• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Co-Founder Takami Akai Steps Down From Gainax's Board

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just another otaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This is really sad news. In the last few years, I had the chance to accompany Akai-san twice during trips outside of Japan - he is very friendly and funny, and a real otaku from the bottom of his heart. Last time I met him at the GAINAX studio building in early April, he was deeply involved in his work at his desk as usual, but nevertheless found some time to exchange a couple of words.

Too bad he quit, since he was one of the driving forces behind GAINAX. I hope he will at least stay in the anime industry and wish him good luck and that he made the right decision.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Well now I have heard/seen everything. I really want to see what this Special Epsiode 4 looks like now.....Also why are people watching Precure? That's how you know the world's gone mad......that and a man breathing deeply into an anus...gross.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Also why are people watching Precure? That's how you know the world's gone mad......

Replace "Precure" with "hentai," "moe," "yaoi," "loli," "fan service," "shota," "bishonen," and voilà! You got your typical anti-[insert genre here] comment. Heck, you can even replace it with "anime."

Learn how to respect other people's interests.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Just another otaku wrote:
Too bad he quit, since he was one of the driving forces behind GAINAX. I hope he will at least stay in the anime industry and wish him good luck and that he made the right decision.

I may be wrong, but I don't think he is leaving Gainax. He steps down from those positions, but it sounds like he will continue to work in Gainax...
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Heck, he's probably still going to act as producer for the show, just not appear in the credits.

Let's hope we see some major 2ch bashing in later episodes.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
This is so stupid! Who cares about some Internet forum like this (not THIS one, but the one in the news story)? (At least, I don't care until someone explains to me what all the differences between all these "x"-channels, etc. are!)
Awaken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Its too bad about Akai but someone in his position should take from advice from a friend of mine:

"Everyone is a critic...and every critic should burn in a fire..."
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm still convinced that the one who will write a book on E-dorama will make Millions !
c'mon you lazy bum , get to writing ! i just gave you a golden idea.
Moogle-X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It's really quite a shame for an internet flame war to cause such an uproar and for such a man as Takami Akai to feel the need to step down from his position. I really do think that all parties there are probably at fault however. Online communities tend to be ravenous in their critique of programs they watch and they are rarely afraid to aim below the belt. Most involved in the industry take these critiques as just that and accept the opinions to consider for future projects. Whether it was fallout from the supposed other employee's comments about the critiques or just a hit directly to Akai's feelings on a project, I think that his fundamental mistake was not only to comment directly on inflammatory remarks but to seem to combat the fandom directly, placing himself further at odds with what would seem the people who probably spend the most money on products Gainax produces. Sure, these can be some of the most cruel and sometimes seemingly juvenile displays by fans (where the internet gives you a certain anonymity or separation from reality,) but these are also your customers who in many cases have a real complaint to address. I can definitely understand being upset at having a project that you find important trashed by the same people you made it for, but I think it is always much better to take the high ground and either do not respond publicly at all, or at least maintain a professional demeanor in your response. I suppose we may never know the reasoning for the sudden change in the show, whether due to being forced to work with a lesser animation studio, after losing a previously considered "better" company .due to lack of better available studios or simply an experiment that didn't go exactly as planned. These things happen for whatever reason and there is almost always some negative press from the fandom at large, but remember to take the high ground, accept criticism, and see if maybe there isn't a certain amount of truth to concern yourself with in regards to their comments.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
reading the comments on 2channel was "like putting [his] face next to an anus and breathing deeply."

Oh wow. So I guess 4chan (and other US message boards) aren't that different from their Japanese counterparts.

-puts face towards the anus of internet message boards, takes a whiff-

Ah. Smell that nerd rage.

Meanwhile, I'd like to continue my complaints that the new Michael Bay Transformers movie is going to suck. C'mon! Bumble Bee as a Camaro? And have you seen Megatron's face?!
endsmouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
This is so stupid! Who cares about some Internet forum like this (not THIS one, but the one in the news story)? (At least, I don't care until someone explains to me what all the differences between all these "x"-channels, etc. are!)

Well 2channel is one of the largest message boards on the internet, if not the absolute largest. It's a huge influence on Japanese culture and no English based board comes close to rivaling it in either aspect

As for differences between each chan, don't quote me on this, but in short, 2ch/2channel was the 'first' and is primarily text based. From that came the image based 2chan/Futaba Channel off-shoot.

The first attempt at an English 2channel was the now defunct world2ch, of which 4-ch and world4ch attempted to replace (at the time world4ch was simply a separate 4chan subdivision). Eventually the image-based portion of 4chan and text-based world4ch came together as 4chan and that was that.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Meanwhile, I'd like to continue my complaints that the new Michael Bay Transformers movie is going to suck. C'mon! Bumble Bee as a Camaro? And have you seen Megatron's face?!

I see you're one of the many people confusing the movie as G1. G1 looks nothing like Beast Wars which looked nothing like Beast Machines, which looked nothing like Robots in Disguise, which looked nothing like Armada/Energon/Cybertron which will look nothing like the new animated series I'm sure.

Back on topic, just an example of the power of 2ch, that's where the story for Train Man/Densha Otoko originated from. Sure the creator could have gone to any geek forum and gotten similar responses, but 2ch seemed to put more of an impact on the story by being such a well known source of kindred spirits. People probably wouldn't have bought a book based on posts on some random "otakubbs.com" posting. This lead to several manga, a movie, a tv series, and even a play. Train Man would then spawn the anime series Getsumen To Heiki Mina. That's a major ripple effect all started by a post on 2ch.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
comorbid

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
What I'm wondering is if Akai's response was completely out-of-the-blue, or if it was a "last straw" sort of thing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2