• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime for Korean Winter Sonata TV Drama Hit Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

Bae Yong-Joon will be involved…from a certain point of view. The last remaining hurdle that Total Promotion had to overcome last year was getting permission to use Bae's likeness. The anime project will not only have permission to use Bae's likeness, but Bae's company Key East is footing part of the bill and producing it.

Haha, and now he'll be the voice too?

Although, I wasn't aware that he is fluent in Japanese.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I wouldn't say the drama was all that heavyhanded or cheesy by K-Drama standards. It's actually pretty low key for a K-Drama in my experience.

And I would disagree that it's badly made. It sported one of the higher budgets and the visuals looked better than the usual soap opera fare. It has a chance on being a good conversion with the right amount of K-drama style comedy and romance.

Neither by Japanese standards. Japanese women still go crazy over the program and him.

Zoe wrote:
Although, I wasn't aware that he is fluent in Japanese.

Neither was I. Unless they are going to give him voice lessons and then have him voice act with all the other people. I guess that means there's going to be an encyclopedia entry made of him also, if it hasn't been made already.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
I wouldn't say the drama was all that heavyhanded or cheesy by K-Drama standards. It's actually pretty low key for a K-Drama in my experience.

And I would disagree that it's badly made. It sported one of the higher budgets and the visuals looked better than the usual soap opera fare. It has a chance on being a good conversion with the right amount of K-drama style comedy and romance.

Neither by Japanese standards. Japanese women still go crazy over the program and him.

What does Japanese standards have anything to do with it?
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
I'm not fan of Korean dramas. Anyway I asked this Japanese lady why she likes Winter Sonata. She mentioned the actor is handsome and actresses wear beautiful outfits, but she emphasized the gravitas of storyline. I guess I understand why Japanese women digs Korean soap opera from reading various sources.
First, the story deals with sad and serious situation. Typical? Yes, but the story carried by this handsome actor who knows how to express his emotions well. Both verbal and physical. Yon Sama convincingly acts out his care to his dying girlfriend character. A big plus for Japanese women fans.

Second, the Yon Sama represents the ideal man that older Japanese women fans envision. In real life, husbands are too busy with their dedication to jobs or indifferent to their wives' needs. It's not about Yon Sama's looks. It's all about the character that he plays.

I don't know how anime version will play out. Some people may not like it. But I still want Winter Sonata to reach out to new audience. Is anime fandom only belongs young people? I hope not.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
What does Japanese standards have anything to do with it?

Looked at Yong's fanbase in Japan recently?
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
I don't think you can only pin it on Japanese popularity alone. Winter Sonata was popular in a bevy of nations and K-dramas are in a popular niche in recent years by foreign nations.

I also am not sure the anime version is necessarily riding on the 'fad' of K dramas and their popularity in itself. I think these types of dramas just attract anime conversions anyway.

I still disagree that the show is inferior simply because it's not in Japanese standards of production. K dramas never were about the production scale like their Japanese counterparts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2