• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm deeply disturbed by "Monster"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
This is how you criticize a series.

Agreed. HellKorn didn't receive something special from me without a reason. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TJM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Urasawa is too redundant. This applies to both the constant use of suspense and unchanged panels.

This is all that needs to be said about this mangaka. The extreme suspense becomes stale rather quickly. This is the sole reason I've dropped every single one of Urasawa Naoki's works.

Now if his stories and characters were mind-numbingly interesting, maybe then, the laughable amount of "suspense" would be warranted.

And, incidentally, that is the only respectable point that person made. The rest, stale, like Urasawa's plots or a liberal/arts degree Laughing
uzumaki_hero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
oh man come on it's strong drama I think u like fighting if it's
please i recommending u be away from kind of this manga
but i really like this kind of story
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
uzumaki_hero wrote:
oh man come on it's strong drama I think u like fighting if it's

You like fighting too, don't you?

Read HellKorn's and my two posts (in this thread) first. Please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
uzumaki_hero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You like fighting too, don't you?

of course i do but fighting with strong story Smile Smile
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
pedopeto:

Monster is one of those series where in your case,if you have to ask questions about what going on,you are not going to enjoy it.Even with a question like"why is it popular" ? I don't mean to insult you or anything,but you will enjoy it (or not) after you've had more life experience.Adult's (Seinen),are who this was written for.Monster doesn't compare well with Shonen (boy) fantasy like Naruto.(Although,I wish the Naruto manga was adapted to anime,as well as the Monster manga was adapted to the anime.Monster kept to the source,when Naruto went for filler.)

Monster is a suspense thriller.Tenma is not an action star,and that's what makes it so exciting.The guy starts as a push over and a wimp,and later goes on through self defense training to become more handy with a firearm. Though it does have short bursts of action,that's not what it's about at all.It's Tenma growing older and wiser through out the manga and attempting to fix the mistake that he went out on a limb for in the first place.His kindness created a Monster (not a spoiler)

If we have to explain spoiler[ why Tenma is on the run,why he ran from Dusseldorf,what it was like in the eighties Laughing ,why Johan is a threat,why Inspector Runge is utterly obsessed with Tenma.what Nihilism is,what crossdressing is,what it's used for in the series,Kinderheim 511 Orphanage misuse (sometimes a reality),what the pain of loss or loss of family is or feels like,why Eva's personallity changes after all that time or why Tenma can't stop pursuing Johan.Like,no matter how hard you try to go out of your way to help someone or something,but it ends up spiraling out of your control anyway,to the point where you have to drop everything you are doing to fix it,But you might not get everything you had back,at the time when you dropped everything you were doing to help that person.]

Monster is kind of like that,and would be kind of hard for you to follow the story without knowing or paying attention to some of these things.

I enjoyed the series and I'm glad is getting the somewhat recognition that it deserves.The art direction in Monster is excellent,what the hell were you guys talking about?

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
TJM wrote:
And, incidentally, that is the only respectable point that person made. The rest, stale, like Urasawa's plots or a liberal/arts degree Laughing

Oh, hey, clichéd flame bait by a troll -- how original.

dormcat wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
This is how you criticize a series.

Agreed. HellKorn didn't receive something special from me without a reason. Wink

Ah, so it wasn't just my fanatacism for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Inio Asano!

Oh, and by the way:

pedopeto wrote:
Johan (stupid name)

Johan is one of the most common German names. It's akin to John, Giovanni, Juan, etc. in other languages.

@Shadowrun20XX: Could you PLEASE put spaces between your sentences? And not put inconsequential things in spoiler tags? And not have your paragraphs resemble large blocks of text?

Also, to answer your last question, read dormcat's second post in this thread.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I enjoy all the side characters. Compared to other anime I've watched and what few manga I've read, Urasawa does a great job developing them in such a short amount of time and creating a subsequent amount of empathy from me.

True, a lot of them didn't have a whole lot of relevance to the overall plot, but I can appreciate that sort of writing in a series like this (big Mushishi fan, remember?). It's what makes Monster so different from a majority of other titles I've experienced. I do not find it redundant because again, I haven't really seen it done elsewhere, or at least done adequately in comparison.

This same concept applies to my preference in RPGs. Gensou Suikoden (the first two) will always remain my favorite all-time RPGs due to the sheer amount of characters. While 108 individuals may seem staggering in thought, the games actually put just enough quirkiness and/or backstory to make them all feel attachable. I suppose I just have a thing for multi-character stories.

Concerning the issue of redundancy, I also view the suspense as being more sporadic than redundant. I've always thought of Monster as a title about characters first and story second. But when the story kicks in, it's a highly entertaining mystery/thriller illustrating various points of morality, life lessons, and of course the occasional outlandish plot of Johan succeeding The Third Reich. For me, it has enough of everything, and I enjoy it.

