• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ready to Rumble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Granted, he's no Keiichi/Hideki/Keitaro/Shinji, .

Just gotta ask - you're referring to Keiichi from Higurashi right? And who's Keitaro? I think I've got the other two. ^^

Yeah I had low expectations for School Rumble as an anime, but I was impressed, it was pretty good for a laugh. Dunno if I'll buy it, but probably rent a few volumes. Beck was amazing, cant wait to see the English dub, and Red Garden looks good, though I'm skeptical about the series as a whole after what people are saying.

I like the Golden Anime Theme list we've got going here, but what about Sanbun no Ichi Junjou no Kanjou from Rurouni Kenshin or LOVE SOMEBODY from You're Under Arrest?
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Mylene wrote:
Granted, he's no Keiichi/Hideki/Keitaro/Shinji, .

Just gotta ask - you're referring to Keiichi from Higurashi right? And who's Keitaro? I think I've got the other two. ^^

No, I'm referring to Keiichi from Ah! My Goddess and Keitaro from Love Hina. Shinji doesn't fit well in that group, but he does have sullenness that I associate with Koyuki.

And for further clarification, I'm referring to Hideki from Chobits. Basically the first three are that cut-from-the-same-dull-mold type and Shinji is the poster boy from melancholia, so that's where it came from.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble: It's pretty good for some laughs, but I think that it gets better in later volumes, when the focus shifts to the rest of the cast. I always thought that Sukuran was better in the when the focus wasn't really on Tenma, but maybe that's just me. Still, I'm a huge fan of the manga, so I'm probably getting this at some point.

Beck: Food for the wannabe-rock star's soul! Koyuki may have his pathetic sullen loser moments, but he seems to be quite a bit more likable than Keiichi/Hideki/Keitaro. Maybe it's just because Beck isn't a harem romance comedy, since harem series have the nasty habit of having really annoying male leads. I dunno. Koyuki is a bit more likable than those three, since he gets more character development through the first few DVDs than most harem leads get in their entire series. Shinji, though, is another point of comparison altogether.

I used to make a lot of anime mix CDs a while back, and I definitely agree that it's a far more involved exercise than making a 1000+ song playlist on an mp3 player. And yeah, 1/3 Junjou na Kanjou from RK is one track that never left my mixes.. Also, what about Laruku's Driver's High from GTO? Or Doraemon no Uta?

Yeah, the plamo Shelf Obsessed dude definitely needs to dust.. But considering the tropical climate and general dust situation in the Philippines, I'd guess that the dust there is just about a month or two old.. It's the main reason why most of my models are in storage, awaiting the purchase of a glass display case for them. Dusting is hell, hahaha. Crying or Very sad
Ergzay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, bad review of sukuran (School Rumble). Yea it most definitely gets better after the first DVD. This would be one of my top favorites in all of anime for best comedy. The second season isn't wonderfully amazing (still quite good) but the first is quite good. Definite buy. If you don't believe me watch the first 7 or 8 episodes or so (well past first dvd) and THEN give the anime a rating. Oh and I wouldn't know as I haven't watched the dub, but I find it VERY hard to believe that any american VAs could give that anime a decent representation as the acting is so very varied. Watch those 7 or 8 episodes in sub form.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:
Wow, bad review of sukuran (School Rumble).
It's not that bad in my opinion. She hates Tenma. Everyone does, quite frankly. Good news to whoever's watching: they usually focus on other, more interesting people. Like that whatshisname delinquent. Smile

Boo Tenma boo Karasuma. Sawachika Eri is where it's at!

I love this week's column for the German word of the day it gives me. Weltschmerz! Wiki it!

And BECK is too awesome for words. The songs get pretty annoying after a while though -.-"

The butterfly musing reminds me of a particularly powerful and poignant passage (p's!) from All Quiet On The Western Front where the protagonist observes the scene of no man's land with such romantic melancholy that I thought for a week it was the best book ever.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
She hates Tenma. Everyone does, quite frankly.

Well, everyone except for me. I love Tenma. She's so clueless, it's just so darn cute (not to mention her cute character design)! Oh, and she's funny as hell too. Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Well, everyone except for me. I love Tenma. She's so clueless, it's just so darn cute (not to mention her cute character design)! Oh, and she's funny as hell too. Anime catgrin
Very Happy

Just to be sure, I was simply firing up my Hyperbolic weapons and don't exactly mean what I say. It's more something along the lines of "they're boring. Harima is more fun. Much more fun. And so are Eri, Yakumo, Ichi-san, etc." which is purely, if still popular, personal opinion.

Edit: Grammar and I don't get along.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Very Happy

Just to be sure, I was simply firing up my Hyperbolic weapons and don't exactly mean what I say. It's more something along the lines of "they're boring. Harima is more fun. Much more fun. And so are Eri, Yakumo, Ichi-san, etc." which is purely, if still popular, personal opinion.

Yeah, I know that. You couldn't have possibly meant that literally everyone hates Tenma. I was just using that statement that as a means to pop in on the conversation is all. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
Red Garden vol.1 - The series is quite a winner. I followed it from 1-22 in fansubs(the 2nd series I ever watched through fansubs). I was overall pleased with the series. Definately.Shelf Worthy

BECK vol.2 - I previewed vol.2 at a screening. It lost its edge and quite honestly, just failed to entertain. The terrible video quality aside, nice series -- but one I can't support any longer due to my FUNimation boycott. This would get Rental for me FUNi boycott aside.

School Rumble vol.1 - I really don't see anything special about it. It appears to be the stereotypical school-life, comedy, drama, romance series. Other than a few subtitle issues and video problems, I don't think this is great at all. Episode 1 bored me and the quite honestly, weak VAing (Luci Christian was quite possibly the best). The tin is just ugly as sin. Again, no plans to support for above reasons and FUNimation boycott. This really deserved a perishable spot to me, with FUNi boycott aside.

