• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vocaloid Song Crowd-Sourced to Sell Fried Chicken

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Cute singers > Colonel Sanders

And cute singers dressed as Colonel Sanders= the extinction of chickens everywhere. Wink

I personally find it mildly lazy. "Write our advertising for us so we don't have to pay a real songwriter!" That's just me.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Cute singers > Colonel Sanders

And cute singers dressed as Colonel Sanders= the extinction of chickens everywhere. :wink:

I personally find it mildly lazy. "Write our advertising for us so we don't have to pay a real songwriter!" That's just me.

I definitely see where your coming with that, but it makes me wonder, does the company own the song(s) that the fans wrote or do they still belong to the person who wrote them even after one is chosen?

Property rights are big business and if there is a contract involved (not sure if one is in this case.) an issue could arise if not addressed from the beginning.

Is it a way to save money? Yes, yes it is. But it also is good PR work for the company as well.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
does the company own the song(s) that the fans wrote or do they still belong to the person who wrote them even after one is chosen?

Smart companies frame it as a "contest" with the "prize" being your entry is used in their promotion. Often they include a clause indicating that all contest entries become property of the company.

I haven't been to fairs in years, but from what I've heard the big thing now is fried foods: fried bacon, fried snickers, fried oreos, fried pizza, fried butter, fried coca-cola, etc. I've actually had fried ice-cream and fried twinkies at restaurants, so I can see the appeal. I'm now wondering if they make fried cotton candy. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been served in a fair somewhere.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
does the company own the song(s) that the fans wrote or do they still belong to the person who wrote them even after one is chosen?

Smart companies frame it as a "contest" with the "prize" being your entry is used in their promotion. Often they include a clause indicating that all contest entries become property of the company.

I haven't been to fairs in years, but from what I've heard the big thing now is fried foods: fried bacon, fried snickers, fried oreos, fried pizza, fried butter, fried coca-cola, etc. I've actually had fried ice-cream and fried twinkies at restaurants, so I can see the appeal. I'm now wondering if they make fried cotton candy. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been served in a fair somewhere.

Ah the fine print, it's pretty smart of companies to frame it as a "contest" and the "prize" being that your song will be broadcasted. Although, considering the clause that is often written, the song no longer is yours and is owned by the company. In a way, it's very cleaver, but in a way, it's not exactly the most nice practice either.

But seriously fried coco-cola or soda in general? No offense to anyone, but that doesn't sound very good to me. If Oil and water don't really mix well, I can't imagine a carbonated drink faring much better.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
Scr1be wrote:

One thing I wonder is whose voicebank they are going to use or were they able to make their own?

Akikoroid-chan has her own voicebank.
it's actually unsure in the vocaloid community if she's going to be for sale to other users or if LAWSON is only using her for their own commercial purposes (ie-this whole chicken thing)

here's a demo of her voice > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imJwyPc8Gk
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote
It looks hideous o_0

At first I thought it had extremely short legs but then I realized that the stockings are just terribly designed to make it look that way.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see all the well-known vocaloid characters used as marketing eventually.

The Hatsune Miku Toyota ad has been running on the television fairly regularly, at least here in CA. ---Has anyone else seen it in other parts of the country? (Wondering because they may be targeting the ad to certain US markets and not others...)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

The Hatsune Miku Toyota ad has been running on the television fairly regularly, at least here in CA. ---Has anyone else seen it in other parts of the country?

Nope, and I probably watch more TV than most people here. Laughing
math4origami

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

The Hatsune Miku Toyota ad has been running on the television fairly regularly, at least here in CA. ---Has anyone else seen it in other parts of the country? (Wondering because they may be targeting the ad to certain US markets and not others...)

The target is Asian Americans, and guess where all the Asian Americans are? I've seen it in tons of pearl milk tea shops, asian magazines, and asian TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2