I can't really pertain to manga panels, though, as I've only read about half of it in bits and pieces. And as I've mentioned throughout the Anime forums, I'm much more of an anime person anyway, so I'm not going to comment on the panels thing. Then again, I also saw the anime first before ever reading the manga, which is probably why I didn't notice.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
@Shadowrun20XX: Could you PLEASE put spaces between your sentences? And not put inconsequential things in spoiler tags? And not have your paragraphs resemble large blocks of text?
I love large blocks of text and random spoiler tags. Laughing You go cross eyed while reading it?

There you go buddy,I edited for ya.
TJM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
pedopeto wrote:
What the **** is "Monster" doing there in first place of the top manga list!?
What the...
I remember starting this series a year back. I had heard it was a good series and that the writer can create good suspense, and I went at it with an open mind. It completely failed to impress me; I found it completely generic and boring. When Johan (stupid name) appeared, I remember I thought I had misunderstood the series. I thought that this is some kind of parody or experimental work. But no, I went to check and confirmed that it was supposed to be some kind of thriller. What a laugh! Where's the suspense. Miss Marple TV shows have more suspense than this series, and that old granny is a lot more interesting than any character in the manga.
People are saying that this manga is somehow "adult" or whatever...excuse me? What did I miss? I found it as silly as let's say Naruto.
Though I admit that I only read 4 volumes, but I just didn't feel like buying more, because it was completely unimpressive.

Now, I can understand people liking series that I don't like or prefer, but Monster is a complete joke and this is one of those times when I think that I actually read something wholly different than what all the others read.

Gotta give it to ya. That whole Johan thing had me rolling for a good 10 minutes (can't believe I missed it the first time) and then some. Johan IS a silly name, it's what I've been telling the Germans for almost two decades now!

HellKorn wrote:
TJM wrote:

Oh, hey, clichéd flame bait by a troll -- how original.

Troll callout eh, that's even more original of you ol'chap.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I enjoy all the side characters. Compared to other anime I've watched and what few manga I've read, Urasawa does a great job developing them in such a short amount of time and creating a subsequent amount of empathy from me.

He does, but it still feels as if the characters are mere cogs in a complex machine. They were designed to fulfill a certain role. They play to part and play it well, but that is all they do. Monster is very story-driven and some people prefer character-driven stories.

Quote:
True, a lot of them didn't have a whole lot of relevance to the overall plot, but I can appreciate that sort of writing in a series like this (big Mushishi fan, remember?). It's what makes Monster so different from a majority of other titles I've experienced. I do not find it redundant because again, I haven't really seen it done elsewhere, or at least done adequately in comparison.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. If we only have a bit something, the bit we do have tends to be overrated. It's the best we got and for that reason we forgive its flaws more easily.

Quote:
This same concept applies to my preference in RPGs. Gensou Suikoden (the first two) will always remain my favorite all-time RPGs due to the sheer amount of characters. While 108 individuals may seem staggering in thought, the games actually put just enough quirkiness and/or backstory to make them all feel attachable. I suppose I just have a thing for multi-character stories.

I was wondering... Do you read Hoshin Engi? The character design may not be to your liking, but it's a fun adaption of a classic epic story.

Quote:
Concerning the issue of redundancy, I also view the suspense as being more sporadic than redundant. I've always thought of Monster as a title about characters first and story second. But when the story kicks in, it's a highly entertaining mystery/thriller illustrating various points of morality, life lessons, and of course the occasional outlandish plot of Johan succeeding The Third Reich. For me, it has enough of everything, and I enjoy it.

I disagree. It often feels like Urasawa Naoki wanted to make a certain point, teach us a certain lesson and had the characters act accordingly, inserting new characters where needed. It was a while ago I read the first few volumes (in which it is especially noticible), so I don't remember enough details to give you a proper example, but if I reread them I will. What I can say is that is was very annoying to see Tenma teach us about ethics and values while performing brainsurgery in some backwater town. It feels too forced. I like the series, but if you ask what I dislike about it, that is my answer.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
I was wondering... Do you read Hoshin Engi? The character design may not be to your liking, but it's a fun adaption of a classic epic story.

Heard a few things about it, but haven't read the manga or seen the anime yet. I'll put it on my "things to research" list and look it up later.

Tamaria wrote:
I disagree. It often feels like Urasawa Naoki wanted to make a certain point, teach us a certain lesson and had the characters act accordingly, inserting new characters where needed.

That's the point I'm shooting for, the fact that he's trying to illustrate an allegory for whatever morals people think they can interpret. However, I feel the characters take precedence over the story because, like you said, Urasawa tries to make a point and teach us things, but I feel it's through the characters, as opposed to "with them on the side." It just so happens that these characters also serve varying degrees of purpose within the story.

