• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winter is Coming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Shame you skipped over some other stuff this season, like Squid Girl and Working'!!, the latter of which always had me on the floor laughing.

But aren't both of those shows are sequels? Other than Fate/Zero (which is technically a prequel), everything on The Stream was new.

Quote:
At the end of the day, Un-Go is probably one of those series best hand-waved away with a dismissive, “You should just read the books. They're better.” comment.

I really wouldn't mind if Un-Go was a light novel. I dropped the series because I couldn't tell what the story wanted to be: a supernatural mystery or some sort of social commentary? Many interesting ideas but nothing fantastic.

I look forward to The Stream for Winter 2012!!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
But aren't both of those shows are sequels? Other than Fate/Zero (which is technically a prequel), everything on The Stream was new.

True, but it was never said that sequels were disqualified from coverage. They were streamed so that should make them fair game.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed this column and I hope you keep it going, Bamboo.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you re Ungo for 1 season only. I liked the show OK but it was a bit of a stretch to totally understand. Songs are great though. Liked them so much I even bought the CD straight out of Japan not too long ago.

Yes! Total agreement re your picks for first and second ranked anime late 2011.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Phi Brain, hit it and quit it (don't do it just stab it, once.....get a Rakan sized sword).
I'm tired of that YYYUUUGGGIIOOHHHHH!!! armlet, jealous tsundere Nonoha, the armlet, Nonoha, the armlet and Nonoha, that bitch and the ?th millennium item and no little to no explanation on how half the puzzles work or how to solve them.
I can't go any further with Working unless I get to hit Inami or see Taneshima and Yamada in almost non existent swimsuits.
Gulity Crown=pure fail, watch only episodes 5,7 and 8.
I have ignored my plan to watch Fate Zero dubbed because it's so great.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The shows I will continue to follow are Chihayafuru, Fate/Zero, and Future Diary.

Chihayafuru is definitely my #1 for this season. I love the small look we got into her family and that her sister maybe just as clueless at times as Chihaya but maybe just as driven. I don't think Fate/Zero is spectacular (at least not at this point), but its a darn solid piece of entertainment. Future Diary has some problems, but I'm hoping it will smooth out plus I love Yuno (but no I wouldn't want her as a girlfriend). Most of the other shows on the list I dropped because they irritated me in some form or fashion (too much fan-service, coma inducing characters, I'd rather be playing the game, etc.).
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
If you were reduced to a blubbering mess in the twelfth episode of Chihayafuru then episode 13 will kill you cause you'll be bleeding bloody tears.

Just watched episode thirteen and I gotta say that it was amazing. We finally get some backstory and a female version of Arata appears who's simply ravishing. I must admit I almost did cry in this episode.

Kimi to Boku ended on a high note and I am hoping for a review for the latter half of the season. I just cannot wait for the second season. This show totally won my heart.

Agree with F/Z that they should've at least given us the satisfaction of slaughtering Caster before the season ended but regardless I enjoyed it.

Un-Go was a disappointment despite the potential it had. If it ran for two cours, I'm sure it would've been great, but it didn't and ended in a half-assed way.

Totally agree with Persona 4's episode 12 which was a complete godawful mess.

I'm pretty close to kicking Guilty Crown and Mirai Nikki out the window cause they're getting on my nerves. I can only stand whiny emo protags for so long.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
tsunayakuin wrote:
I have ignored my plan to watch Fate Zero dubbed because it's so great.

Fate/Zero was never going to get a dub so that plan would have ended in failure anyways Laughing
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Future Diary has turned into pure rubbish. I've taken the liberty of looking at the manga and folks, the novelty is about to wear off. Especially, especially the so-called reboots. The less said about it, the better. BD, I don't know why you haven't dropped it or relegated it to last place.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

True, but it was never said that sequels were disqualified from coverage. They were streamed so that should make them fair game.

I never watched Squid Girl and Working, which is why I didn't feel justified reviewing the sequels. However, in the future, sequels of shows that I've seen will be in the column.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

I never watched Squid Girl and Working, which is why I didn't feel justified reviewing the sequels. However, in the future, sequels of shows that I've seen will be in the column.

Ah. I think Squid Girl season 2 you probably could have have still done anyways, though I suppose some of the running gags would be unfamiliar to you, so your decision does makes sense.

Unfortunately, 3 out of 5 of crunchyroll's currently announced new anime simulcasts are sequels: The Prince of Tennis 2, Natsume Yujin-cho, and Nisemonogatari. I'm not sure if you've seen Prince of Tennis or Natsume Yujin's earlier seasons, but I know you won't have seen Bakemonogatari, since it hasn't been given an official English release yet and you don't use fansubs. That kind of sucks as Nisemonogatari is one of the new series I am really curious about.

Oh well, there's still the preview guide plus checking it out myself, but I would have been interested to hear your views on it.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
When Chihaya realized for the first time that her parents took pride in her karuta accomplishments, I bawled like a toddler.

Oh good, I wasn't the only one.

Chihayafuru is going on my top 10 Most Wanted licenses EASILY. Although I don't really have all that high of hopes since the subject is so odd. However, maybe Nozomi will get it; they have excellent taste in their licenses. That would be absolutely wonderful.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
What's sad is that Chihayafuru has bombed in Japan. The sales aren't just weak, they're practically non-existent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is no justice in this world.
tojik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Any Megami Tensei fans care to chime in on Persona 4? I think they're using the game's elemental magic mechanics, but is that making the battles too hard to follow? Are the pyrotechnics and Shoji Meguro music not enough to sell them? There are also pacing issues, but my overall impression is that they have a plan and they're executing it well enough for this to end up really good.

I'll add to the chorus of praise for Chihayafuru. Karuta being interesting is a tough sell, but the characters, art design, and poetry are all beautiful.

My personal favorite of the season was Working'!!, which picked up the "brighten any day" mantle from Nichijou.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
What's sad is that Chihayafuru has bombed in Japan. The sales aren't just weak, they're practically non-existent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is no justice in this world.

Maybe that'll make the Japanese production team super-eager to have it licensed in America??

Also, and I know you may not know yet because it's just starting up and this is the huge burdensome project that ANN does every season (though bless you for it!) but is there a set start-date on the preview guide yet? I'm assuming "in a day or two" is the best answer you can give right now, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5