I haven't seen The Legend of Dog Warriors or whatever. Doesn't look very interesting or sound interesting.

And Shelf Obsessed... wow.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

And I'm glad to see more love for Beck; something this site is kinda lacking. As a huge fan of rock music it's definitely my favorite. On that note I just want to add that I got some really cool Beck stuff at NDK from Greg Ayres; that truly made my weekend (well, that and seeing Megadeth).

The only thing I've seen of Beck is actually what I saw at his panel at NDK, but between the excellent preview Greg gave there and the reviews, I'm definitely wanting to check out the show now. (Darn Greg, got me wanting to buy two new series when I have a ton of unfinished ones laying around my house. Anime hyper;; )

I think I'll have to give all of these series a rental. ...Now if i can only scrape together enough money to actually buy one or two of them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
BECK vol.2 - I previewed vol.2 at a screening. It lost its edge and quite honestly, just failed to entertain. The terrible video quality aside, nice series -- but one I can't support any longer due to my FUNimation boycott.

That's a real shame, because you're missing out on an incredible series.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
The only thing I've seen of Beck is actually what I saw at his panel at NDK, but between the excellent preview Greg gave there and the reviews, I'm definitely wanting to check out the show now. (Darn Greg, got me wanting to buy two new series when I have a ton of unfinished ones laying around my house. Anime hyper;; )

What was the preview like? I would've gone but I was only down for Saturday.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

What was the preview like? I would've gone but I was only down for Saturday.

It was pretty interesting. Greg Ayres said Beck was "one of those shows where not a whole lot happens in the very first episode" (I'm probably paraphrasing), so he had a special preview disc made that showed different clips from the first volume of the series that were spoiler-free, but showed off the feel of the show and a few important moments in the show. (When the main character meets Beck, some things with the swim coach, the opening theme, a few different concert scenes, things of that nature.) He then showed one of the DVD extras from the first volume (the music video), and a scene from the soon-to-be released volume 3 (another concert scene--I forget exactly what song it was, but something to do with a moon...?)

Oh, and he also revealed that Funimation was unable to get the rights for the Beatles song at the end of the series (something that he admitted he was pretty upset about when he heard about it), but the Japanese gave them a song to use that they combined with the chorus from the ending theme that turned out to be not quite as good as the Beatles song, but enough that Greg was satisfied with it.

Overall it was a really good panel. Greg Ayres' enthusiasm for the show (and Nerima Daikon Brothers, the other series he previewed) was pretty obvious, he set up the clips well, and I think the previews he showed gave a pretty good idea of what the feel of the show was like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
It was pretty interesting. Greg Ayres said Beck was "one of those shows where not a whole lot happens in the very first episode" (I'm probably paraphrasing), so he had a special preview disc made that showed different clips from the first volume of the series that were spoiler-free, but showed off the feel of the show and a few important moments in the show. (When the main character meets Beck, some things with the swim coach, the opening theme, a few different concert scenes, things of that nature.) He then showed one of the DVD extras from the first volume (the music video), and a scene from the soon-to-be released volume 3 (another concert scene--I forget exactly what song it was, but something to do with a moon...?)

Yes, not too much happens in the first episode in the overall scheme of things, besides meeting a lot of the main characters. Then in the second episode when in starts really getting into the whole rock music thing is when it starts to get good.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh, and he also revealed that Funimation was unable to get the rights for the Beatles song at the end of the series (something that he admitted he was pretty upset about when he heard about it), but the Japanese gave them a song to use that they combined with the chorus from the ending theme that turned out to be not quite as good as the Beatles song, but enough that Greg was satisfied with it.

Yeah, I talked to him about that too. He told me he went into the recording session in a sour mood and everybody was really disappointed that they couldn't get the rights. Though he also said that several of them, including himself, offered to work on the second half of the show for free if that would help; alas, it didn't work.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Overall it was a really good panel. Greg Ayres' enthusiasm for the show (and Nerima Daikon Brothers, the other series he previewed) was pretty obvious, he set up the clips well, and I think the previews he showed gave a pretty good idea of what the feel of the show was like.

Man, I really wish I could've gone, even if I'm already a huge fan of the show, because it sounds like it was a good time.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

Yeah, I talked to him about that too. He told me he went into the recording session in a sour mood and everybody was really disappointed that they couldn't get the rights. Though he also said that several of them, including himself, offered to work on the second half of the show for free if that would help; alas, it didn't work.

Yup, he mentioned that at the panel. Poor Greg, it sounds like he really cares about the show, and it was obviously pretty frustrating for him...(although, then again, he seems like he's fairly satisfied with the solution, so that's probably a good sign).

Quote:

Man, I really wish I could've gone, even if I'm already a huge fan of the show, because it sounds like it was a good time.

It's really too bad you couldn't make it...I really enjoyed the panel--it was probably my favorite of the entire con. (Although I'm a bit of a dub actor fangirl, so I'm sure that helped. Anime hyper; ) It's good you got to at least chat with Greg, though, since he covered some of the things he mentioned in the panel.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
He then showed one of the DVD extras from the first volume (the music video), and a scene from the soon-to-be released volume 3 (another concert scene--I forget exactly what song it was, but something to do with a moon...?)

I think that it's "Full Moon Sway"/"Moon on the Water" (depending on whether you believe the title they use in-show, and the title on the soundtrack CDs).

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh, and he also revealed that Funimation was unable to get the rights for the Beatles song at the end of the series

Whyyyy!? Noooooo~! It was such a nice song, too... Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3