• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Books and Movies That Would Make A Good Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:21 pm Reply with quote
How about a This Old House anime? Bob Villa and his team of invisible handymen fix up old houses. Except it's anime style and 15 frames per second or so. Exciting!

For the record, Jet, The Lord of the Rings movies are little more than a visual worshipping of Tolkien's works. Art is to be consumed and enjoyed and celebrated, not left on the shelf to collect dust. Jackson's Rings movies are the perfect way to bring the books to life, and if you can't see that out of blind devotion to some absent-minded concept of "respect for the original" (something every last person working on these films had) then I pity you and you're missing out on something very special and important. The fact that it has sparked a new interest in the LOTR books alone and has prompted millions of newcomers to enjoy Tolkien's work, I think, should be enough to quell your anger at minor details of the book being left out of the film.

-Z
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see an anime done like Underworld, I really liked that movie.

I think fans of Wolfwood would be able to get into a Desperado anime.

Terminator is made up of a lot of things we see in anime, but hardly ever all together.

Something along the lines of Star Trek would be nice too. We see so many shows about space battles and wars and what not, but hardly ever, if ever, anything about space expoloration.

Eh, I'm tapped out, I'm tired of saying the same things every time...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
How about a This Old House anime? Bob Villa and his team of invisible handymen fix up old houses. Except it's anime style and 15 frames per second or so. Exciting!

Hahaha, how about a giant robot Monster Garage?

"Today we'll be turning this RX-78 into a lawn mower using a $3 Billion budget."

Or not...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Anything by Neil Gaiman first off.

Then the Liveship Trader trilogy by Robin Hobb (Ship of Destiny, Mad Ship, Ship of Magic). Anime needs more good fantasy titles, and Neil Gaiman + Robin hobb would be awesome.

Sabriel and the other Arbohorsen books.

Movie Wise:
Anything Tim Burton. I would love to see Tim Burton anime.
Moulin Rouge XD
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:17 am Reply with quote
I've got it, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, the animated series.
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'd watch only if Kawrou did fashion.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:56 am Reply with quote
Delthayre wrote:
I've got it, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, the animated series.

Shonen-ai for the Straight Guy?

sorry, couldn't resist. Laughing

Emerje
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:17 am Reply with quote
I read this trilogy a few months ago . . . I think it was called "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman. Some controversial stuff like killing God and fighting the Church that probably wouldn't work well in the upcoming Hollywood movie, but would probably be given a lot more freedom in an anime.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:35 am Reply with quote
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov is perfect for an anime portrayal.

It's always been a shock to me that such an influential and phenomeonally well written series of novels could be so overlooked by the masses.

Asimov is one of the great masters of science fiction. Where is his tribute?
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:24 am Reply with quote
Well, Will Smith is making an I Robot movie. Still, the caves of Steel Books on the closer side of the foundation books would work better. Considering the shear size of the foundation series, with, what, like twenty books?
Catawba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:05 am Reply with quote
How about the Anasazi Mysteries by Kathleen O'Neal and W. Michael Gear (The Visitant, The Summoning God, Bone Walker) These books follow a small group Anasazi as they try to survive bloody strife that's tearing apart the various villages within the American Southwest in the 12th century. These books would look great in an anime style. The visuals recreating Chaco Canyon, and the Four Corners area could be really great. We get all sorts of historical anime about Japan in this period, this could be a great one about American history.
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:33 am Reply with quote
Why hasn't anyone talked about the show that deserves to be made into an anime, and that's acually getting made into an anime, Farscape. I loved the show, and was very dissapointed when it was canceled. I can't wait until the show is made.
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:54 am Reply with quote
I guess I'd avoid any "western" historical or general fantasy subject just because, well, it's JAPANESE anime. They seem to do a good job of converting thier own novels to Anime (Crest of the Stars, Twelve Kingdoms).
Still, I like Snow Crash as an idea and a good chunk of William Gibson's work. I'd like to see Dune done, not because I didn't like the SF channel's version, but I think the Japanese would have a different take on the story. I second Shogun, or maybe tell the real story of Will Adams (the real life Anjin-san). Maybe, something based on Norse Mythology (though I hated the Korean Ragnarok).

How's that. Smile
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Nani, I agree that I'd like to see Dune done because I thought that the Sci-Fi channel's version was absolutely atrocious.

Now, the 1984 film starring Patrick Stewart, Sting, and Kyle Maclachlan was incredible. Too short (most of it ended up on the cutting room floor and it was still 3hours in length and too short feeling) but the imagery, style, and presentation of the characters was perfection in of itself.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Why not a Battle Royale anime? I'd "kill" to see a Battle Royale anime. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4