Then again, it depends on the origin of Urasawa writing this title. Off the topic of Monster for a moment and in to the world of a writer, would you create characters or a story first? Based on that, you'd then proceed to build the latter around the former, right? I am not a writing scholar or anything of the sort, by the way, so I'm asking this as an ignorant and curious reader.

If Urasawa made the story first, then you're right. He made the characters up as he went along, inserting new ones here and there. But how can you make a story without first having the idea for certain character concepts in your head? Maybe he already had some kind of faint ideas for Tenma, Nina, and Johan but needed a central story as a medium to express them?

Tamaria wrote:
What I can say is that is was very annoying to see Tenma teach us about ethics and values while performing brainsurgery in some backwater town. It feels too forced. I like the series, but if you ask what I dislike about it, that is my answer.

Forced in what way? Again, compared to some of the more extremely outlandish anime/manga I've seen, having a guy perform brain surgery in a run-down, backwater, immigrant bloc teaching something in the process is a lot more palpable than say.. a federation of planets holding a tournament with giant robots fighting each other to determine military and political rule for the next few years.

Is it the realism or lack thereof that you aren't believing in? Because I honestly will take anything serious in anime/manga so long as it flows with the overall continuity. Tenma helping out the Vietnamese girl, Johan manipulating the Schuwalds, or Mr. Grimmer and his "Magnificent Steiner" thing are relatively tame as opposed to a Behelit, Gundams, Shinigami, and State Alchemists.

When I first saw Monster, I thought it was such a refreshing breath of great characters and great storytelling. I'd not experienced much of anything else prior to that in anime at the time aside from a whole lot of shounen and a few over-the-top seinen/shoujo titles. Never had I then experienced something as dark and gritty, yet down-to-earth as what Urasawa had constructed. And to this day, it still resonates with me.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
That's the point I'm shooting for, the fact that he's trying to illustrate an allegory for whatever morals people think they can interpret. However, I feel the characters take precedence over the story because, like you said, Urasawa tries to make a point and teach us things, but I feel it's through the characters, as opposed to "with them on the side." It just so happens that these characters also serve varying degrees of purpose within the story.

Then again, it depends on the origin of Urasawa writing this title. Off the topic of Monster for a moment and in to the world of a writer, would you create characters or a story first? Based on that, you'd then proceed to build the latter around the former, right? I am not a writing scholar or anything of the sort, by the way, so I'm asking this as an ignorant and curious reader.

It depends on the author and what he or she is trying to achieve. There are very character driven pieces. In that case the character fully materialize before the story has a beginning, middle and end. These kinds of stories focus on the growth of the characters. This method is very common in shoujo manga and if you read the mangaka's notes they often say something like: "blabla-kun just wouldn't cooperate this chapter! I wanted him to make a different decision, but this may be better. I wonder where the story will go next." The story is build around the characters.

The creative process used for Monster is probably the exact opposite. The story took shape first, it was decided what characters were needed for said story and then characters were designed to fit the roles.

Manga with character-driven stories often meander, they go on and on and may never reach a real climax or conclusion. Story driven manga, on the other hand, often have characters that feel flat and unappealing.

Both are extremes and I think story and characters should be balanced. We often read stories because we find the characters interesting, we want to learn more about them. If the characters are only there to serve the story, that appeal is nonexistant and that can make reading the story a rather dry experience.

Quote:
If Urasawa made the story first, then you're right. He made the characters up as he went along, inserting new ones here and there. But how can you make a story without first having the idea for certain character concepts in your head? Maybe he already had some kind of faint ideas for Tenma, Nina, and Johan but needed a central story as a medium to express them?

I don't think that is the case. Tenma and Nina both play too many roles. You may say they are deep characters, but they seem to switch faces too easily.

I think Urasawa's idea began with an age-old question of ethics. Two patients of unequal standing are brought into the hospital, there is only one doctor available, who should he save? Do all lives have the same value? The next question is, what if the wrong person is saved? What if that person turns out to be a criminal? What if...

Quote:
Forced in what way? Again, compared to some of the more extremely outlandish anime/manga I've seen, having a guy perform brain surgery in a run-down, backwater, immigrant bloc teaching something in the process is a lot more palpable than say.. a federation of planets holding a tournament with giant robots fighting each other to determine military and political rule for the next few years.

Suspense of disbelief. If the manga can convince us robot wars are a logical way of solving intergalactic conflicts, the mangaka is doing a good job. Making a story that is set in a world that is very close to our own, for instance Germany in the nineties, is often more difficult because the reader can't be tricked that easily into believing the events that occur are realistic. Urasawa's endless stream of extreme situations is not helping the story. Monster would be more powerful if he left some subplots out.

