• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2007 - Keynote: Anime in the US

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
What's that old Chinese curse? "May you live in interesting times"?

Huh? Anime dazed More details wanted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
To be honest, I don't have any more sales figures details than the next average user...I've just been seeing people say things on the AoD forums about how Rozen Maiden wasn't living up to expectations, according to Geneon's presence over there. I've heard similar forum rumors that Azumanga's sales didn't live up to its massive online popularity. And Strawberry Marshmallow....well, for all I know, it could be a "surprise hit," but it doesn't seem like it. Geneon hasn't been too anxious to get the OVAs, unless the announcement is coming up at a future con.

A Geneon rep indicated that sales were not meeting expectations in one of the threads on AoD, but I'm not sure which one. But at this point, it sounds like its doing poorly and the OVA probably won't be getting licensed since its doing poorly. I've never heard anything on Strawberry Marshmallow, so its really hard to comment on that one. I've always figured that it and Kamichu (I know you didn't mention it, I'm just tossing it in as well) weren't exactly stellar sellers, but its hard to say. At the same time, I was never aware of either of them having a significant online following.

On the other hand, I've always thought Azumanga Daioh was pretty popular and did well for ADV, but I certainly don't have any sales related information to back it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2