• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.0 is Now Top Grossing Eva Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Falling prices means that it takes more attendees to get the same gross as it would if prices were higher, because they're losing money through the declining yen. If you adjusted EOE for inflation, then at least it's mostly the same number of people, but clearly on the decline. However, with deflation, that means that there are significantly less people on the average, because they're making a smaller return based on the lower value of the ticket, in spite of the high attendance.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Falling prices means that it takes more attendees to get the same gross as it would if prices were higher, because they're losing money through the declining yen. If you adjusted EOE for inflation, then at least it's mostly the same number of people, but clearly on the decline. However, with deflation, that means that there are significantly less people on the average, because they're making a smaller return based on the lower value of the ticket, in spite of the high attendance.

Average movie price for a regular show is 1600 yen.

`Late show` price is 1200 yen.

`First of the month` price is 1000 yen.

Plus factor in the extreme lack of free time in Eva`s target market range, and the general nature of the Japanese box office in general, and you have a hit on your hands.

I don`t know what the prices were 10 years ago. Or 20. Any old-timers about?

Oh, and the movie is MOTHER EFFING GREAT.
Spikemcruffy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
jj

Last edited by Spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
That's weird, because I heard they were 14-1500 yen only a while ago.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Uh, Eva: 1.0 didn't just get the same gross as The End of Eva--it surpassed The End of Eva's gross. Deflation means for Eva: 1.0 to have surpassed End of Eva's gross, as it did, it was seen more times.

So enough wrong armchair moguling out of you, please. Smile

TokyoGetter wrote:

Average movie price for a regular show is 1600 yen.

`Late show` price is 1200 yen.

`First of the month` price is 1000 yen.

Plus factor in the extreme lack of free time in Eva`s target market range, and the general nature of the Japanese box office in general, and you have a hit on your hands.

I don`t know what the prices were 10 years ago. Or 20. Any old-timers about?

Speaking as someone who saw both movies (and others) in the theaters in Japan, the prices were the same or higher ten years ago, thanks to Japan's flatlined economy.

Porcupine wrote:
I do not buy your guys' claims or logic that Eva is NOT dead.

You're asking people to prove a negative. You might as well say that you don't buy any franchise is not dead because it's still in theaters or the DVD is not out. Any franchise is ALIVE until it is dead. The burden of proof is not on those who say it is not dead.

Quote:
Note that I did not say Eva was dead, but I said that based on what limited info has come out so far, that it does not seem to be doing as well as I would have expected, which is a bad sign.

Fortunately, the producers in the Japanese movie industry are not dependent on your expectations. Smile They're dependent on their own, and they're somewhat what more experienced on those matters. That was the point of my second paragraph in the previous reply--your expectations don't determine the success of a movie in Japan.

[Edit: Please reply with just one post, there's no need to post 3 straight. I've compiled them all in to one for ya. - Keonyn]
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
And to top it all off, I don't think KLOCKWORX or the KHARA CORP. would lie about this being it's top grossing EVA film. I'm sure they did the math in comparison's to the level of deflation and economy evolution.

/j
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
All talk of money aside, I can't wait to see this movie, and the other three. I recently bought the Platinum series of the show, and loved all of it except the ending; End of Evangelion was an awesome conclusion, but I still want more!! Very Happy
Arcwave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
This just in::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wowHngrWJOw

Incredible. Awesome. Epic. Evangelion 1.0

/j
Shuchung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Why can't people just accept that the movie is doing well in box office?

Urge to flame rising...
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
testor: More people may have seen it, but not significantly enough people to beat the inflation-adjusted take of the first film. This would probably suggest that the fanbase for the series had expanded since EOE, but not in a huge way.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: More people may have seen it, but not significantly enough people to beat the inflation-adjusted take of the first film. This would probably suggest that the fanbase for the series had expanded since EOE, but not in a huge way.

Fact:
Japan experienced deflation in the past decade, not inflation.

Fact:
You keep insisting on adjusting for inflation.

Conclusion:
You're in denial.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
The burden of proof is not on those who say it is not dead.

Fortunately, the producers in the Japanese movie industry are not dependent on your expectations.
The burden of proof is on those who are making a strong statement of some kind that they are trying to pass off as fact. Which is in fact you guys, who are adamantly stating that Eva is NOT dead, that it is alive and kicking strong. And maybe also GATSU or whoever else wants to say that Eva IS dead.

I, on the other hand, merely stated that I side with neither of you. I stated that I am uncertain, and these movie sales figures do not shift me to side with either camp. If Eva 1.0 had sold $30 million in ticket sales then I would have sided with testorschoice, etc. If Eva 1.0 had sold $1 million I would have sided with GATSU. Anywhere in the vicinity of what End of Eva made, plus or minus 20% or so, is essentially a neutral result to me.

Also keep in mind that you did not count the ticket sales of Death and Rebirth, which is essentially the same movie as End of Eva (it shows about half of End of Eva and little else). If you think about things that way, then Eva 1.0 did ATROCIOUS compared to "End of Eva" which actually raked in $20 million plus because of a greedy re-showing in theatres.

