• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Koji Yamamoto, Ryo Ohyama, and George Wada on Guilty Crown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I will give this show credit for being VERY NICE LOOKING but this should be a parody of code geass (unlike the failed sacred seven show) because at this point they have exchanged louche for shinji. I am shocked this show is on noitamina. it has so much wish fulfillment, poor logic, and fan service in that my anime club wants to do an abridged version of it. this show is so unoriginal that it falls into the so bad it's good category at best.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone watched this on Nico Nico with the scrolling comments on? I'd imagine you can get more mileage out of this by doing this. Laughing
redranger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Why would this fool mention Code Geass? Seriously, learn some tact. I'm glad the producers didn't outright agree with this dipstick at least. Thank god the interview ended there. Great anime by the way!!

Last edited by redranger on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Has anyone watched this on Nico Nico with the scrolling comments on? I'd imagine you can get more mileage out of this by doing this. Laughing

OMG I NEED TO DO THIS WITH MY ANIME CLUB
vinamara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention Shu's mother, who I thought was probably his sister at first, just walks around the house in her lingerie. Yup, kids hitting their puberty definitely think with their you-know-what and would love to see a married woman who's supposedly a mother strutting in her house in unmentionables.

They've practically ignored the female audience entirely by showing ludicrous fanservice. There's such a thing as going overboard to say nothing of the non-existent poor excuse for a plot.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
Quote:
When I watched the first episode of the show I immediately went online to see what the fan reaction was, and there was a huge amount of comparison to Code Geass. The shows share a writer, but my question is: going forward with Guilty Crown, how you plan on differentiating yourselves from Geass to the fans?

All: Where are you seeing this?

I bursted out lol'ing at this xD. It's true though. I can't really see any relation with code geass.

i don't see any Code Geass in this show too. Maybe i'm not that smart, I just don't see the connection that people are making.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
1945113 wrote:
Quote:
When I watched the first episode of the show I immediately went online to see what the fan reaction was, and there was a huge amount of comparison to Code Geass. The shows share a writer, but my question is: going forward with Guilty Crown, how you plan on differentiating yourselves from Geass to the fans?

All: Where are you seeing this?

I bursted out lol'ing at this xD. It's true though. I can't really see any relation with code geass.

i don't see any Code Geass in this show too. Maybe i'm not that smart, I just don't see the connection that people are making.

everyone at club after seeing the first two episodes was commenting on how it was like a combination of Code geass and Evangalion, a few people also mentioned how they also took stuff from utena.
kazume

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
This show is Code Geass-Lite

Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves.

What Code Geass managed to accomplish in 1-2 episodes... heck just the first episode (actually hook the majority of the audience), Guilty Crown Failed to do so untill about 4-5 episodes in, and even then it's still not as good of a hook as Code Geass.

And yeah, someone mentioned it already but I'll do it again

GC...

CG...

O-o?

Even the names are similar, just write the initials and reflect them on a friggin mirror and there you go. SO what if the interviewer had to "go there" and mention the comparison to COde Geass by a majority of the fanbase. God forbid we offended them by doing so, but if anyone needs to know that their show is falling under "same crap, not-so-different-flavor territory" it's these people BEFORE more of this "originality" for the supposed second season that they have locked down once this one is over. Might as well salvage half the show since they probably have their storyline set for the first season by now.

... and yes, in case you're all wondering, in spite of all the bad, I still watch it since the episode where the MC got owned by "He told me to say those things" was utterly priceless Anime hyper

Gai half shirtless leading her into his room, and seeing his face crack again RIGHT afterward too, oh yeah, break him more Anime hyper

We all know he's gonna be a bonafide bada$$ by the end of the show since there can only be one "Shinji" but it sure is fun to see how far they break him before he becomes the hero of the show Razz
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
NEXT
GENERATION
OF
ANIME
You heard it here first, folks.
This show is the future of Japanese animation. Enjoy it before every other show tries to emulate it by... um... having a really substantial budget?
Yeah, I can't do this. This show is damn near Sacred Seven 2.0: State of the Union: Get Da Paper.
The only difference is that these guys traded consistency and character motivations for even more Anime-trope-print-monopoly-money, and a spoonful of that Yamato Damashii that somehow took the form of "make sure everyone not on team Japan is as lame and incompetent as possible"
m0x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
I don't know where people are getting the similarities between Code Geass and Guilty Crown. Sure there are some similarities, but not enough to garner so much attention.

