• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailormoon just a silly shoujo anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Most of the people who consider Sailor Moon a terrible anime often seem to forget the general target audience of the magical girl genre, and disappointed themselves by setting high expectations. I'm not saying that there isn't a deep plot with deep characters -- it was something that was probably lost for the most part with DiC's translation, the version which most people have likely seen, and maybe that's another contributing factor for all the criticism.

Sailor Moon is not one of my most favorite anime of all time, but nonetheless has a special place in my heart as a fan because it was the first anime I can remember watching (though I didn't realize it was from Japan at the time, since I was only about five or six), even before Pokémon. The manga is lovely, especially the final chapter, and I occasionally watch the uncut episodes online. Perhaps, the best thing about the series is not so much the plot as it is all the unique characters and the theme of the story. My favorite character has always been Aino Minako/Sailor Venus. I would like to eventually see the entire series, whether as manga or as anime.

psycho 101, you're not alone; I have a cousin who is male, and Sailor Moon has been one of his favorites for a long time.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was so silly - the dub made it better. Laughing Laughing Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I knew Lydia couldn't avoid this one Smile

I personally don't see anything wrong with Sailor Moon. My mom did though with the very last episode of the series, cause spoiler[Sailor Moon was BUTT NAKED!!] But to me, I thought it a good, funny series, with it's serious moments, and I also know though I didn't know back then that it was a shojo series. Makes sense now. I think it just needs some good detailed explaining at certain points.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

(to go entirely OT for a moment, something I have been wondering...LydiaDianne, would you be offended at all if someone were to just call you Lydia? Because I am lazy and keep wanting to shorten it but don't know if that would be bad or not).

Go right on ahead. I have no problems with that at all.

psycho 101 wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
It's nice to see a post about Sailor Moon just was I was wondering where/how to ask a question about the franchise in general. I hear a lot of people here mention it, and I admit it...I have never seen any Sailor Moon.

I wonder if it gets so much love as it's a fond memory for viewers, or if I were to try and rent now, if it would still be enjoyable/worth the watch. Is it worth it now if I haven't seen it before? I hear about multiple seasons/titles, can you skip some or not? Tell me more please.

It's definitely worth checking out now regardless of it's age. You can technically watch each season individually, from what I remember, as they all have different plots and main bad guys. The thing is, you probably won't understand the group dynamics and interactions as much if you don't start from the beginning. So I would personally start from season 1.The show itself is very emotional, tons of sappy moments, and has great character interactions and relationships. Netflix should have them to rent and I'm sure you can find some good discount deals on this show online at places like TSRI and ebay.

You've never seen Sailor Moon? You poor deprived child, you! Wink Laughing

SM is fun. If you do get a chance, watch it. Yeah, some parts drag and can be cheesey but that being said, there are depths to the series. psycho is entirely correct that you should watch it in order because you will miss key points on character development, dynamics and their various interactions. For example the relationship between Usagi (Moon) and Rei (Mars): spoiler[They argue like cats and dogs - constantly. But, Rei is probably the closest to Usagi and, many times, Rei has given Usagi the strength to carry on.] The series builds it's way carefully and you need those episodes to see how each character grows.

Each season you can see each girl grow into themselves more and more. The SuperS was more about Chibi-Usa (Rini) than about Usagi but it's still a very good season. Having seen the final season (Stars), the Usagi of that season is by far a stronger woman than the Usagi we first meet.

Love wins.
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
i wouldnt call my self a hardcore fan but i didn't really mind it!
i rememeber bein a bit ashamed of watchin it bein a guy and all, especially in those really lame moments!

but somthing kept me watching it thou, the storyline in the long run (thou i dont remeber much of it) wasnt too bad. i watched it everyday form start to finish and so have all of u as i can see. so it obivously isnt too bad an anime i guess.

it is oldschool thou so what can u expect?!
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
I love this series. Although I stongly suggest that people also read the manga. The manga is much much better. Stars and Supers are the best seasons in terms of plot and action. I have never liked the Dream Tree part of Sailor Moon R though. It's one thing to alter the original story line, but it's another to just write in a whole plot line that never existed in the original manga.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, the parts of the manga I've read really didn't appeal to me much at all, I found that the pacing was just way too fast and I never actually came to care about any of the characters. Of course, the anime pacing can be too slow half the time, with filler and filler and more filler, though when it does get around to the plot, it is awesome.