I also said that the DVD sales will probably matter more in the end than ticket sales, or at least equally as much, so keep your pants on and keep your judgements to yourself, is all I suggested. If the new Eva movies are really made to awesome production quality, the DVDs should sell well, and there are still 3 movies to come in the future. If this movie is made cheaply then the franchise is gonna fall under even if this movie had sold $30 million in tickets because the DVD won't sell well. It's still too early to say, especially for those of us who have not seen the movie for ourselves.

Finally, my expectations may or may not matter, but neither do yours. And you don't know the expectations of the producers any more than I do.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
The burden of proof is not on those who say it is not dead.

Fortunately, the producers in the Japanese movie industry are not dependent on your expectations.
The burden of proof is on those who are making a strong statement of some kind that they are trying to pass off as fact. Which is in fact you guys, who are adamantly stating that Eva is NOT dead, that it is alive and kicking strong. And maybe also GATSU or whoever else wants to say that Eva IS dead.

Uh, this started with Gatsu saying he thinks Eva's dead. We only said that it isn't, and demonstrated that Gatsu is using faulty data and faulty thinking.

Quote:
I, on the other hand, merely stated that I side with neither of you. I stated that I am uncertain, and these movie sales figures do not shift me to side with either camp. If Eva 1.0 had sold $30 million in ticket sales then I would have sided with testorschoice, etc. If Eva 1.0 had sold $1 million I would have sided with GATSU. Anywhere in the vicinity of what End of Eva made, plus or minus 20% or so, is essentially a neutral result to me.

It's neither alive nor dead? Wink If it made roughly the same amount as the last movie and is profitable, it's still alive.

Quote:
Also keep in mind that you did not count the ticket sales of Death and Rebirth, which is essentially the same movie as End of Eva (it shows about half of End of Eva and little else). If you think about things that way, then Eva 1.0 did ATROCIOUS compared to "End of Eva" which actually raked in $20 million plus because of a greedy re-showing in theatres.

Uh, by that logic, then half of Death and Rebirth's take shouldn't be counted at all since that "little else" is half the movie of just recycled television footage.

Fortunately, the movie industry doesn't subscribe to this convoluted logic of taking two movies and measuring them against one to declare a franchise dead or not.

Quote:
I also said that the DVD sales will probably matter more in the end than ticket sales, or at least equally as much, so keep your pants on and keep your judgements to yourself, is all I suggested. If the new Eva movies are really made to awesome production quality, the DVDs should sell well, and there are still 3 movies to come in the future. If this movie is made cheaply then the franchise is gonna fall under even if this movie had sold $30 million in tickets because the DVD won't sell well. It's still too early to say, especially for those of us who have not seen the movie for ourselves.

If the movie sold $12.8 million+ in ticket sales and sold absolutely zero DVDs, it would still earn...$12.8 million+. According to another article this week, Eva 1.0 had a budget of 5-10 million. That means Eva 1.0 has already made back its budget and is in the black--before DVDs. DVDs won't determine if the franchise is alive or dead, since that's already done. DVDs will simply add more profit.

Quote:
Finally, my expectations may or may not matter, but neither do yours. And you don't know the expectations of the producers any more than I do.

We do know. That's what the official blog and the newspaper reports are for. Smile
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Uh, this started with Gatsu saying he thinks Eva's dead. We only said that it isn't, and demonstrated that Gatsu is using faulty data and faulty thinking.
You didn't "demonstrate" anything. Most arguments you have given so far have not made sense. Only you think they make sense, in your own illogical mind. I have addressed, and continue to address, the statements you make, but you often fail to understand and address the statements that I make.

I think it's obvious that Gatsu does not think Eva is dead right at this moment. When he says that he thinks Eva is dead, he means that he is certain the franchise is doomed to become dead or very unprofitable in the near future (say, within the next 5 years). You, on the other hand, have been arguing that the franchise is now seeing record profits, and is more healthy than ever.

Right now, I say neither of you are correct. Neither of you has the evidence to back up your claims. These figures regarding the ticket sales of Eva 1.0 are not conclusive either way. To be honest, I lean more towards Gatsu's conclusions, given the current figures. However, I admit that the current figures are certainly not proof of anything, and much is yet to be decided. The most important figures are yet to come. You, on the other hand, keep trying to use these silly figures of movie sales to prove a case that the Eva franchise is doing well, which is simply not a convincing argument. You have given many illogical arguments, and re-iterated again and again that you have shown that Eva is doing well, but that's not proof.

Quote:
It's neither alive nor dead? Wink If it made roughly the same amount as the last movie and is profitable, it's still alive.
You're just being a smart-aleck here. Like I just said above, it's obvious that Eva is currently alive. It's not dead yet. That's not what we are talking about. But if this is what you were trying to talk about, then you're a complete fool, and it's not worth anyone's time talking to you. And if you are just trying to be a smart-aleck here, and aren't discussing things in 100% honesty, then it's not worth talking to you either.

