• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: North American Manga Sales Fell 15% in 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Nah, it basically is additive. There may be some <1% that somehow disappear but such an amount is so tiny it may as well be negligible. Typically if it's uploaded to the Internet, then it stays on the Internet. It may not be in the first place it was originally uploaded to, but it's still there.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

If people use the "it's because of the econony, not piracy"...after the economic meltdown, the drop in sales has actually declined. Which suggests that it's definitely piracy.

An Economy crashing does not have to have immediate results in all areas affected. Some companies can survive the first massive hit but not the prolonged stretch of downsized number of sales.

The Manga Market seems to be mirroring the Anime Market of a few years back, complete with the Piracy debate but it's different here. I'm not arguing Pirarcy is not a part of it, but with books or medium printed media, it's not the same as Anime. People don't want to read books/manga/comics/whatever on their computer, because computer screens suck. They want to read it printed or on a device with E-ink.

More then likely, I see the fall having to do with people realizing they are spending X amount each week on a media they don't need to, and cutting back.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
No more Naruto Ninja Generation Campaign, lesser sales. Not to mention the current tri-monthly releases, but that's what happens when we're dangerously close to the Japanese releases.
Erunno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
Can't have possibly anything to do with the high unemployment rate, the stagnating or falling wages and the uncertainty people have towards the future. No, must be pirates. Damn pirates.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote
Well, uh, I proudly bought that $20 Magic Knight Rayearth omnibus at Books-A-Million yesterday.

Yay...? Neutral
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Oh, I believe people are still reading manga... they're just getting around the costs. My husband just downloaded a free app for the iphone from apple's app store that I believe is hardly legal. It's a manga reader that has HUNDREDS of titles scanlated. I know it can't be right....

I feel dirty just having it on my phone... seriously, if it's this easy to read manga without paying for it, you can't tell me more people aren't doing it. Sure, I think the economy has a little effect on it, but.. the easiness of not paying for it.... isn't helping. LOL.. I remember offering to lend out manga to a girl I knew at work, or even just asking her if she read the latest volume and she would say, "I read it on-line." For shame, for shame... I think I'm gunna go delete that app now.

Remember people, money makes the world go 'round.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Beni_Hime wrote:
Oh, I believe people are still reading manga... they're just getting around the costs. My husband just downloaded a free app for the iphone from apple's app store that I believe is hardly legal. It's a manga reader that has HUNDREDS of titles scanlated. I know it can't be right....

I feel dirty just having it on my phone... seriously, if it's this easy to read manga without paying for it, you can't tell me more people aren't doing it. Sure, I think the economy has a little effect on it, but.. the easiness of not paying for it.... isn't helping. LOL.. I remember offering to lend out manga to a girl I knew at work, or even just asking her if she read the latest volume and she would say, "I read it on-line." For shame, for shame... I think I'm gunna go delete that app now.

Eh. I've read a few titles online in my time, it's really not a pleasant experience, any prolonged staring at my computer screen gives me a headache. It's a serious trade-off, scanlations may be free, but they are often inferior quality and give you head-aches. I buy most of my manga and I like doing so, because it's so much better to read it in print. Plus you know supporting the industry and the people who made it and all that jazz.
I seriously think the economy has a bunch bigger impact then scanlations. If people don't have the money, they don't tend to read it on line, they tend to just drop it completely.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
J. Kudo wrote:
Well, uh, I proudly bought that $20 Magic Knight Rayearth omnibus at Books-A-Million yesterday.

Yay...? Neutral
Yay!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Beni_Hime wrote:

That's basically the thing, manga is one of the most easy things to get illegally so no one really supports it anymore. To get a best selling title you only need to sell a couple thousand copies. Personally I don't see manga ever recovering so I can only hope that it stops hemorrhaging money so I can still support the thing 5 years from now.
Dino_rawrz_at_u

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
basically i blame Piracy and the encomy.People dont have the money to buy manga they even raise the price to 10.99 to 12.99 it used to be only like 7.89.I wish people would stop putting manga online because it is hurting manga complanies.Thats why i am trying to support manga by buying the complete chobits Omnibus Edition books for 32 dollars also last month i brought 2 volumes of spice and wolf to support yen press.
<(0oo<)
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Dino_rawrz_at_u wrote:
basically i blame Piracy and the encomy.People don't have the money to buy manga they even raise the price to 10.99 to 12.99 it used to be only like 7.89.I wish people would stop putting manga online because it is hurting manga complanies.Thats why i am trying to support manga by buying the complete chobits Omnibus Edition books for 32 dollars also last month i brought 2 volumes of spice and wolf to support yen press.
<(0oo<)

They raise prices to combat the drop in people buying it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think the economy is a much bigger factor than piracy. Manga scanlations have been around for a long time and have always been easier to get than anime. That didn't stop people from buying manga in the past.

