.

As for Aerith's death, I always thought it was too important to the original and even the FF7 spin offs. It ties with the thematic and overall vibe of the game. I just hope they deal with it right.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:35 am Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
You joke, but the way direction is going, it really looks like they want to, at very least, make Sephiroth look like an antihero with more plans and personality beyond being Jenova's mindbended slave, in part because of how his "relationship" with Cloud was framed after the original game came out by the extra content. It could pay off, but I always thought everyone making those two out like lifebound rivals or some sort was weird.

Let's be honest here, in the original, Sephiroth wasn't a character. He was a plot device and a Force of Nature being controlled by the actual mastermind Jenova, that's it. His "relationship" with Cloud was the most non-existent and boring thing about the game.

People tend to forget (or just don't know since they never played 7) the Sephiroth you constantly encounter in the original is actually Jenova and you don't meet the actual Sephiroth until like halfway through the second disk. But yes, Zack had more of a thing with Sephiroth than Cloud ever did which was kind of the point of his backstory that I consider a bigger spoiler than Aerith's death ever was: Cloud's a nobody.

Giving Sephiroth more agency is fine since he is one of those villains who technically doesn't do much but gets absurdly popular regardless, but if the game ends with the Nibelheim gang of Cloud, Tifa, Zack, and Sephiroth sharing drinks and being friends again, well... people also asked for Zenos redemption in FF14 so nothing surprises me but that'd be weird.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:42 am Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
I'm not a fan of the stuff they've done already. I won't get into Rebirth stuff due to spoilers and it being new, but in Remake the little changes like making it so it was Shinra who made the reactor explosion worse to absolve Jesse and the others of being responsible for killing people, or making it so the Turks didn't want to do the plate collapsing thing to make them more redeemable felt like cop-outs and trying to make the character less fallible and interesting. Rebirth continues this trend, but again I wont get into it here.

See, that kind of thing is why I didn't pick up Remake, and won't play any of the others. Crusty old FFVII fan that I am (I was heavily into the fandom, and was on the staff of a well-known fansite, back in the day), and familiar with Nojima's retcons and such from the Compilation, I just knew that there would be aspects of the Re Trilogy that wouldn't sit well with me. Like taking away the more morally ambiguous aspects of the game, as you've pointed out. And that's not even getting into all the "changing fate" stuff...

Avec ou Nous wrote:
People tend to forget (or just don't know since they never played 7) the Sephiroth you constantly encounter in the original is actually Jenova and you don't meet the actual Sephiroth until like halfway through the second disk. But yes, Zack had more of a thing with Sephiroth than Cloud ever did which was kind of the point of his backstory that I consider a bigger spoiler than Aerith's death ever was: Cloud's a nobody.

Yes! That entire sequence in the crater, when you learn the truth of what happened in Nibelheim, and what Cloud's role in the Reunion is, hit me harder than Aerith's death.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2