• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Giving Tree

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the thinpak conversion thing? I mean, why willingly mutilate your DVD art for the sake of a lil' room? Maybe it's just becuase I'm an artbox junkie, I don't know...

Same here. I'm more interested in preserving the pretty than preserving the space. Smile
archaron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the thinpak conversion thing? I mean, why willingly mutilate your DVD art for the sake of a lil' room? Maybe it's just becuase I'm an artbox junkie, I don't know...

Same here. I'm more interested in preserving the pretty than preserving the space. Smile

While it might be nice to have all that extra space, I could never get rid of my artboxes. Collecting the artboxes is half the fun for me.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
Ooh...

Lots of anime <3

Also, I spy a Band of Brothers case in there Very Happy
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I could never imagine converting my collection to thinpack, even though space is a very real concern for me (small college apartments are not conductive to lots of stuff). I mean, they don't print those covers to fit in thinpacks... so the spins are too big to fit the thinpack size... so some of it must now be on the sides. Plus I would think you would have to trim some of the edges then... mutilation! But as long as the collection is for their own personal enjoyment, more power to 'em.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
To confess, I actually almost turned it off after the first minute, because the intro was really freaking annoying. The first thing we hear is Vic Migogna reading the damned FBI Warning in a series of voices. I wanted to bail out right then and there, because I thought it would be one of those “woooooaaaaah, we're whacky voice actors!!!” shows, but after that brief moment, the rest of it is fairly interesting.

What's up with all the Vic Mignogna hate around this community?? Every time I turn around it's "bash Vic time". I happen to like Vic, thank you very much. I think he's a fine voice actor and very entertaining to listen to.

It wasn't Vic hate. It was just hatred of that segment. It could've been Crispin Freeman or Greg Ayres doing waaaaacky voices for the FBI Warning and I would've hated it just as much.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
To confess, I actually almost turned it off after the first minute, because the intro was really freaking annoying. The first thing we hear is Vic Migogna reading the damned FBI Warning in a series of voices. I wanted to bail out right then and there, because I thought it would be one of those “woooooaaaaah, we're whacky voice actors!!!” shows, but after that brief moment, the rest of it is fairly interesting.

What's up with all the Vic Mignogna hate around this community?? Every time I turn around it's "bash Vic time". I happen to like Vic, thank you very much. I think he's a fine voice actor and very entertaining to listen to.

I've noticed that too, and felt the same way. I've also heard people offline make similar comments about him, and I guess I don't get it. He's done great work and is clearly very talented.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's real classy, Funimation!

I like boxed sets. When one volume of a multi-DVD set is available with box to keep the whole series in, that's the one I go for, as I store my boxed sets differently from how I store individual DVDs, and the boxes often look nice.

I originally watched Shuffle in fansubs, so when it came out on DVD I decided to buy the DVDs. So when I saw that volume 6 was available with storage box, I pre-ordered it.
Then I found out about the whole panties thing, and immediately cancelled my pre-order for volume 6 with box, and ordered the plain volume 6 instead. That's merchandise I can do without, thank you very much!

Maybe that's a good one for a future Answerman - what's the weirdest tie-in merchandise you can think of?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:

I like boxed sets. When one volume of a multi-DVD set is available with box to keep the whole series in, that's the one I go for, as I store my boxed sets differently from how I store individual DVDs, and the boxes often look nice.

I originally watched Shuffle in fansubs, so when it came out on DVD I decided to buy the DVDs. So when I saw that volume 6 was available with storage box, I pre-ordered it.
Then I found out about the whole panties thing, and immediately cancelled my pre-order for volume 6 with box, and ordered the plain volume 6 instead. That's merchandise I can do without, thank you very much!

Maybe that's a good one for a future Answerman - what's the weirdest tie-in merchandise you can think of?

Well from what I now understand, the panties were not exactly their own decision. People actually voted for it, but of course that's what others wanted. I'd have probably just thrown them out if I were in your position, but as for me, I don't really have a problem just having the singles and no box.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:

I definitely agree with this. I just can't (or don't want to) see myself taking this boxset up for purchase and then encountering one of my students working the register, as sometimes happens. The worst part of it is the darn things have "GOD" printed in bold right across the front. Why would they seriously think we want this?

The tie-in for Najica Blitz Tactics made a bit more sense as the entire show seemed to operate at a rate of 10 pf/min (panty flashes per minute), and I'm not sure that's an exaggeration. But even then it was still pretty weird.

DuelLadyS wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the thinpak conversion thing? I mean, why willingly mutilate your DVD art for the sake of a lil' room? Maybe it's just because I'm an artbox junkie, I don't know...

I'm pretty much an artbox junkie myself. Mainly what goes into thinpaks are movies, OVAs, and series that either never had boxset releases or did not sell the box separately after I had already bought the discs. Also, if I bought one of the boxsets that came in the flimsier boxes, such as the original Slayers boxset, I converted those to thinpaks as well. I don't actually lose much (if any) of the art at all in doing so. You cut off maybe 5 mm on each side, and most of that is blank border.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Yeah, I could never imagine converting my collection to thinpack, even though space is a very real concern for me (small college apartments are not conductive to lots of stuff). I mean, they don't print those covers to fit in thinpacks... so the spins are too big to fit the thinpack size... so some of it must now be on the sides. Plus I would think you would have to trim some of the edges then... mutilation! But as long as the collection is for their own personal enjoyment, more power to 'em.

