• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime Studios Confirmed for Batman Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy9076

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote
Oh really?! Awesome! Nice change of art style from the 90s Batman. Not many people know that the Japanese/Korean/Chinese folks animated that. Anyways Bruce Timm + I.G. and madHouse makes it automatic win off the bat!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sommerstars8o8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote
Thats awesome !!

I grew up watching Batman : The Animated Series during the 90's right after power ranger * yeah yeah i use to watch them * anyway i am really looking forward to this sega . I wonder whom are they going to cast in this series i hope they cast Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill and the rest of the cast .
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:27 am Reply with quote
Ha! I almosted e-mail this in when I saw the news on another site. Glad to see ANN pick up on it. It's awesome news. Some great writers and directors from Western comics and animation getting together with some excellent Japanese animation studios. I can't wait.

I also enjoy Asamiya's manga and Otomo's comic short for Batman Black and White. Though I don't see either working here as this is set in Year One and between the two new films. I even got some of the Asamiya designed figures they released a while back.

Roy9076 wrote:
Oh really?! Awesome! Nice change of art style from the 90s Batman. Not many people know that the Japanese/Korean/Chinese folks animated that.

No they didn't. Unless you're talking about in between stuff and grunt work, but it usually goes without saying that that stuff is shipped and outsourced overseas.

Sorry if I'm being a bit oversensitive, but I'm sick of anime fans saying Batman TAS was done by a Japanese company. Even had a friend tell me that, said it was by the same people who did Big O. I was dumbfounded by how wrong he was. It was produced in house by Timm and company at Warners. You know, Warners own animation studio that's been around decades? Sure they've gone down hill from their golden age, but don't count them out.

Though I admit hearing them going elsewhere ala the Animatrix doesn't seem a good sign. Though it does conversely seem a good sign that they're making connections with Japanese studios.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Sorry if I'm being a bit oversensitive, but I'm sick of anime fans saying Batman TAS was done by a Japanese company.

Not all episodes, but you are showing ignorance to argue that fact.

Most episodes were done in Korea. A country which makes up the lifeblood of our animation industry.

There were a handful of Japanese studios that produced episodes, but later TMS was the only studio that bothered to stay.

The Xenos wrote:
Even had a friend tell me that, said it was by the same people who did Big O. I was dumbfounded by how wrong he was.

Actually he's half-wrong. Sunrise did SELECT episodes of Batman (Pretty Poison, The Clock King) but only up until the end of Fox Kids run of the series.

After Kids WB was established, Tokyo Movie was the only Japanese studio left on the job.

Believe me when I say this, Japanese studios CAN do a great job for US animation. If you don't believe me, look at Micah Wright's pilot of Constant Payne (Tama Pro, MADHOUSE), Galaxy High (Tokyo Movie Shinsha) or X-Men Evolution (Mook).

And I bet you'd crap blood if I told you those Rankin-Bass Christmas specials are produced mostly in Japan....Stop-Motion AND Cel Animation.

That doesn't mean the planning is never done in the West, storyboards and all but I can say that if you think anything non-Ghibli or non-Production IG animation from Japan is made of crap...well I just poked a hole in your logic.

The Xenos wrote:
It was produced in house by Timm and company at Warners. You know, Warners own animation studio that's been around decades?

Spectrum, Sunrise, TMS and Junio are all Japanese.

Dong Yang, Dr Movie, Akom and Koko are Korean studios.

You'd know that if you actually read the credits before making that claim.

As far as I know all the planning is done in house and the storyboards are too but the animation is overseas. If that shocks you, I suggest you abandon denial. It's childish.

The Xenos wrote:
Sure they've gone down hill from their golden age, but don't count them out.

Dong Yang and Dr. Movie do most of the work which you speak.

Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freakazoid, Superman and Batman were never done in-house.

The closest series that has been were the first 2 because of Startoons and/or Kennedy.

Even John K (creator of Ren & Stimpy and Western animation conservative) would tell you that you missed the boat on how rare in-house ongoing animation is done for studios outside Disney these days (and it happened as early as the 80s, even ironically enough Disney used the same Japanese and Korean labor for Ducktales, Gummi Bears and Pooh).

