• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Protestant Leaders Call for Ban on Ikki Tousen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Wow. For a second there I thought it was a typo. The Protestant Church in Russia? I knew about Eastern Rite Catholics in Eastern Europe, but I didn't know the protestants were that big in Russia.

Well, even if the Orthodox Church there, of which is pretty much part of my Church, I'd think they were idiots. Thankfully, it wasn't. It's some Evangelical or other right wing Protestant denomination. I thought that blight upon the world and bad name for Christians was only around this this country. Seems I was wrong.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
Its impressive to say the least that any group of people, small or large, thinks they have some kind of entitlement to controlling other people's lives. At least the protestants are living up to their name. Considering their place in Russia though, maybe this action is more of a statement and a publicity stunt? I'd be curious to know. Either way they've demonstrated that they really don't have a well-rounded understanding of what South Park is. Lumping that with some dumb anime screams of ignorance, no?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Conan-san wrote:
Thing is, is would anything of value be lost with Ikki Tousen geting the kick?

Censoring anything can lead down a slippery slope. If they can get rid of this because they disapprove of it's content, they can also potentially get rid of something of value for the same reason. This is why freedom of expression must be protected even in the case of arguably the worst anime ever created.
I honestly dissagree, Ikki Tousen is as low tier as all hell get out.
If the show was Cowboy Bepop, I'd honestly care.

Besides "Save this sick filth" doesn't have that Same kick.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:06 am Reply with quote
And just what gives YOU the right to decide what is filth and what is not?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Quote:
Conan-san wrote:
Thing is, is would anything of value be lost with Ikki Tousen geting the kick?

Censoring anything can lead down a slippery slope. If they can get rid of this because they disapprove of it's content, they can also potentially get rid of something of value for the same reason. This is why freedom of expression must be protected even in the case of arguably the worst anime ever created.
I honestly dissagree, Ikki Tousen is as low tier as all hell get out.
If the show was Cowboy Bepop, I'd honestly care.

Besides "Save this sick filth" doesn't have that Same kick.

DmonHiro has already addressed the key point here but let me elaborate on it. Okay, you think it's filth of no value but that's your opinion. But if others disagree, they should be free to watch it. It isn't harming anyone else so there's no reason it should be censored. How would you like it if somebody with stricter morals than you decides Cowboy Bebop is "flith" and should be censored. You shouldn't be forcing your morals and opinions on others.

Now, if you're just saying you don't agree it should be removed but just don't care if it is then thats more reasonable. However, I would encourage you to again put yourself in their place. Also again, there is the issue that this is the start of a potentially slippery slope that leads to the banning or censoring of something you do like. It's important to at least keep these things in mind. It's unpleasant but unfortunately if you want to support freedom of expression you must defend both the good and the bad. Of course, I've gotten a little off topic by this point. This really isn't as much of an issue since it's happening in Russia and may amount to nothing anyway. Also this is more of an issue of TV censorship which already exists anyway and is sort of a different thing anyway.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And just what gives YOU the right to decide what is filth and what is not?
And what of yourself? It's not just a load of dumbass fanservice, it's dumbass fanservice that pretends it's got a plot but is just pretending as much.

Like I said, the world would be better off without that show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Like I said, the world would be better off without that show.

I agree. It is a horrible show, not only for its poor quality but also the inappropriate fanservice (which frankly borders on misogyny). There is enjoyable fanservice that does not get in the way. And then there is trashy fanservice, where the show is all about the fanservice instead of being a show with fanservice. A show like Code Geass falls into the former category, while Ikki Tousen falls into the latter category.

That said, if anyone tried to ban it, then I would be outraged. Just because I believe it is trash does not mean I think it should not be protected. Such is the way the world works. I defend something I hate, to protect everything I love.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Such is the way the world works. I defend something I hate, to protect everything I love.

Well stated. I'm a big fan of the CBLDF even though they have supported some truly horrible material. Whenever I see their table in a dealers room I feel compelled to buy one of their signed donated comics or another shirt since many of my favorites like Gaiman, Miller and Jeff Smith are major supporters.

That said I did buy the Ikkitousen DVDs during one of the Geneon 25 for 100 deals and must agree that I had problems sitting through all four DVDs.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
the xenos wrote:
It's some Evangelical or other right wing Protestant denomination.

I'd just like to point out that Evangelical and Right-Wing are not even close to synonymous. Evangelical is a term that roughly means "spreading the message"; Right-wing is a political affiliation. There are plenty of moderate and liberal evangelicals out there, though they don't make the news because they don't say outlandish things that are worth reporting and laughing at.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Considering their place in Russia though, maybe this action is more of a statement and a publicity stunt? I'd be curious to know.

I am guessing that this is closer to the heart of the issue. Minority populations often (have to) make very strong statements in order to draw enough attention in order to be heard. Or did you really think that the third party presidential candidates ACTUALLY hoped to win? They are on the ballot so that when 3% of the population votes for them, the actual winner might go back to see what issues the candidate stood for that were so important to 3% of the population that they "threw their vote away". I'm guessing a similar mentality is in effect here. Russian protestants aren't dumb; they were able to survive and thrive underground during communism, and some wisdom is necessary for that.

As for the rest of this discussion, it's hard to give an opinion. I do see the value of defending the freedom of the press, but I would feel silly getting up in arms over the shows listed. There's no real rallying point, is there...
v1nx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind banning Ikki Tousen. But it's REALLY a pity that Happy Tree Friends were stopped airing.

As for the Protestants here in Russia - I think that they must look through the airing table of other channels and try to ban all those pedo-SM-freak-call them as you want-shows. Even evening news contain much more cruelty, death images etc...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2