• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Flavor of Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Oh, I agree. But it's not easy when you're paying for school and don't exactly have the extra money to spend for every freaking manga I want to read (which is a lot). Buying materials for my major costs just as much -- if not more -- than my tuition.

You could buy manga sparingly at conventions if you want to. That is what I prefer when it comes to them and music CDs. Smile

As for this week's Fairy Tail review, I agree with all points given. However, in terms of the manga's format:

spoiler[Yes, it is basically about the guild taking jobs. However, with each new job comes new revelations surrounding the guild or the main cast involved with it. You'll see soon in future volumes, especially a major guild war that will literally change the face of Fairy Tail. Wink ]

As for people here complaining about the high prices, it hasn't caused sales for high profile titles to decrease a single bit. Del Rey noted at the comic con that Fairy Tail sold very well. Smile A couple of extra dollars isn't that big of a deal.

By the way, how did they handle spoiler[KABY? Is it really spelled KABY in the official translation? Some fan translators wanted to translate KABY as "Kirby" but it wouldn't make sense in the book's official spelling. Oh yeah, nothing was altered from Kaby's appearance? He still looks like Adolf Hitler? Very Happy]
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
By the way, how did they handle spoiler[KABY? Is it really spelled KABY in the official translation? Some fan translators wanted to translate KABY as "Kirby" but it wouldn't make sense in the book's official spelling. Oh yeah, nothing was altered from Kaby's appearance? He still looks like Adolf Hitler? Very Happy]

Well, like you said, spoiler["Kaby" is the only way the anagram "Daybreak"/"Dear Kaby" in that story would make sense, so that's exactly how it's spelled in the Del Rey edition. Translator's note even says that Mashima provided a list of how he wanted all the characters' names spelled in English.

And yeah, freaky Hitler mustache on Kaby is freaky. Anime hyper]

(That kind reminds me though, I wonder how they did spoiler[the whole "I am Lord Voldemort" thing] in Harry Potter translations...)
Strephon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

(That kind reminds me though, I wonder how they did spoiler[the whole "I am Lord Voldemort" thing] in Harry Potter translations...)

The Wikipedia entry on "Harry Potter in translation" has a list of some examples. spoiler[It looks like they kept "Voldemort" intact and worked backwards to his real name; sometimes the middle name changes, sometimes the whole thing. In French it's apparently "Tom Elvis Jedusor," an anagram of "Je suis Voldemort," for example, and in Dutch, "Marten Asmodom Vilijn" ("Mijn naam is Voldemort").]
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the xxHOLIC review ;the filler parts except the early one with the warashi girls seeemed pointless and the crossover elements just seemed to slow down this volume.

It seems events just lightly brushed upon are going to be coming to the forefront.And DelRay is the best NA manga company keep up the good work.Can not wait till june for the next volume of xxxHOLIC.
skwid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The problem I'm having with Del Rey and Tsubasa/xxxHolic is that they're releasing them on more or less the same schedule. If you check the Japanese releases you get the order they should be read in, but that's not how they're being released in America. Even for readers of both the crossovers in xxxHolic 11 are confusing because the egg came from the travellers in Tsubasa. 11 should have been after Tsubasa 17.

So far as I can see xxxHolic 12 is the most recent volume in Japan, yet they are up to 21 of Tsubasa. Which means that when 12 comes out in June I'm going to have to hold on to it for a few more volumes of Tsubasa before I can read it.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Glad to see I'm not the only one enjoying Life. I'm a complete sucker for Japanese bullying stories, so this sucked me right in.

Which reminds me, I still need to finish watching the drama. If you thought the manga was cheesy....
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
BLU was supposed to be raising their prices too, but they said readers would get extra things like color inserts. Has anyone noticed if the higher prices have resulted in better books?
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Yeah, it's good from an economic viewpoint, but for me it means 6-month bouts of depression in between volumes of Sugar Sugar Rune and Shugo Chara Anime hyper dammit Del Rey I want my grade-school shoujo fix NAO! Here I am sitting through the double-volume launch of Fairy Tail, and it seems like there's a new Negima everytime I visit the bookstore, but the stuff I really want comes out freakin' slooooow.