Quote:
Uh, by that logic, then half of Death and Rebirth's take shouldn't be counted at all since that "little else" is half the movie of just recycled television footage.
No, this is only by your illogical "logic" that no one else but you subscribes to. And even if this were true, the sales from 'End of Eva' + '1/2 of Death and Rebirth' is still about 40% more than the sales of Eva 1.0.

Quote:
If the movie sold $12.8 million+ in ticket sales and sold absolutely zero DVDs, it would still earn...$12.8 million+. According to another article this week, Eva 1.0 had a budget of 5-10 million. That means Eva 1.0 has already made back its budget and is in the black
If an article can't decide for itself if Eva 1.0 had a budget of 5 million or 10 million, then that article has doesn't know how much Eva 1.0 actually cost to produce.

Quote:
We do know. That's what the official blog and the newspaper reports are for. Smile
If you want other people to believe you, you must show your sources.

Guess what, I know exactly how much Eva 1.0 cost to produce and furthermore I have evidence that the sales profits given so far have been a lie which has been fed to the media. Hideaki Anno himself has told me these things. Actually, Eva 1.0 only made $3 million at the ticket booths so far.

(Do you believe me? I suspect not. Similarly, I don't believe what you say either unless you show proof of your sources).
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
You didn't "demonstrate" anything. Most arguments you have given so far have not made sense. Only you think they make sense, in your own illogical mind. I have addressed, and continue to address, the statements you make, but you often fail to understand and address the statements that I make.

Uh, everyone else in this thread but you and GATSU agrees that Evangelion has demonstrated it is not dead, so I'm not sure where you get the "only you" part. Smile

Quote:
I think it's obvious that Gatsu does not think Eva is dead right at this moment. When he says that he thinks Eva is dead, he means that he is certain the franchise is doomed to become dead or very unprofitable in the near future (say, within the next 5 years).

GATSU's words:
Quote:
"It's fairly clear that Gainax milked the series for far too long to the point of irrelevance."

"It is dead, when it's already slipping, while EOE was successful enough to have a longer run."

GATSU was initially arguing that that franchise is dead because it already slipping and irrelevant. He didn't say anything about "5 years." It is only recently that he acknowledged that manga and games are also successful and that film itself was a success, even though he was still stuck in the inflation mindset.

Quote:
You, on the other hand, have been arguing that the franchise is now seeing record profits, and is more healthy than ever.

Please show where. There is a subtle distinction between what you claim I said, and what I actually said. I argued that it has surpassed the last film in box office totals. Which is exactly what the article of this thread said.

Quote:
Right now, I say neither of you are correct. Neither of you has the evidence to back up your claims. These figures regarding the ticket sales of Eva 1.0 are not conclusive either way. To be honest, I lean more towards Gatsu's conclusions, given the current figures. However, I admit that the current figures are certainly not proof of anything, and much is yet to be decided. The most important figures are yet to come. You, on the other hand, keep trying to use these silly figures of movie sales to prove a case that the Eva franchise is doing well, which is simply not a convincing argument. You have given many illogical arguments, and re-iterated again and again that you have shown that Eva is doing well, but that's not proof.

Box office figures are "silly"?

* Nippon Television says the movie's budget is less than $10 million.
* Box Office Mojo says that the movie has grossed $12.8 million so far.
* Three more movies are coming, with one already in production that has animation footage previewed already.
*The current movie is profitable and more movies are being made.

The current project is already profitable, and more are being made right now. What other criteria is needed to demonstrate a franchise is not dead?

Quote:
Quote:
You're just being a smart-aleck here. Like I just said above, it's obvious that Eva is currently alive. It's not dead yet. That's not what we are talking about.

Before you entered the discussion, that was what Gatsu was claiming. He was saying that the current movie is selling less than the last movie. That was what we were disproving.

Quote:
Quote:
No, this is only by your illogical "logic" that no one else but you subscribes to. And even if this were true, the sales from 'End of Eva' + '1/2 of Death and Rebirth' is still about 40% more than the sales of Eva 1.0.

Again, you're comparing one movie's ongoing total to more than one movie's total, which fortunately, no one else is doing. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
If the movie sold $12.8 million+ in ticket sales and sold absolutely zero DVDs, it would still earn...$12.8 million+. According to another article this week, Eva 1.0 had a budget of 5-10 million. That means Eva 1.0 has already made back its budget and is in the black
If an article can't decide for itself if Eva 1.0 had a budget of 5 million or 10 million, then that article has doesn't know how much Eva 1.0 actually cost to produce.

The article itself doesn't say it is either 5 million or 10 million. It is directly quoting the category that Nippon Television itself submitted the movie under the American Film Market. Even if it is at the high end of that range, that is still lower than $12.8 million+ gross earnings.

Quote:
Quote:
If you want other people to believe you, you must show your sources.

http://eva.b-ch.com/blog/nerv/archives/58
http://www.afmfilms.org/catalog/FilmDetail.php?id=4183
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?yr=2007&wk=39&p=.htm
http://www.eiga-ranking.com/ranking/distribution/1997.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3