• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Guinness World Records Names Jujutsu Kaisen 'Most In-Demand Animated TV Show'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
Among all the really popular anime of recent years, this is the one that I've found the most baffling to become such an extreme mega-huge hit. Nothing about it really stands out to me as particularly unique. Stuff like Blue Exorcist, Noragami, and Twin Star Exorcists seemed to do the same sort of thing, but with a much stronger hook IMO. (Or even the highly underappreciated favorite of mine, Tokyo Ravens.) Different strokes, I guess...

Purely anime wise, Twin Star and Blue Exorcist are pretty mid adaptions, so it isn’t that shocking. Say what you will about JJK, but as an adaption, it’s always given the full treatment (even at the animators expense)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:43 pm Reply with quote
dmanatunga wrote:
Cho_Desu wrote:
Among all the really popular anime of recent years, this is the one that I've found the most baffling to become such an extreme mega-huge hit. Nothing about it really stands out to me as particularly unique. Stuff like Blue Exorcist, Noragami, and Twin Star Exorcists seemed to do the same sort of thing, but with a much stronger hook IMO. (Or even the highly underappreciated favorite of mine, Tokyo Ravens.) Different strokes, I guess...

Whoaaaa, another Tokyo Ravens fan. I didn't know they existed.

I only ever did JJK as manga, but I fell off when I got tired of reading all the explanations for everyone's powers.

We definitely exist!
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:25 am Reply with quote
Jujutsu Kaisen stays winning.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:48 am Reply with quote
Say what you want about GWR and JJK, from marketing perspective, it's a definite win. Now the producers and licensors can proudly slap that title onto any promotion materials.
Vent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:43 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Jujutsu Kaisen stays winning.

Because MAPPA or Crunchyroll paid Guinness to make up a record for them. Just look at the incredibly spurious data set for what decides "most in-demand".

I like JJK too (MAPPA's terrible production issues aside) but please don't buy into the hype. This means nothing except money exchanging hands for a new advertising bullet point.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
Because MAPPA or Crunchyroll paid Guinness to make up a record for them. Just look at the incredibly spurious data set for what decides "most in-demand".

I like JJK too (MAPPA's terrible production issues aside) but please don't buy into the hype. This means nothing except money exchanging hands for a new advertising bullet point.

You can say that about all awards and recognition as well yet people still value it whenever a movie or show gets those. These things can be fun as long as you treat them as just that and realize all forms of critique and recognition are fabricated and the only thing that genuinely matters for success is sales number and revenue. But even then, JJK is still doing very well on that front as well so I wouldn't say this is egregious. It's not like they named some unpopular show no one watches as the most hyped just because the person in charge of it was personally interested in it.
Vent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:49 pm Reply with quote
It's not the same as other awards because you literally pay Guiness to make up an award for you. It means as much as having a "World's Greatest Dad" mug.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:09 am Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:

As a huge fan of all of these, Jujutsu Kaisen takes the cake because it does urban fantasy the best out of all of these series (even Tokyo Ravens, which I too believe is highly underappreciated) and especially knocks it out of the park when it comes to developing themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2