• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece DVD Season 1 Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I loved it. I'll admit that the cursing caught me by surprise, but it didn't sound awkward, as the other poster said.. they are pirates afterall.

The marathon feature is good, but I like catching the previews because on some series, they're just goofing off and not really previewing the next episode, you know? However, it seems like One Piece does the real previews, so I used it on the second disc.

After I finished watching it, I came looking for a listing to preorder the second volume.. apparently it's not been listed yet. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Monster in a box wrote:
My only issue with the dub (as someone who hasn't watched it subbed, granted) is that there's too much swearing at parts (episode 7...). It just feels unnatural.

In comparison to the Japanese script in that episode, it followed it in terms of dialogue and swearing. And they are pirates after all. Razz

That doesn't change the fact that, like it or not, One Piece IS a kid's show, and it very much shows a lot of the time. Swearing is fine. I have no issues with it whatsoever. Swearing like a pirate (haha, well they aren't exactly conventional pirates) makes the show seem less whimsical, but it doesn't really add anything to it. We get it, Buggy is a bastard. Say something else.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it there really isn't any such thing as 'swear words' in Japan, so they could've translated that dialogue a number of ways.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I am debating whether I want to buy this now or wait until more boxes come out. I think the price is fine but I wish they had released more episodes in a slightly more expensive box. The series is super long and still ongoing, collecting it all in 13 episode boxes is going to be a major pain.

Although that being said I don't think I will buy the whole series. I will probably just stick to the arcs I really enjoy but I least would like to buy all of the East Blue Saga.
Heredador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I am debating whether I want to buy this now or wait until more boxes come out. I think the price is fine but I wish they had released more episodes in a slightly more expensive box. The series is super long and still ongoing, collecting it all in 13 episode boxes is going to be a major pain.

Although that being said I don't think I will buy the whole series. I will probably just stick to the arcs I really enjoy but I least would like to buy all of the East Blue Saga.

Well, if you want collect the serie, and you want save money, rather than buy it you can use the great downloading.
However, if you are against of that, and you desire save time, you can buy the box.
Even this way, how someone has said, One Piece is quite extensive... Think about it!!
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Good review overall but One Piece never got better to me. I only watched the first ~130 episodes because everyone who recommended it to me told me to at least watch Alabasta Arc, since supposedly that's when it gets really good. It didn't and it actually got worse, the pacing was so horrible (worse than Naruto Shippuden IMHO) due to the all the flashbacks and recaps. The characters weren't too great either, I really have have no opinion of them (I don't like any of them but I don't hate any of them either). I don't hate the show though, it just doesn't work for me (I just don't like shonen in general though) but I can see why people love it so much. I do however hope that OP is successful for Funi but I think some of the damage caused 4Kids is irreversible...
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
braves wrote:

Monster in a box wrote:
My only issue with the dub (as someone who hasn't watched it subbed, granted) is that there's too much swearing at parts (episode 7...). It just feels unnatural.

In comparison to the Japanese script in that episode, it followed it in terms of dialogue and swearing. And they are pirates after all. Razz

That doesn't change the fact that, like it or not, One Piece IS a kid's show, and it very much shows a lot of the time. Swearing is fine. I have no issues with it whatsoever. Swearing like a pirate (haha, well they aren't exactly conventional pirates) makes the show seem less whimsical, but it doesn't really add anything to it. We get it, Buggy is a bastard. Say something else.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it there really isn't any such thing as 'swear words' in Japan, so they could've translated that dialogue a number of ways.

Oh yes, that was one of the things I was going to comment on but forgot.... Anime smile + sweatdrop

I don't know if it's that they just figure Toonami doesn't want these episodes since they've already got the 4kids version for that or what, meaning that they feel like they can just do whatever with that, but it's been one of the minor annoyances so far. It definitely feels very out of place, and quite honestly is not needed at all. I guess if Toonami were ever to air them it'd be a simple matter of editing the words with other words, but still.....

