• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prosecutor Asks for 1.5-Year Term for Anime File-Sharer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aninhumer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Sending the file to somebody else to upload .... kinda sounds like uploading to me.

It is, but a single encrypted transfer would be practically impossible to trace, as opposed to actually distributing something.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. a year and a half in prison, I don't know if I agree with that. I personally feel some kind of probation would be better. I don't know if Japan law is like the US, where in some points that the sentence is lessened due to good behavior or something of the sort.

Not that I care if he's in prison, though. At least it's not too long.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
If I'm going to do an AMV, i'll just ask artists I know will let me use the song. I've gotten permission before to use songs.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yueh: Part of the problem is that anime fans might be using some of their songs and/or videos as AMVs, so they could be sued, too. Plus, if given the power, they could theoretically sue you, just for watching info-tainment clips from The Daily Show.

I've only recently (end of April) gotten something other than dial-up. YouTube is unviewable on dialup unless one has the patience of job & 5 hrs to allow a 5 minute clip to load.

If the people associated with the Daily Show put up the clip, you aren't going to get sued because they're treating it as advertising. They've secured all the rights involved just as when one clicks those video links on the various main pages like Yahoo or MSN.

Realistically as much as one might think Terminal Wad's latest hit "Die because You're All Idiots" might make a stupendous music video with clips from Death Note, unless you secure the rights to all of it(Death Note clips & the song), one better keep it to oneself & not show it off to the world. One's close personal friends who can view it on your computer.
It's the same thing I tell the lollicons at sites I hang out at-if you download that stuff, go straight to a flash drive or something. The experts can scour your computer & find all sorts of stuff to fry your ass if they choose.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yueh: The thing is those clips are usually Tivo'ed, and the person who mixes those songs with the AMV might own the original CDs; and even fan sites for the Simpsons and Buffy have gotten shut down, due to use of images and sound clips.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
There are murder cases out there and the best the Japanese police can do is lock up pirates? This is laughable at best, sad at the worst. Having a Gundam fan locked up will make me feel a WHOLE lot safer.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
The people prosecuting pirates and the people trying murder cases are likely not the same. Heck, the police are likely hardly even involved in the piracy cases aside from maybe bringing them in. Investigators who would be working murder cases aren't going to be involved in piracy cases, so it's a non-factor, nice try though.

Obviously they see it as a big issue, and they have access to more information than a bias fanboy does, so something tells me your obviously bias defensive comment isn't going to bother them in the least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
The murder rate in Japan is very low. Anime is an industry over there and its getting economically destroyed. This may sound harsh, but the economy being destroyed is way worse than one or two homicides that probably have enough evidence that a rookie cop could open and close the case in a day.
hogkill3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
This is stupid. If it weren't for fansubs I wouldnt be buying any DVDs. I've spent over 4 grand on DVDs for shows that I already have on my computer.

Stupid BS like this is gonna be the death of anime in North America. I'm not going to pay for a show that I might not like, I dont agree with reviews half the time and I hate english voice actors.

There is no way for me to know what to buy if I can't download it first. The only people more sickening than those who don't buy any of the shows they watch are the people supporting this anti-piracy crap.

Mark my words people. You will regret these actions down the road.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:
This is stupid. If it weren't for fansubs I wouldnt be buying any DVDs. I've spent over 4 grand on DVDs for shows that I already have on my computer.

Stupid BS like this is gonna be the death of anime in North America. I'm not going to pay for a show that I might not like, I don't agree with reviews half the time and I hate english voice actors.

There is no way for me to know what to buy if I can't download it first. The only people more sickening than those who don't buy any of the shows they watch are the people supporting this anti-piracy crap.

Mark my words people. You will regret these actions down the road.

Yes, because entertainment didn't take off until we had piracy. Rolling Eyes
Mikuru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Let's all bow down to capitalism shall we?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:
There is no way for me to know what to buy if I can't download it first.

Well, depending on where you live, you can almost always rent a show from an online DVD rental site like Netflix or RentAnime. Before I started watching fansubs, I would rent singles from Netflix the first time I watched a series, then decide whether I would buy once I had seen the entire series.

(I still rent the official R1 releases, BTW. It's just that now I usually have already watched a fansubbed version of a show and made up my mind as to whether or not I entend to buy it)
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:
Too bad most people don't do what you are doing. If they did, the Industry wouldn't care about fansubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2