• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yuruyuri Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Quote:
Akari, Yui and Kyoko are three childhood friends who in high school form a club called the Amusement Club.

Uh... Actually, they are in MIDDLE school, which is why much of the fantasy girl-girl nosebleed gags make the show a bit icky to me, in addition to being bland and usually un-funny.

And middle schoolers are too young to know about that sort of thing, much less be fantasizing about it? Confused

I'll point out this show is based on the 4-Panel that next magazine issue will include an "improperly" filled-out marriage registration between the two 1st year "tsunderes" on the school council.

Personally, I'm just happy that yuri is getting enough traction that harder-to-pull-off concepts (like the hit-and-miss comedy that 4-panels can be) are getting green-lit as anime. Just as not all Shonen action anime is created equal, I don't have a conniption when every yuri show is not another Sasameki Koto or Sweet Blue Flowers.
But I'd rather have Yuruyuri for all its silliness, boys-don't-exist, perfect friendships and/or foe-yay and a lack of backlash (other than anemia) when a girl fantasizes about scenarios involving her fellow classmates than a small-screen yuri drought between 'good' shows.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person who thought the review was spot-on? Upon watching ten minutes of the show I realized that I hadn't smiled once let alone laughed and I laugh and smile easily. I was unable to find one notable quality about this show (it's sad when a shows only notable quality is that there are no notable qualities).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure others think the same.

It's like what would happen if guys tried to watch Uta no Prince-sama 1000% without the Niconico comments that lampoon it. Both are shows that are heavily focused towards a certain demographic, and those who are outside of that demographic will be repelled. It's very, very rare that a late-night slot anime actually appeals to a wide range of fandom. Typically they all have their own little chunk that they're pandering to.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a lot of people criticizing this show are people who do not like yuri. Like, at all. Because if you're someone who likes yuri even a little, I can't imagine you disliking this show the way this review does. I'm a yuri fan, though, and Yuru Yuri is going to go down as one of my all-time favorites in anime (and I've seen plenty of anime). I've seen things like K-ON! and Minami-ke (though not Mitsudomoe) and none of them have come close to this.

I feel like the review spent a lot of time nit-picking, but in the end if you don't like the comedy and character interactions you're not going to like anything about it. It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm wondering if it has actually hit its target audience.

So, yeah, I love YY. I actually re-watched episode 10 almost immediately because I just found it so amazing, something that is extremely rare for me to do (I think I've only done it once in the past out of the 150+ series I've seen, and it was a show I was re-watching anyway). It saddens me that there is so much hate for it, but what can you do?
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
I feel like a lot of people criticizing this show are people who do not like yuri. Like, at all. Because if you're someone who likes yuri even a little, I can't imagine you disliking this show the way this review does. I'm a yuri fan, though, and Yuru Yuri is going to go down as one of my all-time favorites in anime (and I've seen plenty of anime). I've seen things like K-ON! and Minami-ke (though not Mitsudomoe) and none of them have come close to this.

I feel like the review spent a lot of time nit-picking, but in the end if you don't like the comedy and character interactions you're not going to like anything about it. It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm wondering if it has actually hit its target audience.

So, yeah, I love YY. I actually re-watched episode 10 almost immediately because I just found it so amazing, something that is extremely rare for me to do (I think I've only done it once in the past out of the 150+ series I've seen, and it was a show I was re-watching anyway). It saddens me that there is so much hate for it, but what can you do?

I like Yuri I like Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto actually I love those shows. In fact, the main reason I tried this show out was because Yuri was one of the genres this falls under. What I don't seem to like (as I've discovered from watching this, Nichijou, and K-on!) are shows which are based off of 4koma manga in which a group of teenagers are in a series of comedy vignettes.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I like Yuri I like Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto actually I love those shows. In fact, the main reason I tried this show out was because Yuri was one of the genres this falls under. What I don't seem to like (as I've discovered from watching this, Nichijou, and K-on!) are shows which are based off of 4koma manga in which a group of teenagers are in a series of comedy vignettes.

