• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter From The Encyclopedist [2008-07-31]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weils

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
I think this is a good idea. I can see what errors I may have made from other people's error reports. I can in turn write my feedback for any errors fixed or found no errors whatsoever.

However, I'm not sure if it's due to screen resolution or due to the new encyclopedia error tools implemented, but when I access episode lists with titles that are too long, it will display something like this example below.

Taken from MÄR (TV) episode list.

2005- 20. Gate of training returns! We`ll teach you how
08-14 to fight!!
第20話 「修練の門再び!ケンカのやり方教えま
す!!」
Shuuren no mon futatabi! Kenka no yarikata oshie
masu!!

Any idea if this can be fixed?[/img]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I just discovered one amusing feature of the upgrade. I have my preferences set to "Also display [grey "i" icon] for other items", and in the Gantz manga entry there is a separate line under "Official website:" with only that icon on it (source: http://www.gantz.com.au/ ). I presume this is because the submitted item was hidden as no longer accurate—but this new upgrade reveals its existence.

Nope. The submitter sent both the name AND the URL of the site as "http://www.gantz.com.au/" and the system couldn't display it properly (I have no idea why). I've corrected the problem and now the site is visible.

Edit: Yet, it is for the anime, so I have to mark it as "false." Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nihon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I think this will be very useful to people interested in making sure everything is correct. Thanks!
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Can the encyclopedia handle multiple people with the same name yet?

Osamu KOBAYASHI is a prime example, where we have 3 different people's credits combined as one entry.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
NagaseTohru wrote:
That's why I don't feel like submitting data. You spend all that time looking up info from sources and watching the Japanese credits from DVDs you own and then someone comes along after you and petitions to insert wrong info because they're uninformed or confusing two anime with similar names.

That's the lovely part about having one's own database. I can do all the effort I like on researching credits and nobody can undo my hard work. So if someone messes up my data here, it's only the effort of submitting it to ANN that's lost. Razz
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
NagaseTohru wrote:
That's why I don't feel like submitting data. You spend all that time looking up info from sources and watching the Japanese credits from DVDs you own and then someone comes along after you and petitions to insert wrong info because they're uninformed or confusing two anime with similar names.

I've had data I submitted changed three times to the wrong info by confused people. It's frustrating. It's not info that is easily confirmable by website either so that makes it doubly difficult to change it back to being correct. After a couple times of going back and forth like that I just gave up.

What is your specific example? ANN is not like wikipedia; "confused" people cannot simply change the info you submitted, they have to submit an error report and that has to go through an Encyclopedia editor, and they don't usually change info on a whim. So my guess is that either
1) you didn't provide a suitable source
2) you think your info is correct but it's actually not
3) you stumbled on one of those annoying cases where the wrong info has spread so much that it displaced the truth Sad

In the last case I'd suggest you talk to us directly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
While on the subject I sort of have a question about an entry that I made, but was hesistent to make a thread about. What does it mean when an entry is in cyan? I think it means that that information isn't available to the public, but I am not sure which is why I am asking.

Yes, cyan means exactly that: the information is not available to the public.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I have a question.
Sometimes people forget to ad the * or ** to a leading seiyu's name. So sometimes the star of the whole show is listed in 27th place and such. Should I mark that as an error?

I don't particularly like the idea of littering the place with "this is one of the main characters" error reports, but at the moment that is the only way. Please remember that there should only be one or two "main characters"; the other important characters are "secondary".
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
I remembered Moomintroll's complaint and found a very debatable finished audit. Now that we can see the results of audits, how can we ask for an "appeal process"? How do we object to the outcome of an audit and who would handle it? Should we just post a new thread for each individual title on the Encyclopedia section of the forum?

I'm going to have to think about this one. I wouldn't consider Akira to be a horror anime, but 27 out of 42 people (64%) did. So if we do an appeal, who is supposed to be the judge? Looks like we have two choices
1) genres are subjective so whatever the majority decides is pretty much the most objective conclusion we can get (live by the decision of audits even if I think the result is nuts)
2) screw the majority, it's my encyc so it'll say whatever *I* want (disregard audits, back to square one)

Neither option appeals terribly to me, Sad
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Can the encyclopedia handle multiple people with the same name yet?

Osamu KOBAYASHI is a prime example, where we have 3 different people's credits combined as one entry.

The Encyclopedia has been able to handle that for quite some time. We just need people to *tell* us when they notice multiple people with the same name. And then there's the matter of figuring out which part of the merged credits belongs to who; that can be trouble sometimes.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Looks like we have two choices
1) genres are subjective so whatever the majority decides is pretty much the most objective conclusion we can get (live by the decision of audits even if I think the result is nuts)
2) screw the majority, it's my encyc so it'll say whatever *I* want (disregard audits, back to square one)

Neither option appeals terribly to me, Sad

If perhaps you had a committee of people whose judgment you trust on this sort of thing, you could settle appeals by casting a vote between them. Of course, actually assembling such a committee could be tricky... For instance, on what criteria would you base it? Or would you handpick each member?
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem of the audit system is to regard the decision of the majority as immutable "truth". Every other piece of data in the encyclopedia can be reported again and again by users for editors to check. Why should audits receive special treatment? 42 persons participated on that audit. 42 out of 6235 who have seen in part or whole. 42 out of 3504 of those who rated it.

If the concern is with majority, why not let audits go on forever? Let each user who claims to have seen it partially or as a whole free to cast a vote. Instead of working with the 12 vote difference, implement a percentage system. As long as genre or theme X holds over Y percentage of votes, it will remain visible. If it's controversial and the difference is low, leave it in limbo (not visible) until one of them reach the Y percentage. I'm suggesting an "excluding" system because I prefer no data as opposed to questionable data.

I was countered with a good argument on another thread in regard to majority view and fandom, but in this specific case I do believe that this suggestion preserves the original intent of the audits: to free the editors from a bit of the murderous amount of data they must check on a regular basis. A never concluding election of genres and themes seems like a lesser of several possible evils and we wouldn't have to go back to square one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2