Also noting the marathon feature, I guess the majority here likes it, but as for me I actually find it kind of annoying. I love pretty much all the OPs I've seen so far and some of the EDs and I kind of find it a nuisance to have to go look for the specific episode I left off on every single time I start a new watching session up....... But really, yeah, it is indeed a matter of just getting off your lazy butt and pressing that skip button if you don't. Wink That and I don't like the typical Funimation disability to skip past the adds at the beginning of the disc as well as the fact that switching to Japanese with Subtitles you can't even do just by simply pressing the Audio button like you can most other box sets, but other than those few minor nuisances, it definitely is a great set. Very Happy
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
"It gets better later" has hardly ever been more true than in this case. Not that the opening episodes are bad, mind you, but it really feels like the show grows up tremendously once you hit the Arlong arc. I remember when I first began watching One Piece years ago, I was seriously considering dropping it, but then Arlong came along and I quickly realized I never would.
Heredador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Well, if you want collect the serie, and you want save money, rather than buy it you can use the great downloading.
However, if you are against of that, and you desire save time, you can buy the box.
Even this way, how someone has said, One Piece is quite extensive... Think about it!!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Heredador wrote:
the great downloading.

I've got a good question in regards to this, even though I'm against downloading and all (actually to be honest Im not bothered and do not care)

What are the subtitles like on this release? Are they fairly ordinary fare, or do they try to shoehorn Japanese suffixes and terms at every stop without considering how awkward it is?

So I have the choice between downloadable HK subs, raw DVDs, fansubs by people more concerned with OMG TEH FLASHIEST FONT AND ANIMATIONS FER SUBS than the actual show, Irritating "OH LUFFY-SAN BLAHBLAH CHAN", or a potty-mouthed dub which is guilty of the same things fansubbers can be capable of- trying to make what is obviously a show for younger people in to some kind of cool, edgy show with swearing because "OMG IF IT HAS BLOOD IT SHOULD JHAVE SwEAR YEAH HIGHFIVE LETS SKATEBOARD *sk8s*"

But either way this all comes roughly three years too late when I stopped caring.

Good job though for bringing it out though!
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
[That doesn't change the fact that, like it or not, One Piece IS a kid's show, and it very much shows a lot of the time. Swearing is fine. I have no issues with it whatsoever. Swearing like a pirate (haha, well they aren't exactly conventional pirates) makes the show seem less whimsical, but it doesn't really add anything to it. We get it, Buggy is a bastard. Say something else.

Yeah, it's a kids' show, but it looks like they wanted to aimed it at an older audience as it shows with the TV-14 rating on the box. But I have to disagree that with the swearing makes the show lose some of its charm, though.

BrothersElric wrote:
That and I don't like the typical Funimation disability to skip past the adds at the beginning of the disc...

If you press the "Title" button on your remote, then you can skip them.

Wyvern wrote:
Not that the opening episodes are bad, mind you, but it really feels like the show grows up tremendously once you hit the Arlong arc.

Hmm, it's strange how everybody says that they really got hooked on One Piece during the Arlong arc. Of course, I saw that there was a big improvement in that arc, but I felt that I got hooked when they reached the Grand Line. More specifically, the Whiskey Peak arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think this much amount of super special awesome-ness existed, until I bought this set. Would have loved it more if Funimation gave us 26 episodes (considering the shows length), but its' first release so yeah 13 episodes is fine.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
but it really feels like the show grows up tremendously once you hit the Arlong arc. I remember when I first began watching One Piece years ago, I was seriously considering dropping it, but then Arlong came along and I quickly realized I never would.

I was hooked with Nami's 'nads kick in the first 15 min. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
My only regret so far is that it dropped ten dollars the day after Amazon shipped it.

Hurry up and contact Amazon! I just got an Email back from them saying they're refunding me 13 dollars since they dropped the price within 30 Days

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/pay-and-gc.html
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
My only regret so far is that it dropped ten dollars the day after Amazon shipped it.

Hurry up and contact Amazon! I just got an Email back from them saying they're refunding me 13 dollars since they dropped the price within 30 Days

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/pay-and-gc.html

Thanks for that. I didn't even know Amazon had a "Post-Order Price Guarantee". Here are all the details for anyone else looking into this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=468502&qid=1212551306&sr=1-1#postorder
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
This could be the only series I collect and I would still be the happiest boy on the planet. LOVED this release and hope they hurry up and put out more. Also more of the movies would be fantastic. One Piece has become my "Happy Place".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3