• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms One Piece Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

Robin: Stephanie Young(Who's she?)

person#57984

A relative newbie to ADR work, but her work on Solty Rei is pretty good, and sounds like it would fit for the character.

Quote:

Using Zoro on the boxsets is gonna make One Piece and Naruto duke it out in DVD sells!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're both overestimating the appeal of One Piece in the states, and underestimating just how mainstream popular Naruto is worldwide as well.

Last edited by Invader_Spooch on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
So they pull in the FMA cast and some long timers and hit gold!!!

Using Zoro on the boxsets is gonna make One Piece and Naruto duke it out in DVD sells!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering that FMA was released by Funimation it doesn't surprise me that they have a lot of same VA working on One piece, I'd be surprised if they didn't have any of folks working on it.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I think you're both overestimating the appeal of One Piece in the states, and underestimating just how mainstream popular Naruto is worldwide as well.

America loves Ninja and that's why Naruto is such a big hit even though the Viz manga is edited and westernized.Uncut boxsets are what get the older fans and they are the ones that have money.

One Piece is about pirates and came to America with edited manga,changed names,westernized humor and edited DVDs only. FUNimation getting Toei to SHUTUP and let them keep the right names on the DVDs is gonna hit big and make the 350 lb Franky cosplayers no longer scared of being a One Piece fan common at future conventions.

I just wanna see the fansubbers complain about FUNimation taking "liberties" when Sanji doesn't say sh%# on the subs,like how they whine when the Viz Naruto subs don't cuss much.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I see they're using almost entirely FUNi voice actors, with Luci Christian being the only ADV regular in the main cast.

I can't really imagine Colleen Clinkenbeard playing a boy. I know she's currently playing Beet so I'm guessing it'd be similar to that, but I've never seen the dub of Vandel Buster. I'm sure it'll turn out good, though. I love her work, I've just never heard her play anything but girls before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
*fangirl-gasm*

Eric Vale as Sanji. Have mercy.

I really want to hear Luffy though. And Sabat will make an awesome Zoro.
I'm glad they're using the real names.

I can not wait for this. Seriously. Viz needs to get their head out of their ass and let go of the rights. Everyone who's going to buy that garbage they put out already has. (and who were they again?)

NOTE: this post is angry and bias. It may or may not make sense to some. I just have lots of anger for what they did to my favorite show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Since Viz acquired the DVD license when 4Kids was still dubbing the show, that means Viz will be handling the release for episodes 1-104 of the 4Kids dub (which corresponds to the first 143 in the JP version). Unfortunately, that means FUNimation can't release Arlong yet =(

That sounds like way more than just 2 seasons; a season is typically 13, sometimes 26, episodes. Though it looks like Viz has already released up to episode 41 on DVD and have current plans to release 2 more DVDs with the last one having 6 episodes on it. Maybe that's the last of what Viz has and that would fit the 2 seasons (here's the source for this info).

Here's hoping Viz relinquishes these rights sooner rather than later.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Boooo.

Guts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chris Sabbat.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
That sounds like way more than just 2 seasons; a season is typically 13, sometimes 26, episodes.

52 episode seasons aren't uncommon at all, especially in terms of long-running anime. Since 52 episodes does equal one year's worth of episodes, & a year's worth of episodes is usually what defines a season. This is especially true regarding American television. While true that US shows have seasons with a lot less episodes, the seasons are still defined by how many episodes they show in one year's time. It just so happens in anime they typically show a new episode every week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
Boooo.

Guts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chris Sabbat.

Congrats, you picked the ONE good voice actor out of the whole 4Kids crapfest.

I'm sure Funimation has the cash to fly the actor down to Ft.Worth and pay him to do the role for another 150+ episodes. Rolling Eyes
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
I just wanna see the fansubbers complain about FUNimation taking "liberties" when Sanji doesn't say sh%# on the subs,like how they whine when the Viz Naruto subs don't cuss much.

i don't think any of the one piece fans will be stupid enough to make dumb complaints like that, keep in mind that the complaints narutards make are often ones that are very stupid like "i can't believe they pronounced Sasuke the way they did" even though they did it right. the biggest reason though that Naruto fans complain about the dub is because unlike the One Piece fans, Naruto fans never had to experience a really bad dub like we have. i think the One Piece fans will just be grateful that the new dub will be better then the 4kids one!

Quote:
Unfortunately, while Funimation had hoped to release the first two seasons of the series, Viz still holds the rights to those episodes.

i wonder if this includes the little garden arc, seeing as 4kids skipped it and VIZ therefore doesn't own rights to it.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
*in a Hermes from Futurama voice*

That raises further questions!

------

Seriously though, I wonder how they're going to handle the dub script: Will they go along with the provided edited back-stories for the characters (including the whole skipping stories/arcs and rewriting them, also changing dramatic character events), or will they possibly just chug along from here as if the edits never happened, staying faithful to the Japanese script?

Or possibly produce two dubs, one for TV and one for the uncut DVDs? (this choice, I seriously doubt, but would prefer over just an edited dub).
TheGreatUrameshi13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much cash Funi's going to have to pony up to get Viz to release the rights to the episodes they have?

I think an e-mail campaign is in order to pressure Viz to give up the goods so we can get some decent dubs for One Piece.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

That sounds like way more than just 2 seasons; a season is typically 13, sometimes 26, episodes. Though it looks like Viz has already released up to episode 41 on DVD and have current plans to release 2 more DVDs with the last one having 6 episodes on it. Maybe that's the last of what Viz has and that would fit the 2 seasons (here's the source for this info).

Here's hoping Viz relinquishes these rights sooner rather than later.

In my childhood(1960's) American shows ran far more than the 22 eps we call a season now--in the 30 & 40 count. Sane foes for anime. That first season of DBZ runs about 40 eps. So 13 & 26 aren't set in stone, particularly on an older title like Once Piece or Case Closed until more recent seasons.

Krillin in Japan is now the voice of Luffy. I kept telling my teen Sonny Strait for Luffy was an obvious choice. And with Vale attached as a scriptwriter, I figured even odds he'd be Zolo or Sanji.

And when I saw the cast, I thought Case CLosed, Peacemeaker, DBZ, DBZ, DBZ, episode player, Who's that?

And you all might be overestimating Naruto. Viz stepping up the release schedule on the manga may be cashing in on the craze or striking while the iron's hot. This site has pointed out the only time Shippuden breaks the top 10 is when one of the usuals(which includes One Piece somewhere between 4th & 6th place) is pre-empted.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
TheGreatUrameshi13 wrote:
I wonder how much cash Funi's going to have to pony up to get Viz to release the rights to the episodes they have?

I think an e-mail campaign is in order to pressure Viz to give up the goods so we can get some decent dubs for One Piece.

It wouldn't hurt (and I would be down for helping with that), though I question how much an email campaign or petition would help in the long run.

It's worth a shot.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
TheGreatUrameshi13 wrote:

I don't think that Funimation is going to 'pony' any cash over. I bet Viz is just going to keep the license, therefore the only place to get season one and two or via Viz. And I certainly don't think that a bunch of emails (that will probably won't be read and will be in the spam folder) is really going to change that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5