• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-10-29

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the guru is thinks is American because the version that most of us here in the continental U.S. have seen actually has an American voice acted dub.

Current versions (or some sort of deluxe version) of the dvd let you choose American or the Australian for the dialogue. (Listening to it in the original Australian is trippy, cool, but trippy.)
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
You mean Americans don't understand Australian English? Surprised The makers of that DVD must have a rather low opinion of y'all.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
You mean Americans don't understand Australian English? Surprised The makers of that DVD must have a rather low opinion of y'all.

At the time the movie was released in the US(in 1980), they didn't know how American audiences would take the original Australian voices, so they dubbed it with American voices, which was stupid, IMO.

So, it's not because Americans are too stupid to understand Australian English.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Not just stupid but one of the most annoying things I've ever seen in my life (I saw it in its original U.S. release at a drive-in, when I was a teenager). IMO there is nothing more annoying than to watch a film dubbed from English into English. It was quite obvious what had been done, since anyone paying any attention noticed the lack of lip sync and/or could read the lips of the people and notice they were speaking English but had been dubbed.

The sad thing is that the Australia dub was not available until it came out on DVD in 2003 or so. So for 20 years you couldn't hear the movie with the original dub if you lived in the U.S. and were a movie buff with the equpment/friends/resources to run down a copy of the movie from another country Evil or Very Mad .
animem@ster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
the guy is like frickin' mad! lol!
Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

At the time the movie was released in the US(in 1980), they didn't know how American audiences would take the original Australian voices, so they dubbed it with American voices, which was stupid, IMO.

So, it's not because Americans are too stupid to understand Australian English.
They should've released the original Australian track with subtitles so Americans could've understood it, instead of butchering it to make it acceptable for young audiences. American dubbing never could've captured the greatness of the original actors, and they totally glossed over the Australian cultural complexities. But then again, they would've used those ugly yellow DVD subtitles and Americanized all the Australian puns and titles of respect. If only there could've been some kind of fan-translated subtitled version of Mad Max Mr. Green
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Action Guru would do if he found out that not only have I never seen Mad Max, I didn't know it had sequels until I read this thread.

Wait, nevermind- I think it would be like a couple weeks ago when my boyfriend found out my familiarity with Monty Python was only a couple of the movies, and none of the TV series. I've seen about half of the entirety of Monty Python's Flying Circus in the last 2 weeks... Confused Laughing
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
kaizen-dono wrote:
OK that settles it this guy is obviously one of these people who's seen nothing aside from HnK thinks that its the "ultimate manly action experience" and anyone who disagrees with him is a little girl.

Indeed. He's a man who thinks the objective, honest truth.

Though considering Fallout 3 just came out, it saddens me to see this many people in this thread unaware of the identity of the person in charge of running Barter Town.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Though considering Fallout 3 just came out, it saddens me to see this many people in this thread unaware of the identity of the person in charge of running Barter Town.

Master Blaster?
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
If this was animated Patrick Seitz would be the perfect voice for Action Guru (using his Captain Bravo voice from Buso Renkin), either him or Richard Epcar using his President Takahashi voice from Lucky Star, but definitely Patrick Seitz, I could totally picture Captain Bravo saying the Mad Max line.

I don't know why but whenever I imagine Nina's voice, it winds up being Monica Rial using her Hazuki voice from Moon Phase, especially when she was laughing at Action Guru, which strangely enough it fits perfectly!!

Anyway this strip was epic!!
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
leatherman: The second film's Road Warrior. The first film's still Mad Max.

Gah. Mad Max, Mad Max II.

Or I'll start talking about Cardcaptors and Ursula's Kiss and Tales of Northridge High.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
GATSU wrote:
leatherman: The second film's Road Warrior. The first film's still Mad Max.

Gah. Mad Max, Mad Max II.

Or I'll start talking about Cardcaptors and Ursula's Kiss and Tales of Northridge High.

Otherwise known as Cardcaptor Sakura, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and KareKano
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
And don't forget Robotech (which ≠ SDF Macross).
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
And don't forget Robotech (which ≠ SDF Macross).

Oh, god don't even remind me of Robotech it was a piece of crap, Macross and Southern Cross by themselves were awesome
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
Oh, god don't even remind me of Robotech it was a piece of crap, Macross and Southern Cross by themselves were awesome

Don't forget Mospeada.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4