• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Errata: Freedom BD's Suggested Retail Price is US$139.99

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd like confirmation on those audio tracks, because if the dub is available in TrueHD 5.1, then I'm going to buy it. Unfortunately, I can't even find a listing for the blu-ray on the official website. I've emailed their customer support to find out for sure; if they get back to me, I'll post their response.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Actually, it's got a dub, but it's only 2.0; if they had made it lossless 5.1, I might have picked it up for that $80.

Does it REALLY matter whether it's 2.0 or 5.1? As long as you can hear the audio, that's all that should matter.

Upon seeing info on this box set in the encyclopedia, I wonder if Bandai's also going to do a regular DVD box for Freedom as well, seeing as how I don't have a Blu-Ray player. (I'm waiting for whatever bugs there are to get fixed and the prices to drop)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
krownklown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
thats a ridiculous especially since the show is 6 freaking episodes
the most i have ever paid is like 45 bucks for 25 episodes
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't pay $140 for a 26 episode boxset, blu-ray or not.

I'd pay for it, if it guaranteed that the music issues wouldn't be a problem. (*cough* WKRP *cough*)

Ahah, I hear you on that one.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Not many would buy FLCL for $139 even on blu-ray and I doubt many would buy this for that much. Sure it's on blu-ray but IMO it wasn't even that good I mean let's face it people no matter how pretty it was it still wasn't much more than a really long ramen commercial right?

Blu-ray+ bandai already high prices = $139? I Can't imagine if haruhi had a blu-ray version.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
krownklown wrote:

7 episodes and one of the 2 ways to actually see the end of the series. The other is to wait for the DVD release by Bandai Ent.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
krownklown wrote:

7 episodes and one of the 2 ways to actually see the end of the series. The other is to wait for the DVD release by Bandai Ent.

Are they going to release it that way soon?

They might have to if they want to make a profit.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
"Thank you for contacting Bandai Entertainment and you're interest in the FREEDOM Blu-ray Disc BOX.

The three language tracks (Japanese, English, and French) available for the main feature are presented in Dolby TrueHD 5.1.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us again. We thank you again for contacting Bandai Entertainment and your interest in the FREEDOM Blu-ray Disc BOX.

Sincerely,
Bandai Entertainment"

Ordered. Smile
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
krownklown wrote:

Are they going to release it that way soon?

They might have to if they want to make a profit.

They prob have no problems making a profit on this one as vol 5 of this one in HD DVD combo format is already sold out at a wholesale level and the only way for the others now to see it would be to upgrade to Blu-ray or downgrade to DVD. The gamers and people who have already traded off their HD DVD players are prob upgrading to the Blu-ray version.

DVD version has not been solicited yet.

You just have to preorder it to get the lowest possible price.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
I know that people complained about BD version of Freedom from Bandai Entertainment. To me, this sounds no different when people complained about DVD prices from now-defunct Bandai Visual USA. Now here's something that most people don't bother to consider:

Has anyone bother to check where your DVDs came from?

Most DVDs sold in US are Made in Mexico. Where else? It's too good to be true to expect U.S. made DVD in $10-$20 range. That is why DVD's are cheap because of low manufacturing cost and mass quantity.

I think the reason why certain Bandai titles are expensive than most anime titles is that they designed, printed, and packaged in Japan. Just looking at the Freedom BD Box design, I'm positive that it's made in Japan. No domestic anime distributor would come up with such package design that looks aesthetically pleasing.

Anything directly made in Japan is expensive, just as anything directly made in US. Not to mention the BD is relatively new media format and the BD-box is likely a limited quantity edition.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

The three language tracks (Japanese, English, and French) available for the main feature are presented in Dolby TrueHD 5.1.

Nice! I usually wouldn't double dip but probably will buy this release as well considering that I canceled my HDDVD volume 6 and volume 7 was never released. $140 seems like such a deal compared to the single volume releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2