Rather, I see so much more similarities between Guilty Crown and Eureka Seven...

- Male lead (Shu and Renton)
- Female lead (Inori and Eureka)
- Alpha male (Gai and Holland)
- Rebel group (Undertakers and Gekkostate)
- The "chosen" one, passive and mysterious girl, Earth or Japan not as we know it, peculiar historical phenomenon, and so forth.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
While this show has its problems I haven't really noticed anything that should compare it to Code Geass. Could someone tell me what they see here that makes them compare the two?

Quote:
What Code Geass managed to accomplish in 1-2 episodes... heck just the first episode (actually hook the majority of the audience), Guilty Crown Failed to do so untill about 4-5 episodes in, and even then it's still not as good of a hook as Code Geass.

I could probably count on my hand the number of shows that managed to hook me in the way Geass did.
lelliel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
m0x wrote:
I don't know where people are getting the similarities between Code Geass and Guilty Crown.

Code Geass and Guilty Crown share writers, that's why.
Cecilrosa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
The main comparison between Code Geass (besides the staff) would be the structure of the first episode specifically. The main difference of course catering to a younger audience and having a weak-willed protagonist. As someone already pointed out, as a show it seems to have more in common with Eureka Seven (which the writer also worked on) than Code Geass but when you only watch the first episode (like many people did) you see a ton of similarities (seriously Power of Kings and Power of the King, Ichirō Ōkouchi you could have at least tried to use a different name...).

My honest opinion is that the supporting cast isn't strong enough to make up for having such a weak willed protagonist (for example no Yoko and Kamina to Simon). I also find the mech designs hideous and the character designs to be meh, but that's just my taste.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
lelliel wrote:

Code Geass and Guilty Crown share writers, that's why.

Cecilrosa wrote:
As someone already pointed out, as a show it seems to have more in common with Eureka Seven (which the writer also worked on) than Code Geass but when you only watch the first episode (like many people did) you see a ton of similarities (seriously Power of Kings and Power of the King, Ichirō Ōkouchi you could have at least tried to use a different name...).

I believe it's worth pointing out Ichiro Okouchi isn't even the main writer of Guilty Crown, that would be Hiroyuki Yoshino. Both of them worked on Code Geass, yes, but their roles and positions of responsibility have been reversed here.

Consider this: Of the seven episodes of Guilty Crown that have been broadcast so far, six have scripts written by Yoshino. How many Code Geass scripts did he directly write? A grand total of three, overall, although he also gets more nebulous credit as an assistant to Okouchi.

Right now, the situation is the exact opposite of that and Okouchi, who has only written one episodic script for the current show, is serving as an assistant to Yoshino. Which I believe helps explain why, despite certain obvious similarities, the result comes across as something different and without the same sort of emphasis, for better or for worse. The main writer is running the show, not his assistant. Likewise, the change in directors is also important and has evidently had its own consequences.
blackseer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Cecilrosa wrote:
The main comparison between Code Geass (besides the staff) would be the structure of the first episode specifically. The main difference of course catering to a younger audience and having a weak-willed protagonist. As someone already pointed out, as a show it seems to have more in common with Eureka Seven (which the writer also worked on) than Code Geass but when you only watch the first episode (like many people did) you see a ton of similarities (seriously Power of Kings and Power of the King, Ichirō Ōkouchi you could have at least tried to use a different name...).

There is also the overall structure of the first few episodes. The second shows the tactical ability of one of the main characters, the third is a crisis in school and the fourth episode is a prison escape.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4