I thinpak some of my DVDs, but not ones where the cover art is notable in some way (such as a reversible liner), and so tend to do it to my Hollywood movies more than my anime. (I also don't do it with series where I own the art box, because what's the point?) On the other hand, I will do it with a title with a bare-bones case design (such as Fight! Iczer-One or Assemble Insert) or a four-volume series where the cover art isn't too significant and I can put it into dual-disc cases, meaning I can fit four volumes in the space of one (such as Hellsing TV or Serial Experiments Lain).

The technique I use is to trim along one edge of the spine (usually the back), then wrap it around the edge of the back panel. Yes, you don't see the entire title, but that's not that big a deal, and it means that trimming the edges isn't necessary.
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow... that's a lot of DVDs. If I wanted to have that many, I have to get a loan and actually want that many. I have a lot of series I like, but not that many. But from what I see from those DVDs, I have Case Closed, Bleach, and Naussica. From the books, I have Claymore and Air Gear. Man, with such a collection, you think he/she would have many more similarties.

I would of bought that Shuffle Box End, but I didn't since I don't want those panties. First of all, I'm not a girl so I couldn't wear them. Secondly, since I am guy, what the heck could I possibly do with them besides throwing them. So, I just went for the regular DVD, too bad. I acutally would have paid money for a Box for once.

While I'm on the subject of Shuffle, I'm a bit little bugged about the Perishable label on it. This DVD isn't Shelf Worthy material for most people (To me it is, but that's not the point), but I don't think it was Perishable. If you want to see something really perishable, Blue Dragon is a good choice (No offense to people who like it, I just don't). I'm not saying the reviewer is wrong or anything, this show is for sure a bit strange and it is his/her opinion which can I respect, but I just can't agree one hundred precent with it.

Interesting enough, even though Shelf Life gave Shuffle Vol. 6 a Perishable mark, Mania website said it was the Pick of the Week. Talk about a big difference on opinions. That's enough talk from me about Shuffle, it is time for me to move on and wait for Shelf Life's thoughts' on Ghost Hunt and Claymore later.

Last note, I want to check out the Adventures in Voice Acting, but I don't know what store might carry it. Would Best Buy have something like that?!
Crystal Hoser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Those panties crack me up. Is there a reason they say "GOD"?

Although I guess the greater question is: do any girls watch Shuffle, and if so do they plan to wear them? (And if the boys do, please, don't tell us about it!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
There are only two reasons why I don't get an artbox when one is available: if it is outright ugly (Hellooooo Utawarerumono!), or if it is overpriced in comparison to similar artboxes. The Shuffle! artbox is priced the same as every other Funimation artbox, with or without an extra. So what difference does it make what kind of extra comes with it? If you don't want it, toss it.

Crystal Hoser wrote:
Those panties crack me up. Is there a reason they say "GOD"?

Yes, there is. Click on the link below. Also if anyone has not already guessed this by now, the link is to a picture of an anime girl wearing panties. If you are situated where having a picture of an anime girl's panties pop up on your monitor might result in undesired consequences, or if such a picture would be offensive to you for some reason, please do not click on the link.

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=godpantsugx6.jpg

The girl in the picture is Sia. spoiler[It's her body anyway, but someone else is at the controls right now.] She's the Princess of Shinkai, aka the "Gods". And those are Sia's panties. However, whether or not Nerine has a pair of panties with "DEVIL" printed on them remains a mystery.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Crystal Hoser wrote:

Although I guess the greater question is: do any girls watch Shuffle, and if so do they plan to wear them? (And if the boys do, please, don't tell us about it!)

I'm a Shuffle!-watching girl. In answer to your second question, no, because they're not prefered style of underwear (and they probably wouldn't fit.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Dop.L wrote:

I definitely agree with this. I just can't (or don't want to) see myself taking this boxset up for purchase and then encountering one of my students working the register, as sometimes happens. The worst part of it is the darn things have "GOD" printed in bold right across the front. Why would they seriously think we want this?

The tie-in for Najica Blitz Tactics made a bit more sense as the entire show seemed to operate at a rate of 10 pf/min (panty flashes per minute), and I'm not sure that's an exaggeration. But even then it was still pretty weird.

DuelLadyS wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the thinpak conversion thing? I mean, why willingly mutilate your DVD art for the sake of a lil' room? Maybe it's just because I'm an artbox junkie, I don't know...

I'm pretty much an artbox junkie myself. Mainly what goes into thinpaks are movies, OVAs, and series that either never had boxset releases or did not sell the box separately after I had already bought the discs. Also, if I bought one of the boxsets that came in the flimsier boxes, such as the original Slayers boxset, I converted those to thinpaks as well. I don't actually lose much (if any) of the art at all in doing so. You cut off maybe 5 mm on each side, and most of that is blank border.

They think people want it because that's what people voted for on AoD. Granted, I'm with you that it'd be very weird buying it, but there is always online ordering if you really want the artbox without any potential embarrassment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3