• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Heroes' Masi Oka Acknowledges Anime, Manga Influences

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Hey, you know I'm all for it!!!!

Anyways, I now officially have to start watching this show! When I first heard about it when this TV season started, I thought it sounded interesting, then I watched a few episodes, loved them, but never got around to watching the rest of them. But now I know that it is anime, especially Shonen Jump inspired? Yeah, definitely need to watch it from the beginning and start getting into it for sure!

Watching Heroes from the beginning is a must. Heroes is certainly not episodic enough for somebody to just jump right in. Especially at this point in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
now? he's always been the best character, especially future Hiro.

One thing that I like about Hiro and Ando is that they let them speak freakin Japanese! It really makes me believe that he's from Japan and traveling in a foeign country. I also like Future Hiro also, I'm really interested in how his character gets to that point. Also I've always been a BIG fan of Ali Larter Very Happy.

Smoochy wrote:
Hopefully he'll get people in high places to notice anime... We'll see Monster on NBC at 8, yes!

Oh don't tease me......but then again I can dream right? I mean there is going to be a Welcome to the NBC coming soon.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Masi Oka seems like a cool guy. Doesn't he have a really high IQ?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Watching Heroes from the beginning is a must. Heroes is certainly not episodic enough for somebody to just jump right in. Especially at this point in the series.

Well, I already knew it wasn't episodic in the first place, so yeah, I'd say for sure you'd need to start from the beginning.Wink Guess it's over to NBC.com for me!
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
It's strange... when he smiles he kinda looks like my boyfriend but a little geekier Anime hyper and a slightly pointier chin Shocked
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
v1cious wrote:
now? he's always been the best character, especially future Hiro.

One thing that I like about Hiro and Ando is that they let them speak freakin Japanese! It really makes me believe that he's from Japan and traveling in a foeign country. I also like Future Hiro also, I'm really interested in how his character gets to that point. Also I've always been a BIG fan of Ali Larter Very Happy.

Smoochy wrote:
Hopefully he'll get people in high places to notice anime... We'll see Monster on NBC at 8, yes!

Oh don't tease me......but then again I can dream right? I mean there is going to be a Welcome to the NBC coming soon.

yes!

I was happy that they kept their language in the show. spoiler[things are gonna get whoa since he's now met his future self in the last episode]

Its good to have a fellow fan at the top and yes i do want an welcome to the NBC!

Plus what if they do a small aime parody in heroes...that would be funny.

It would of also been cool if issak drew his comic art in manga form. badassary!

also this is the first time i found other anime fans into heroes besides a few of my friends. at school some people wont give it a chance or those who do like american comics most or is watching 24 at the time and miss it.

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I think I heard that the Season 1 DVD was supposed to come out in just about 2 months. I'm definitely getting it since I don't have time or the convenience of sitting down and catching it on it's air times. Smile
scrapps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
I think I heard that the Season 1 DVD was supposed to come out in just about 2 months. I'm definitely getting it since I don't have time or the convenience of sitting down and catching it on it's air times. Smile

Well NBC streams Heroes on their website too. Last I knew they had the full season, if you don't want to wait. It's how I watch it just because I work Monday nights. I would only be happier if it were on On Demand.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Masi Oka seems like a cool guy. Doesn't he have a really high IQ?

So they say. He did a lot of behind-the-scenes work before acting too. Stuff like CGI water effects in the past 3 Star Wars movies, among other CGI work. Wrote his own software too I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I have never ever watched this show, but a few weeks ago a customer at work said to me, "you look a little like that Asian guy from Heroes." Is that a good or bad thing Shocked? I'm just an Asian guy with glasses. But maybe Asian guys with glasses that seem kind of nerdy all feel the same Shocked?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have never ever watched this show, but a few weeks ago a customer at work said to me, "you look a little like that Asian guy from Heroes." Is that a good or bad thing ? I'm just an Asian guy with glasses. But maybe Asian guys with glasses that seem kind of nerdy all feel the same

some Americans can't differentiate Asians. Many Asians look the same to them.

(note: i mean some not all)
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so Mazinger Z toys were shown on Heroes spoiler[when Hiro froze time to save a girl from being hit by a car], I've been wondering were those Mazinger Z toys when I first saw that episode.
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I have never ever watched this show, but a few weeks ago a customer at work said to me, "you look a little like that Asian guy from Heroes." Is that a good or bad thing Shocked? I'm just an Asian guy with glasses. But maybe Asian guys with glasses that seem kind of nerdy all feel the same Shocked?

Yeah, and any manga-ish drawings made in the 90's were instantly Sailor Moon. Haha, people need to know that there's a difference between one person and the next, no matter what the ethnicity. But if you look like the guy, as the customer stated, try to sneak on the set! Maybe they'll give you money for being a stunt double! Very Happy That would be awesome!

But that's okay... some people can't tell the difference between Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, and even other ethnicities beyond that.

I've never watched Heroes either, I'm eager to see it Anime hyper
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
I totally love Heroes, and the anime/manga geekery has made me squeal. And yeah, total amounts of JoJo nods in there. Very Happy
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Heroes is what Lost could of become, basically Heroes is done by one of writers of Lost who left around season 2.....so that's why Heroes equals amazing and Lost equals well I'll let you finish that.

As for looking like Hiro (on Heroes) if your a shorter Asian Male with chubby cheeks (with glasses) then maybe. Really it comes down to the type of glasses, because if you have same type I am sure it's more of that then anything in reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3