Lol, I know what you mean. I mean, wouldn't it make more sense for the grade-school shoujo to come out a little quicker? I mean, seriously. I guess that Fairy Tail and Negima are more important than Shugo Chara and Kitchen Princess, in their standpoint.

And all of the manga I want ended, so I'm sort of like... "okay... Only until december 2130 until volume 7 of Sugar Sugar rune..."

But 'tis okay, because companies like Broccoli are publishing some good series. (Koi Kupid FTW. Palette of 12 Secret Colors FTWR! Two Flowers for the dragon, w00t~)
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
Lol, I know what you mean. I mean, wouldn't it make more sense for the grade-school shoujo to come out a little quicker? I mean, seriously. I guess that Fairy Tail and Negima are more important than Shugo Chara and Kitchen Princess, in their standpoint.

And all of the manga I want ended, so I'm sort of like... "okay... Only until december 2130 until volume 7 of Sugar Sugar rune..."

*shoots self*

Oh wait! I already reviewed Volume 7 Razz See, it's so long between releases I can't even remember which one is the latest.

And you're absolutely right that it's still a boy's action-adventure world in the manga business. So the stuff that's kinda girly and kinda different gets shafted. Sad Which sucks, because the spellcasting in Sugar Rune kicks the ass of of the spellcasting in Negima any day of the week.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Well, remember I said it was only for the M-rated series, so you probably won't be spending that much more. I'm not sure Tokyopop even has 10-15 M-rated titles currently running. Life and Suppli have been mentioned, and the only other one I can think of is NHK ...

NHK volume 7 & 8 are still listed at $9.99 on rightstuf. GTO: The Early Years and Battle Royale, two other mature series, are still going for the same price (12.99 and 24.99). Rose Hip Rose and Tokko both started at 10.99 for first volume. I would say only new series are getting the price jack but LIFE and Suppli aren't new. Blood Sucker also received the price jack, I can't think of any others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tarrin4ever

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
On the Fairy Tail review, were you inferring that Hiro Mashima was Eiichiro Oda's assistant? Because I don't think that rumor turned out to be true.
Battyfree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
tarrin4ever wrote:
On the Fairy Tail review, were you inferring that Hiro Mashima was Eiichiro Oda's assistant? Because I don't think that rumor turned out to be true.

Hiro was Oda's student,not assistant.
And yeah,it's true. Surprised
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I had read a synopse, that was in the back of a Fruits Basket volume, about Life back in '06, so I was a bit surprised when a work coleague of mine came to me out of the blue and asked if it would be a good "comic" to get for his 15-year-old "goth" daughter who was getting bullied at school because of her life style and reacting in a similar manner as the girl in the manga. I said an emphatic "yes, and be sure to read it before, or shortly after she does so you will know what she is experiencing as well and be able to discuss it with her.", knowing that he was completely ignorant of anything Japanese art, which made his enquiry even more strange. Apparently his partner had told him about "Life" from one of her friends with a teenage daughter who is into manga. I never told him I was into manga.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
NHK volume 7 & 8 are still listed at $9.99 on rightstuf. GTO: The Early Years and Battle Royale, two other mature series, are still going for the same price (12.99 and 24.99). Rose Hip Rose and Tokko both started at 10.99 for first volume. I would say only new series are getting the price jack but LIFE and Suppli aren't new. Blood Sucker also received the price jack, I can't think of any others.

That's really random, then.

Maybe they're doing it to the ones they don't expect to sell well?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail looks like a good buy since I'm a Mashima fan. I heard something very interesting about the main character, which is why I want to get it.

Btw, if I wanted to write a review for an anime that doesn't have one at all, could I?

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu May 01, 2008 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3