• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Takehiko Inoue at Kinokuniya NYC

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
crescendoll wrote:
I'm definitely going to get my hands on WATER and SUMI when they come out.

Darkhunter wrote:
Check out the Water artbook on the bookshelf in the first picture of the mural.

ArielTsuki wrote:

Both artbooks have been out for a while now.

The versions of Water and Sumi that are out, and were visible in the bookstore, are Japanese imports. I haven't had a chance to browse through them, so I don't know how much text there is in the artbooks to make it matter.

Certainly if it's 99% art, the language doesn't really matter, but if there's significant amount of text to go with the art, like in Masamune's Intro Depot, then you'd certainly want to be able to read the text (not the greatest example since Intron Depot includes Japanese and English text in its original format, but afaik that isn't the case with Sumi or Water).

Viz will be releasing domestic versions sometime in 2008 or 2009.

My recommendation to Crescendoll is to check out the imports (if you have access to a Japanese book store that carries them) and see if you'd like to have the imports now, or if you'd rather wait for a translated (and probably cheaper) release in a year or so...

-t
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
crescendoll wrote:
I'm definitely going to get my hands on WATER and SUMI when they come out.

Darkhunter wrote:
Check out the Water artbook on the bookshelf in the first picture of the mural.

ArielTsuki wrote:

Both artbooks have been out for a while now.

The versions of Water and Sumi that are out, and were visible in the bookstore, are Japanese imports. I haven't had a chance to browse through them, so I don't know how much text there is in the artbooks to make it matter.

Certainly if it's 99% art, the language doesn't really matter, but if there's significant amount of text to go with the art, like in Masamune's Intro Depot, then you'd certainly want to be able to read the text (not the greatest example since Intron Depot includes Japanese and English text in its original format, but afaik that isn't the case with Sumi or Water).

My recommendation to Crescendoll is to check out the imports (if you have access to a Japanese book store that carries them) and see if you'd like to have the imports now, or if you'd rather wait for a translated (and probably cheaper) release in a year or so...

-t

i have both artbook since Nov 06 and it's 99% art with a few english text ike "water" . You can get it online at yesasia (ship in the u.s. and free shipping over 25 dollar) or a Kino store.

I wonder if Viz can reproduce the same quality as the import or do a cheap magazine qaulity artbook.
crescendoll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
...The versions of Water and Sumi that are out, and were visible in the bookstore, are Japanese imports. I haven't had a chance to browse through them, so I don't know how much text there is in the artbooks to make it matter.
[...]

-t
Thanks for the recommendation! And thanks to darkhunter for posting up sample pictures of the artbook. Very informative.

Alas, not only do I not have any import or specialty stores in my area, I'm also of the "perpetually poor college student" breed of fan, so I'll probably just stick with my resolution to wait for Viz to release their version. If it turns out their quality is sub-par, well I guess I can always save my pennies or something...

Thanks again!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:38 am Reply with quote
BTW, he just updated the English version of his blog, regarding the trip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2