• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Highlander: The Search for Vengeance Trailer Released

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Zac: I hear the tv shows are actually pretty good.

I'm biased, I guess. I never really liked it in the first place; it appealed way too much to the "ponytailed, trenchcoat-wearing, sword-collecting supergeek who takes himself too seriously" demographic. Plus everyone I ever knew who really liked it was... uh, a ponytailed, trenchcoat-wearing, sword-collecting supergeek who took himself too seriously.

Hey, I don't wear trenchcoats... Armor's better... Wink

Just kidding. No ponytail here (not that there's anything wrong with being a geek or having a ponytail). I suppose that was why it was a cult film in the first place, and thus a kind of "love or indifference" movie. It was a good movie in its own right, and the soundtrack was really awesome (Hey, I'm a Queen fan.), but lots of people didn't find it as great as they expected it to be for their own reasons. Derivative works of a movie that was supposed to be "different" or "special" in the first place probably don't work because of that. Movies like "Tremors" are the same way, and the ones looking for money don't always pay attention to the fact that the original may be the peak of the "franchise."
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Mephistophilus wrote:
There wasn't the effort put into the first film, and I fear this anime will end up the same.

They at LEAST got the animation down, so we can say that much.

Hmmm...

Though... gotta play it honest as, apparently, the only real draw to this film for me in the first place was definately Kawajiri's involvement; I was one of those people that marked the thing down when it was first announced (which was why I was kinda nervous that they wouldn't get it done since virtually no news about it came out after its initial announcment).

I'm also fond of the idea of Masao Maruyama collaborating his studio with overseas productions as it helps build a better name and reputation for the studio (as if they didn't have it big already).

But yeah... my only real exposure to this thing is the TV series, and to a better extent, its awesome theme song (which... really really needs to be in the OP sequence of this movie).

Though, the concept itself is actually pretty nifty; the whole "immortal living his life through different ages" thing is kinda cool, from what I remember seeing of it like... so many years ago.

But yeah... gotta admit that I wouldn't be THIS hyped if this was in somebody else's hands.

So... I'm like a quasi-fan or something.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Zac: I'll take the Highlander crowd over the Buffy crowd.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm biased, I guess. I never really liked it in the first place; it appealed way too much to the "ponytailed, trenchcoat-wearing, sword-collecting supergeek who takes himself too seriously" demographic. Plus everyone I ever knew who really liked it was... uh, a ponytailed, trenchcoat-wearing, sword-collecting supergeek who took himself too seriously.

Gee Zack you described me perfectly. I actually bought three official Highlander jackets (along with a nice watch and a bunch of shirts) from the Highlander catalog back when the series was airing. I never used to tie my hair back, but have these last several years. The only swords that I own are wooden. I don't really take myself seriously since I'm a total SF otaku/geek.

I ordered this DVD during the awesome Manga buy 2 get 3 sale. The one thing that the original film had that never was recaptured was an amazing soundtrack by Queen and the late Michael Kamen. I don't see a composer listed under the encyclopedia entry, but I hope they get a good composer. My favorite parts from Highlander were always the flashback scenes, and it looks like the anime will have a good amount of them.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
You can actually see the music composer at the end of the trailer...

I can't get the good-quality one to load though for some reason (site's dead), but yeah... he's there... it's...

Some guy I don't know about.
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote
The trailer invokes the word "vengeance" *three* times. That's two times, too many.

Funny how the two newest additions to the HL franchise are both set in the future. I predict cavemen or spacemen in the next one. With dinosaurs. Or lightsabers. Maybe both.

It'll be the first franchise to die by temporal implosion.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
looks interesting. Ninja Scroll the movie was an all time fave of mine. I will have to check this out.
The Punisher.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quote
I really like the first movie and the TV series, so I'm definately looking forward to this.

I just wonder, why make up a NEW MacLeod? How many dudes from this one clan could possibly be immortals?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
The dvd specs are finally up.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
I've got the cover too... damn... it's like they took a friggin' screencap (sorta):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/dklreviews/highlanderart.jpg

Maybe something else will be on the cover of the SE?
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
No, wait, this seems to be the actual cover for the movie (at least, I hope so anyway):

I really like it... thank god it wasn't the screen-cap thingy.

But yeah, some one over at AoD found it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does the guy resemble Dolph Lundgren in Masters of the Universe?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
Anime News Service noted that http://www.imagi.com.hk/web/main.php posted more pics which haven't been shown in the trailer.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
There is an ad for this DVD in the newest TRSI catalog with the box art. The ad says available in June, but my TRSI order for the limited edition says Date available Sept 30th. Manga is really running behind on all their releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2