• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Nurse Angel Ririka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayechu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
The Magical Girl genre isn't dead. Just like everything else there will be good shows and bad. I know Princess Tutu has had a small but loud following and it seems like Pretty Cure has had a good run.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was much easier to find than I thought. I found 18 (out of 35) subbed episodes online although I cannot say where. Time to check out this buried treasure ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
The only magical girl anime i've ever liked was Dream Hunter Rem which got released on dvd recently in Japan. I've only seen the half of the first episode but it was a great show.

I have also want to see the original Fashion Lala OVA from 1988 too.
Kerochan no Miko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
Ririka was hard for me to get through, because of the massive amounts of stock footage you have to wade through in every episode. I mean, just to attack, Ririka has to summon her baton thing, then charge up the baton thing, then attack. And the middle bogs down a bit when it becomes kind of formulaic. But the end was more than worth it.

I've been meaning to dig up my old VHS fansubs and give it a re-watch one of these days.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Kerochan no Miko wrote:
Ririka was hard for me to get through, because of the massive amounts of stock footage you have to wade through in every episode. I mean, just to attack, Ririka has to summon her baton thing, then charge up the baton thing, then attack. And the middle bogs down a bit when it becomes kind of formulaic. But the end was more than worth it.

Totally. I give the series a pass for the formula and the banked animation, as those shortcomings are almost expected for the genre. But that ending...

spoiler[There are very, very few things in the world that are sadder than a child mentally preparing to die. Add in trying to keep it a secret and suffering in silence, and it's just CRUSHING. I doubt anybody who has seen the ending will forget it, especially its last 30 seconds.]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
Mahou Shoujo is definitely not dead in Japan, I think fandom has currently been overrun with the shounen JUMP style fandom so Naruto & Bleach get the attention. But "Full Moon wo Sagashite" was a very good Shoujo show with a gut wrenching ending. And Futago Hime is a fun magical girl show from Juniichi Satoh (director of Princess Tutu, which was also an awesome "Magical Girl"... kinda, show)
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like an interesting show, might have to see about checking it out.

As for the link, man I haven't seen that clip in years! It would have been a truly sad day if that had come to pass. At least the Japanese Live action stayed decently close to the original manga and was acutally pretty good entertainment. I wonder who's bright idea it was to make them surf around in space. . . . Although I have always wondered out the scouts move between planets. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hooliganj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Count another vote for someone who made it all the way through Ririka and loved it, despite the generic middle eps. My local anime club had a complete set, but I don't know what became of it.

While we're recommending older magical girl shows, it's be a shame not to mention that stellar example of the genre - Hime-chan's Ribon. That's a show that deserves to be Buried Treasure.

Also, aside from the earlier mention of a 3rd season for Lyrical Nanoha, Futago Boshi has a 2nd season, and PreCure is in its 5th and still one of the top rated anime in Japan. So I wouldn't say the genre is dead or even dying - just not currently producing anything that appeals to those creepy old men.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Looks like other people beat me to mentioning Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha... you really should do some basic research before doing something like calling a genre dead. That show has a third season on the way, and its got a nice sized fanbase. There's a fairly large number of people (myself included) that are waiting anxiously for Nanoha StrikerS to start.

Rather than taking the usual route of packing the show down with fanservice and/or playing by the numbers and hoping that people will take notice (there's a tame fanservice episode early on and several of the girls have big boobs and Arf's costume shows a bit of skin (nothing too impractical, though), and Fate's (second season) and Nanoha's transformation sequences were obviously meant to appeal to lolicons (blegh), but even if that stuff bugs you, you'll forget all about it next to the show's good points, and the third season looks relatively loli-free), MGLN seperates itself from that pack with REALLY good fight scenes and characters that you can actually give a damn about, including a few legitimately cool badasses. (Fate = most badass little girl ever)

If you think that mahou shoujo is dead, then you need to watch MGLN. (watch at least through episode 4... the show is just typical magical girl crap until Fate shows up)
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I managed to get the fansubs on VHS for this series a loooong time ago...I thought it was SO cute, too! I really enjoyed the music. I loved it to the point that I even paid for an extra tape that had the manga ending 'scanlated' on it and set to music. Anime hyper Ahh, memories...I was always kind of hoping that since Fancy LaLa made it over here, this one and Hime-chan no Ribon (also cute as I don't know what, with equally cute music by SMAP) would too. Sigh. =(

Well, I'm just happy to see a positive review on it so that it will get a bit of attention. Smile
Cave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
I was able to get 2 VHS fansubs of this series a couple years ago (to which my friends thought I was insane to get! But we got the special "fill this box with all the tapes you want for $20" deal. ^.-) I instantly loved it! I absolutely love the opening and ending songs (had no idea Kajiura did the opening music! That's something else!) and I adored the characters. The bad guys had these voices that were insane!

I definitely agree with everything in the review. Great series, though there are the stereotpyical themes going on, but its worth it. I'd really hope to get some more fansubs (well, I did try at one point and that's a fun story) or a US release of it would be -really sweet-. O: I'm hoping this review will maybe help some company see the potential for this anime. I can't afford much anime, but Ririka is something I'd definitely save up for.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
spoiler[There are very, very few things in the world that are sadder than a child mentally preparing to die.]

Be sure to read/watch Bokurano then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I have a quick question about the amazon.jp link. Is it possible to order from them if I am in the US and do they even ship internationally?
Just wondering, because I am thinking about getting this along with a couple other DVD's.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
JHawkNH wrote:
I have a quick question about the amazon.jp link. Is it possible to order from them if I am in the US and do they even ship internationally?

I didn't see any "will not ship internationally" (海外発送はしません) note, so it should be able to be purchased overseas, as long as you are willing to pay the shipping fee.

EDIT: Heck, I used my own Amazon.jp account to try it out for you, and for shipping to Taiwan (I assume it's all the same when shipping internationally) the fee is 900 Yen for economy (surface) and 1,700 Yen for express (air). Really trivial compared to its 33,730 Yen price tag.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vikio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I just went and watched some of it on, ahem "that site with all the videos" Wink And you're right, it's not simple magical fluff, right from the start I could see a bit more effort than usual put into the characters and setting up scenes. Plus, the first few seconds of the opening song sound JUST like "It's a Wonderful Life" by "Ace of Base". That by itself takes you back in time a good 20 years.
*goes to watch the rest of the ep while singing* - "You can do what you want, just seize the day, what you're doing tomorrow's gonna come your wa-ay.."

Edit: toward the end of the first episode all the magical transformation & battle stuff starts, and I gotta say the Engrish was a bit depressing. "Sparkle Medication", and "Angel Aid Bomb Beam" were almost too much Rolling Eyes What posessed them to unite concepts like "Angel, heavenly light shining through darkness" with "Nurse, First Aid, medication"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3