I'd argue Wildbrain probably does more in-house animation than Warner does for Television animation.

The Xenos wrote:
Though I admit hearing them going elsewhere ala the Animatrix doesn't seem a good sign. Though it does conversely seem a good sign that they're making connections with Japanese studios

They had a healthy relationship with Tokyo Movie Shinsha after 1995, giving them preference for the "big" episodes of their selected series.

TMS dropped out of overseas production unfortunately. People are looking to Production I.G. as their new magic pony these days.

The Xenos wrote:

No they didn't. Unless you're talking about in between stuff and grunt work, but it usually goes without saying that that stuff is shipped and outsourced overseas.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/batman/tnba/episodes/08growingpains/

Directed by Atsuko Tanaka

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/batman/tnba/episodes/13meanseasons/

Directed by Hiroyuki Aoyama

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/batman/tnba/episodes/06neverfear/

Directed by Kenji Hachizaki

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/batman/tnba/episodes/12overtheedge/

Directed by Yuichiro Yano

Yeah, gruntwork. That's what it is...

Last edited by MugenKeiji on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I just hope their Joker is better than the Heath Ledger one. Hell, I'll even take this version of him. Rolling Eyes

Out.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
I stand corrected. Though I guess it is a bit of perspective. When I said in house production, I meant top down direction and production. Crap. Rereading, it does sound wrong. Sorry about that.

Writing, storyboards, character design. That was done more in house at Warner. The animation itself, actually, you're right. More than I made it sound was done overseas.

The more I think of it, the more the old production sounds more like this current Ani-Batman. Though maybe it was more the latter seasons. I got the impression more stuff was in house at the start of the show. Though even then it was certainly far far from all animation in house. They shipped a lot overseas. You are right.

Still, from what my friend says and some other fans I've heard at cons and online, they think the whole production was done by like Sunrise. Meanwhile, I can name a number of writers, designers and directors. I still think a number of fans may write it off as a Japanese production. Certainly you can argue the workforce was Asian, outsourced to a number of studios. Though what I should have said is that the creative decisions were more from America and within Warners. Compare that to even Big O season II which was co-funded by the US or most anime and I think you'll see what I'm trying to say. I hope.

I have this book I love about the production of Batman TAS. It shows a lot of the work done in house at Warners. It actually talks about sending stuff out and getting stuff back from Korea or where else they shipped the grunt work. Though that's not mentioned as much because, that was mostly out of their hands. They wrote about what they did.

Plus there was an interesting story, maybe from an interview and not the book. They shipped story boards and character designs over to Korea for a funeral scene. It was supposed to have background cameos by a bunch of DC and Jack Kirby characters. They get it back from Korea and they replace them with generic characters due to a mix up. They either shipped it back or fixed the mistake in house at Warners.

I'm also reminded of Clerks the animated series. The commentary is interested as Smith never worked on animation. He was amazed at how they shipped stuff over to Korea and how they'd get stuff back for approval. Some stuff they'd get back was like character designs, but also odd stuff like tables and brief cases. Certainly more design and production was done overseas. Smith and company weren't animators. Some interesting stories about animation on that commentary track. Meanwhile Timm and Warner Brothers had an animation studio. They sure weren't anywhere near what they used to be but it was more than Smith had, so they did more and shipped less overseas from the sounds of it.

Still, yes, it was farmed out to a number of studios all around Asian. I'm sorry if I made it sound otherwise.

Yet it was produced creatively by Warners. Just like I'm fairly most anime is farmed out to Korea and I think I've heard to various South East Asian countries too. In fact, didn't Korea's animation studios original works spin from studios that did the grunt work on anime and US toons? Now they're trying to show that they can do their own stuff? And good for them.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
Kevin Conroy has got to reprise this role. His portrayal has got to be the best, as much as I like Christian Bale's. Kevin Conroy IS Batman!
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
Kevin Conroy has got to reprise this role. His portrayal has got to be the best, as much as I like Christian Bale's. Kevin Conroy IS Batman!

Just as Mark Hamill IS the Joker. Hands down my favorite Joker actor/VA. I wonder if the Joker will be in any of these shorts, and if he is, I hope to god they use Hamill as the VA.
Ghiblix2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
OMG OMG OMG OMG. 3 of my most favorite animation studios are doing the best American comic book hero WOW!