I've said this before, I'm sure, but I think pacing-wise, the best version of Sailor Moon is actually the live-action. I know it seems a bit lame at first, but it really is a very good series and doesn't have a ton of filler and also is mostly it's own plot so there will be something new for people who've seen the anime/read the manga.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I don't know, the parts of the manga I've read really didn't appeal to me much at all, I found that the pacing was just way too fast and I never actually came to care about any of the characters. Of course, the anime pacing can be too slow half the time, with filler and filler and more filler, though when it does get around to the plot, it is awesome.

I've said this before, I'm sure, but I think pacing-wise, the best version of Sailor Moon is actually the live-action. I know it seems a bit lame at first, but it really is a very good series and doesn't have a ton of filler and also is mostly it's own plot so there will be something new for people who've seen the anime/read the manga.

I love all three myself. The manga does have a rapid pace. But that's probably because we love it too much to want it to end. The anime does have it's slow spots and filler but when the plot kicks in, put on the seatbelts...you're in for a bumpy ride! And the live action is just charming. I really enjoyed that one as well.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon is one of my favorite series (btw, I'm a guy...) It's one of those shows as an anime fan you're almost obliged to watch. Although they are many other shojo anime that are much better (Fruits Basket, and I like Ah My Goddess and Fushigi Yuugi more than Sailor Moon...don't ask me why...), it's a silly show that is all good fun. There are alot of pointless, useless episodes, though. But it's like the Dragonball Z of shojo anime: long, interesting characters, draws people into anime, and is all good fun (unless you hate filler episodes...and then I don't know what to tell you.)

Just to avoid being flamed, I don't think, plotwise, DBZ and SM are similar...
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Sailor Moon, what's going on with that? Why has the production of its merchandise stopped? Like, I heard about whatever contract the company had not being renewed, but honestly, I didn't really understand all that. I don't really get what happened and why. Does anyone know? Will it come back? Can anyone explain? Thanks.
Haohmaru Of The Wind69

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
It's my mom and dad's fave anime besides Kenshin. Sailor Kagome is no laughing matter. She is an elite warrior. We love Sailor moon with all our hearts. We like the animation and story. The music is very good. Nephlyte and Tiger's Eye are men of action. Sailor moon is the best and most popular magical girl anime of all time.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
Speaking of Sailor Moon, what's going on with that? Why has the production of its merchandise stopped? Like, I heard about whatever contract the company had not being renewed, but honestly, I didn't really understand all that. I don't really get what happened and why. Does anyone know? Will it come back? Can anyone explain? Thanks.

It appears that Toei, the Japanese company that owned the rights to it, is unable or unwilling to renew the license. But the exact reason is unknown to the general public.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm the odd man out this time (and it certainly ain't the first time). I absolutely love shoujo but I simply cannot stand Sailor Moon. Yes, that's right, some of my favorite series are shoujo anime and yet I cannot get myself to even think about watching Sailor Moon. Too many bad memories or something I guess. I'd much rather watch Princess Tutu again than start on Sailor Moon. Bleh!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
caseclosedfan414 wrote:

It appears that Toei, the Japanese company that owned the rights to it, is unable or unwilling to renew the license. But the exact reason is unknown to the general public.

Which has pissed off a great many of Sailor Moon's North American fans.

But we still have hope!
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
I don't consider it a great anime, but I enjoyed it when I was younger. Sailor Moon is a lot of fun and it can be pretty enthralling at times. Also the characters were interesting and cool, my favorite was Sailor Mercury. It was always fun to pretend to be the sailor scouts with your friends. ^^;
But SM is still pretty silly, and maybe not the best representation of a shoujo anime. But I give it credit for opening up the gateway for more anime in the U.S. and giving girls something fun to watch after school.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4