• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach the Movie: Memories of Nobody

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elisian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I personally thought this movie was boring, and that Senna was a horribly bland "character" for lack of a better word. The fights were anti-climactic, and so was the story. I also stayed after the credits, and quite verbally stated "I hate this movie". I didn't even mean to say it out loud, but man I wanted my money back. *sigh* The best part was watching half the cast watch the movie from the side. Gerk! Last, but not least the thing at the beginning would have been enjoyable at the end of the movie, but they showed us half of the movie before it started. I think it would've made a great DVD extra, but it was a horrible movie prologue. Sad
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You should have heard the trash talk that the audience was thowing at the intro (Inteview and behind the scenes) that added extra minutes to the movie.Bleach fans don't STFU.Good god,some girl brought cherry aerosol and blasted the whole theater with it.This didn't stop me from watching the movie though.[/spoiler]

o_o that reminds me. I went to the NYC premiere. Glad that the creators didn't have to deal with that crap. I wonder if anyone else saw it.

Got a picture of Kon. Anime smile
atlanime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
I notice that in a lot of cinematic extensions of anime series(namely where its within the confines of the show and not just a remake, I.E.: Escaflowne or Utena)that the bulk of the story involves usually some totally original or at least up until then never before seen character who ends up commanding alot of the attention of the viewer as apposed to the main characters. This character is usually female, and its up to the main heroes of the regular series to protect her from some evil, more or less. This was used in movie versions of Bleach, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi, and a few others. Rarely is the movie about the regular cast of the TV series, its more or less just featuring them while highlighting the original character, who is usually never seen again in the series after the movie.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote
I personally found my special BLEACH movie night to be quite a pleasant experience. I thought there would be a lot of people, but there really weren't that many and they were very quiet and civil. That was a wonderful environment in which to watch the movie. And I loved watching Tite Kubo draw Ichigo! I always find myself mesmerized by watching other people draw -- especially when they draw as fast as he does! The behind-the-scenes extra was cool. It was fun to see inside of Viz. Everyone seemed like they were getting as much of a kick out of watching the extra as I was. It didn't ruin the movie for me or annoy me -- it just got me even more excited about watching the movie.

As for the movie itself, I think that a C is a good objective grade for the movie. My personal grade for it is more like a B. I was just reading that little Animerica pamphlet that you can get for free at Borders and it had a description that matched the feeling that I got from the movie -- that it was intimate, yet epic. The intimate part was really important to me. There was something about the part of the movie that dealt with Senna and Ichigo that I found quite touching. I didn't really care too much about the "bad guys" as I did about Senna and the concepts of spoiler[memory and energy ]surrounding her character. The "bad guys" in movies based on TV series always seem rather cardboard to me because their characters usually aren't very fleshed out so you don't really have too many feelings about them, and this movie was no exception, but Senna's character balanced everything out for me -- she felt pretty fleshed out to me for a movie-only character. I definitely found myself caring about what was going to happen to her. I must say that Troy Baker did a very good job voicing the type of villain he had to work with, though. He sounded so villainous and different from his Abel Nightroad.

The ending kind of annoyed me because it's the same old spoiler["you won't remember anything about that character because of blah, blah, blah, blah."] I suppose that's because it naturally upsets and irritates people to think that they could forget something so important for such a stupid reason. But the part after the credits made it a little better. However, I do agree that it's still bittersweet. And I loved that red ribbon. It was such a nice, simple symbol.

The fights entertained me too -- that's one thing about BLEACH that I've noticed, that the fights are more often than not entertaining. Long fights can often be quite boring to me, but not so with BLEACH. A big laugh moment came when Captain Kenpachi Zaraki and Yachiru spoiler[jumped down into the Valley of Screams]. That was a riot. Anybody who likes that strangely lovable, crazy fightaholic and his adorable lieutenant will enjoy that part. Even though I also noticed parts of the animation that were not so hot, that didn't really bother me. It was still very pretty and colorful and eye-catching. Something about the colors they used, particularly in the living world, stirred some deep feelings in me (especially the background colors). I loved the opening part with the golden-yellow gingko leaves, and the orange-red maple leaves that swirled around Senna. And the jokes about spoiler[Ichigo's often abandoned lifeless body and Ichigo talking to the Soul Reapers] were hilarious. And I liked the fact that they used a lot of the same sort of music from the show. It adds a certain level of continuity and it was awesome to hear it from theater speakers. And I liked the new music I heard very much -- especially the track with the violins, which I believe must have been Senna's theme. It makes me hope that Viz will have a deal with Best Buy like they did with the last two Inuyasha movies where they had the movie soundtrack packaged with the movies. Oh, yeah, one of my favorite images: spoiler[Ichigo staring at the small festival with the bright red pinwheels spinning in front of him as the camera pulls back -- I think that must have been a symbolic sign that something supernatural was going on.] I found this movie to be thoughtful enough that I intend on picking it up when I can after it comes out on DVD. Very Happy
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You should have heard the trash talk that the audience was thowing at the intro (Inteview and behind the scenes) that added extra minutes to the movie.Bleach fans don't STFU.Good god,some girl brought cherry aerosol and blasted the whole theater with it.This didn't stop me from watching the movie though.[/spoiler]

o_o that reminds me. I went to the NYC premiere. Glad that the creators didn't have to deal with that crap. I wonder if anyone else saw it.

I should have said Vegas BLEACH fans. Evil or Very Mad Drama followed.

tygerchickchibi,Did they monologue for a while or just overly thank the crowd?Also did they show bleach in one of the bigger theaters?The screen here was pretty small.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
Nice Very Happy .The situations they put Kon into are hilarious.I can't say much more than that.I've only seen like 30 episodes.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
No Sajin again? Oh fiddlesticks -_-;
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

I should have said Vegas BLEACH fans. Evil or Very Mad Drama followed.

tygerchickchibi,Did they monologue for a while or just overly thank the crowd?Also did they show bleach in one of the bigger theaters?The screen here was pretty small.

._. Well, I was there a little late. when I got in, I saw that there was a group picture of the fans with Kon. But unfortunately, I was too tiny to make it in. xD I wish I would be able to answer your question, though... I don't know what happened prior to me getting there.

I got a picture as Kon was leaving, and I snuck down and asked for an autograph from the creators. I know they're not famous, but they put work into the anime so I wanted it. Anime smile

I suppose I was the first person to ask for an autograph, because many people started coming down following me and a staff member told me that they couldn't do it. >.>;

...got it signed anyway. They were already looking for sharpies, mine was a little too sharp, ^^;

During the intro, fans seemed to appreciate the OP specials before the movie. I liked the in depth introduction to how Viz does their business, next to that, It was quite interesting to see who Renji's VA was. Like a movie goer said next to me, he looked like he was trapped in the 80's. xD He definitely looks like a funny guy.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Nice Very Happy .The situations they put Kon into are hilarious.I can't say much more than that.I've only seen like 30 episodes.

You reminded me of something. After the movie, they had reps from TV Tokyo interviewing some members of the audience. They plan to air it in Japan sometime next month, I believe. I could be wrong on the official date, though.

Seems that I was only able to do 2 photos, I hope it's alright.

Kon

Bleach-ness.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
As flawed as the movie was, I was just happy to be watching it on the big screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2