And mugen, you have a surprisingly deep knowledge of this stuff, research for a disseration? That reply reads like one, j/k Razz

My only problem with that is you cited X-Men evolution as being one of the better Japanese jobs on American subjects, and that's just wrong. I personally think that is a shining example of what CAN go wrong when foreign animators are working on native stuff. The character portrayals aren't as solid and true to their characters and I found the animation to be terrible, even if it is a bit better than WB's stuff in some instances.

Regardless, Studio 4C is probably one of the most amazing studios in Japan right now, their stuff is not only graphically beautiful it's pretty profound in content as well.
As for Production IG, I loved what they did in the Animatrix despite apparent mixed reviews on the series and they did GITS:SAC, so they can never go wrong with me ever again.

And lastly, Madhouse. Solid studio and did the animation on some of my most favorite animes to date. Although, I doubt they are going to be in charge of much of the action sequences, the other two have that covered.

All and all, this is the most exciting news I've read in a while >.>
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Ghiblix2 wrote:

My only problem with that is you cited X-Men evolution as being one of the better Japanese jobs on American subjects, and that's just wrong. I personally think that is a shining example of what CAN go wrong when foreign animators are working on native stuff. The character portrayals aren't as solid and true to their characters and I found the animation to be terrible, even if it is a bit better than WB's stuff in some instances.

I only talk about the animation in terms of either coloring or comparitive technical quality. NEVER said ANYTHING about story or characters. Most cases the planning is done in the west, where the animation is outsourced.

It's a whole lot better than what they're doing for Transformers Animated. Hell it's better than Teen Titans, MASK, Popples, Ben 10, Static Shock and W.I.T.C.H (European animation is a bit of a turn off...Asterix is special though) in terms of animation quality. I'm not going to run it in the same league as Batman or Gargoyles, but it's still pretty decent to look at compared to most trash (like the "new" Fantastic Four cartoon). To me it has that 80s cartoon look (think TMNT) with a higher quality but no Yamaha DX7 synth music.

Even if X-Men Evolution would still be considered a bad example, then look at the Scooby Doo movies from 1998-2001 like the Witch's Ghost (most scenes involving the Hex Girls) and Zombie Island (the Opera-esque interview with Daphne & crew). Those are also Mook DLE projects that show what Japanese animators are made of.

The same team also did Stan Lee's bomb of a series, Stripperella.

Swat Kats would qualify as well, just to show what kind of train Western animation should try taking again sometime...
darcerin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait. I'm thrilled that this is not only happening, but that Bruce Timm is behind it. Smile
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:

No way. I love his Batman as well as Hamill's Joker, they're wonderful, perfect, but this is a whole other entity. It's all for the Nolan films. It would be nice if they could get Bale and others in on it. Hell, Michael Cane as Alfred? Morgan Freeman as Lucius? How brilliant is that?
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Words cannot describe how excited I am by this. Animatrix was by far the best thing to come out of the Matrix franchise. Now Batman, who is already completely awesome, gets almost the same treatment(minus Japanese creators doing the scripts), with the DCAU mastermind directing, some great writers, and my three favorite anime studios? My jaw was on the floor when I saw the news and I still don't quite believe it, but I sure as hell know what I'm picking up this spring.
eloyabun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
Thank, you Anime smile.

You noticed my humble comment about Katsuhiro Otomo’s Batman story (“The Third Mask” in Batman: Black & White) and added to the article, even mentioning my nickname =D. By the way I must comment that that issue is one of the fewer Batman comics that I have ever bought (I’m by far, more into manga than in American comics) regardless, I do no repent to readed it, because is a comic that can appeal everyone. If I can, I would like to scan a couple of pages of that comic and post links to it in this thread to show it to anyone interested in it Anime smile;
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Finally, something has been announced!

It's been nearly two years since I found out about this project, and to be honest I'd forgotten about it until I saw some of the production art for this while visiting Madhouse not too terribly long ago. Of course it was with the understanding that I couldn't talk about it.

It looks really good.

Now I wonder when the OTHER property will be announced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3