The economy is really awful right now. I should know I have been out of work for a long time and only recently got a long term temporary job (what's going to happen after that I don't know). I know a lot of people are in the same situation as me and just can't afford to buy everything they want.

I still buy manga but I am way more picky than I was in the past. I will only collect a series if it is finished in Japan and if it doesn't have a million volumes. I just can't afford anything else.

And actually I read far more scanlations in the past and bought more manga because of it. When I read scanlations I knew what I was getting into. I don't really read scans anymore because I hate reading on the computer so now I need to know I like the manga based on some other factor, like the anime was so awesome (Cross Game). This does limit what I buy in the end.

In the end people just have less disposable income to spend. Manga is a niche and entertainment so it is going to be adversely affected during an economic down turn. It doesn't help that the market is so over saturated either.

Of course I am not saying that piracy is not a factor at all. I am sure there are people who will read a series Online and think its not worth buying. But if they don't like the series they might be right.

I do think even in an economic down turn people will support what they think is worthy. It just might not be enough to support the industry.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Dino_rawrz_at_u wrote:
basically i blame Piracy and the encomy.People don't have the money to buy manga they even raise the price to 10.99 to 12.99 it used to be only like 7.89.I wish people would stop putting manga online because it is hurting manga complanies.Thats why i am trying to support manga by buying the complete chobits Omnibus Edition books for 32 dollars also last month i brought 2 volumes of spice and wolf to support yen press.
<(0oo<)

If you buy manga online, like at Rightstuf, it's a lot cheaper. Say the Yen Press title of Black God I pre-ordered this Friday...online, it's at $8.39 right now. Plus my 10% membership discount, so $7.55, which is cheaper than the low price you mentioned.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I honestly think the economy is a much bigger factor than piracy. Manga scanlations have been around for a long time and have always been easier to get than anime. That didn't stop people from buying manga in the past.

Economy and piracy are related. As the economy gets worse and people earn less and less, more and more people resort to piracy out of necessity. At some point, they simply cannot afford as much as they did earlier, but they cannot get away from it. So as one goes down (economy), it pushes the other (piracy) up. They're not separate.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
I would love to buy more manga than I do, but I'm a poor student living away from my parents, who needs to eat, first and foremost. If it weren't for the perpetual 3 for 2 offer on manga in my local comic shop, I would buy far less than I do. I do shop online, as well, for things the comic shop doesn't have in stock, but I prefer buying from brick and mortar stores, as I like having the books in my hand instantly, rather than waiting for them to be delivered. As a teenager, I had far more disposable income to spend on manga, because I didn't have to pay for rent, food or bills, and I was in a band that played at events like weddings etc, so could earn up to 80 pounds a night for 4 hours work (at max) and there were usually 2-3 gigs a month. These days, far fewer people have 400 pounds to spend on a 5 piece band for a wedding party, they get something cheaper instead. Now, I work for minimum wage in a call centre around my university course and am still perpetually overdrawn and have to beg my parents for rent money occasionally. I try to buy as much as I can, but the internet is a very tempting source (Yes, I do download scans, but I try and stick to unlicensed series and I'm not proud of it) of unlimited free manga and anime.

I think a fair few people who were buying manga in the boom years are in a similar position to myself (ie who are now grown up teenagers), and are now in college and having to support themselves, so have less money to spend on manga. I'm far more picky about what I buy now, I buy far less BL as I've realised most of it's utterly mediocre and the same as every other BL book out there. (There are some notable exceptions though.) There's also been a lot of mediocre manga released over here (coughTokyopopcough) that I never felt was worth buying anyway. I also tend to stick to short series that are complete in Japan so I know what I'm getting into. I gave up on Bleach as I couldn't afford to keep buying it, and it was getting boring anyway. The longest series I own all of is Fruits Basket. I need to buy the rest of Kare Kano and Tsubasa Chronicle. I also have all of Nodame Cantabile that was released, but I'll be very lucky if I ever get to finish that (*shakes fist*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3