• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams 1st 3 Darker Than Black TV Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
awesome idea, but why three? i mean it ends in a cliffhanger.

That's how you make people want to buy the DVDs. Marketing 101, buddy boy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
this sounds promising, I'll have to check it out. This is good advertising for the show, I think.

FUNimation's site has always been unnecessarily obtuse -.-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
erod24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
will it still have the Pizza Hut placement for the US DVD or change it like Code Geass
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I've avoided all the hype from the show just like I did for Gurren Lagann, in the hopes that I could look at it neutrally once it was license-released. I just watched the first two episodes.

From the top of episode one, you could color me very unimpressed. I didn't the beginning was too snazzy, I didn't like the OP, and I heard Jason Liebricht as the lead. Liebricht's only good role was Alphonse Heiderich, and I think it was just a good match, because he's managed to make every other thing he's played tragically boring. I was disappointed with the pedigree of BONES and Kanno, and figured this would be about as middling for me as Gurren Lagann was.

And then...I don't know what happened, but I really like this show! Very Happy It just picked up very quickly, and I can honestly say that I've never seen anything quite like this before. It's not amazingly new and original, no, but it has a very assured and unique style, great pacing, and even though I don't get a THING about the plot so far... (Why do the contractors kill people, for whom? Are they born like that, with powers? What is the relationship between dolls and contractors? Why are they building a sky-wall? Talking kitty-cat?)

...despite all the questions, it doesn't really matter. I understood exactly what I needed to about what was going on in the episodes, what the characters were all about, and I really liked the subtlety of it all. In fact, the biggest flaw in the slaw was Chiaki's endless expositionary prattle that I HATE to hear in anime, or anything, really. (And in the end, maybe it's okay because spoiler[she dies, so we needed to just learn everything about her in a chunk.])

And the dub is fantastic. Still not wowwed with Liebricht, but my respect for Colleen Clinkenbeard as an actress has continued to shoot through the roof.

I don't know, I'm fascinated. I've never seen a show like this before, and I can't quite pin down what it is, but maybe it's just very assured storytelling: a tight, well-written narrative with good production values. You can take any old cliche action fantasy idea and make it good if you handle it well. Can't wait to see more! Very Happy
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy with Darker Than Black so far. I'll pick this up when it comes out on DVD, more than likely. It does have a certain "cool," though not as strongly as similar shows. However, the plot is interesting and seems to be somewhat carefully plotted so I'll be sticking with this one. The music isn't quite as good overall as I had hoped but its good enough. abingdon boys school is awfully popular, as I recall, so its cool to hear from them too (while I do like TM Revolution, this is my first encounter with abingdon boys school).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2