Quote:
Is it the realism or lack thereof that you aren't believing in? Because I honestly will take anything serious in anime/manga so long as it flows with the overall continuity. Tenma helping out the Vietnamese girl, Johan manipulating the Schuwalds, or Mr. Grimmer and his "Magnificent Steiner" thing are relatively tame as opposed to a Behelit, Gundams, Shinigami, and State Alchemists.

I want to believe, but Monster gives me a hard time sometimes.

Quote:
When I first saw Monster, I thought it was such a refreshing breath of great characters and great storytelling. I'd not experienced much of anything else prior to that in anime at the time aside from a whole lot of shounen and a few over-the-top seinen/shoujo titles. Never had I then experienced something as dark and gritty, yet down-to-earth as what Urasawa had constructed. And to this day, it still resonates with me.

That's the nature of firsts and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's a good thing stories can be valuable in more than one way. The one thing we shouldn't do is assume personal values are absolute. Not that I think you're like that, this is a good discussion Smile
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
TJM wrote:
Troll callout eh, that's even more original of you ol'chap.

Yeah, you've done a great job of brushing off that assertion, particularly after being called out by abunai and by tempest.

Tony K. wrote:
Compared to other anime I've watched and what few manga I've read, Urasawa does a great job developing them in such a short amount of time and creating a subsequent amount of empathy from me.

There are so many series that you have not seen/read, then! I would be more than willing to recommend some.

Quote:
True, a lot of them didn't have a whole lot of relevance to the overall plot, but I can appreciate that sort of writing in a series like this (big Mushishi fan, remember?).

Except Mushi-shi does not have an on-going plot. It's purely episodic, sans some recurring characters (Adashino, and Tanyu in the manga). Plus, within the stories the characters actually contribute to the narrative, be it for the story or thematically.

Quote:
I do not find it redundant because again, I haven't really seen it done elsewhere, or at least done adequately in comparison.

While one could argue redundancy for the characters built up primarily for melodramatic, optimistic monologues, that's not my criticism against them. It's as I just stated: they're put in contrived positions to work out a morality play that screams the message at the top of its lungs.

Quote:

Except those examples you cite are fantasy. Monster does not try to be a fantasy; it tries to be a realistic drama.

Like I state above, those sub-plots feel like contrived situations for Urasawa to extoll the virtues of life with a megaphone right up to your hear, padding out the story longer than it needs to be. Removing a fair amount of the side characters and applying a few tweaks would easily allow for a more thorough plot.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I love large blocks of text and random spoiler tags. Laughing You go cross eyed while reading it?

No, but if you want something that others can read and comprehend, it's best to avoid them. If you don't want to type like that, then why post on a forum?

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I don't mean to insult you or anything,but you will enjoy it (or not) after you've had more life experience.

I've never understood these type of arguments (unless they're clearly made for something like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or Only Yesterday; even then, I love them as a teenger). Monster may be targetted for young men, but it's still a mystery/suspense thriller at its heart. Anyone who find excitement reading convoluted plots can enjoy those.

Quote:
The art direction in Monster is excellent,what the hell were you guys talking about?

dormcast wasn't just referring to the character designs.

All this in mind, I still like Monster a lot in spite of its faults. But I just don't see it worth the praise it receives (especially considering it's number one in the ANN manga rankings).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much to add to this (surprisingly) inflammatory debates except a slight defense for Monster's use of come-and-go "exposition men" and quick changes of setting and focus.

Unlike, I don't know, Death Note or something, Monster is not an exaggerated thriller. On the contrary, I went into it expecting it to be much more grandiose than it is, especially with the gothic, echoey music of the anime and the thick (again, Death Note-ish) two-tone effect in the manga's spreads. Whereas in Death Note, you might have a few extraneous characters or events, like, you can count them on one hand, and the plot suffers because of it, Monster can have dozens and people don't seem to mind. Why? Realism.

Monster attempts to tell a shocking story in a pretty down-to-earth fashion. We feel as if we're viewing, not an over-the-top showdown between good and evil and a battle of wits, but something that could (almost) really happen, and may not happen the way we think "fits together" or "progresses logically." So it's okay if Tenma takes dead ends that lead him nowhere or has to talk to too many people who may or may not show up again to get a tweak of info. A real investigation might be like that, and we're just as elated or let down as he is at each little step. It's not for everybody, but it's an engrossing approach. (Notice that Death Note and Monster's art styles also reflect their approach to reality, not only their story construction. One's epic, one's commonplace.)

To compare the anime to films, Death Note is more like Se7en, while Monster takes an unorthodox approach like the "true story" of Zodiac. (I thought both films were exemplary, but a bit flawed for opposing reasons. Se7en was too archetypally convenient, and Zodiac was too anticlimactic and rambling.)

I can, however, criticize the story's use of platitudes and spare scenes used to embellish Tenma's integrity. People just talk too much when nothing needs to be said to make the point...but I lurves Monster. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6