I suppose that could be another valid issue. I have no preference either way on 4koma adaptations, so that doesn't bother me here.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

This. When I watch/read Yuri, it's for the relationship between the two characters. That's why I can't stand this show. There are no relationships because there are no characters, just cardboard cut-outs that say bland, predicable dialogue which sounds like it's coming straight from the 40-year old writer instead of a teenage girl.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where you get "40 year old writer" from. I can't really find any biographical data on Namori. Although I can't read Japanese, Namori's site lists his or her first published work in 2006. I'd say late 20s or early 30s would be a better guess imo.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm not sure where you get "40 year old writer" from. I can't really find any biographical data on Namori. Although I can't read Japanese, Namori's site lists his or her first published work in 2006. I'd say late 20s or early 30s would be a better guess imo.

You're right I did guess that completely, I should probably have said "middle-aged writer" because that's what it feels like. I'm not quite sure why 40 popped into my head, but it's what I guess I just envisioned the writer to sort of be. Maybe in part it helped explain the absolute incomprehension at how the girls should act, was do to such a massive age difference.

I'll rephrase that: The writing feels like the by committee and by writers more then likely are twice as old as the characters and who have no idea how teenage girls actually act or speak.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's like what would happen if guys tried to watch Uta no Prince-sama 1000% without the Niconico comments that lampoon it. Both are shows that are heavily focused towards a certain demographic, and those who are outside of that demographic will be repelled. It's very, very rare that a late-night slot anime actually appeals to a wide range of fandom. Typically they all have their own little chunk that they're pandering to.

And that's exactly what's wrong with anime right now...producers are pandering to little groups of obsessed genre fans instead of, y'know, telling good stories with good characters that anyone can enjoy. If the Japanese otaku masses would get over their collective relationship issues and start behaving like something resembling normal human beings, maybe we could have more nice things instead of schlock like this.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Producers are pandering to groups that they know will buy their product... or at least they're trying to. As of right now that means moe, boobs, and fujoshi shows... which if you look is the bulk of the late-night/early-morning anime. If they try to do something that's not focused in these areas... then they run the risk of it being unprofitable. And since the industry is on shaky ground as it is, no producer wants that.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I like Yuru Yuri. I think it's a really well done comedy. I like how it's not afraid to break the fourth wall and make fun of itself, which leads to a lot of great moments, like the opening for each episode. Also, Kyouko is such a great character. I love seeing her craziness in action.

I also really enjoyed Mitsudomoe, but that's hilarious for different reasons than Yuru Yuri, so I don't really see why they need to be compared besides them being directed by the same person. I don't think "the spirit of creativity has seemingly been crushed from them." Yuru Yuri is doing its own thing, and I think it's doing a pretty good job at it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the poster who said something about bar and being lowered etc. I am baffled, mystified how a pretty good mystery show like Dantalain no Shoka gets bland to medicore reviews and there is next to no one to defend it. But something as brainless as YuriYuri has people claiming it to be some masterpiece or one of their favorite shows. Im a guy, but I can accept yuri yaoi, if the show still has substance like say 07 ghost, kyou kara maoh, no 6, etc. But this show has none of that. The bar is not lowered, the bar is lying on the ground; and I must point out for the record a show about yuri lolis selling well in Japan is far from suprising, and even further from indicating it has any quality if anything its an inverse relationship. I mean I dont understand why each new show released each season is like Yuri, anything else will have unreasonable expectations, and this dreck will be praised.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I have to agree with the poster who said something about bar and being lowered etc. I am baffled, mystified how a pretty good mystery show like Dantalain no Shoka gets bland to medicore reviews and there is next to no one to defend it. But something as brainless as YuriYuri has people claiming it to be some masterpiece or one of their favorite shows. Im a guy, but I can accept yuri yaoi, if the show still has substance like say 07 ghost, kyou kara maoh, no 6, etc. But this show has none of that. The bar is not lowered, the bar is lying on the ground; and I must point out for the record a show about yuri lolis selling well in Japan is far from suprising, and even further from indicating it has any quality if anything its an inverse relationship. I mean I don't understand why each new show released each season is like Yuri, anything else will have unreasonable expectations, and this dreck will be praised.

Care to name a few similar series which got that kind of numbers? I'm not saying that good numbers = quality, but I'm baffled by your statement since Yuru Yuri doing so well is definitely a surprise to most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Producers are pandering to groups that they know will buy their product... or at least they're trying to. As of right now that means moe, boobs, and fujoshi shows... which if you look is the bulk of the late-night/early-morning anime. If they try to do something that's not focused in these areas... then they run the risk of it being unprofitable. And since the industry is on shaky ground as it is, no producer wants that.

Yes, I'm aware of that sad fact, which is where the dig at otaku comes in. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3