• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo Warns China's Youku Site to Take Down Anime Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Having the right to take action and the ability to take action are two different things. TV Tokyo could get every court in the world to side with them and say China must take those videos down, but China will just thumb their nose at everyone and refuse. What's TV Tokyo gonna do? There's no way they can make China pay if China doesn't want to.

The issue isn't even about a lawsuit, as of yet. It hasn't escalated to that point. However, Japan does, in fact, have both the right and ability to fully protect their property. The content is gonna be removed. Now, who's to say it won't be re-uploaded in a mirrored, cropped-out with banners and images version, like YouTube?

Plus, that's like saying a, normally, law-abiding citizen probably won't go threw the check-out line, to pay for their groceries, because they technically don't have to do so.

They'll just risk humiliation, jail time, bonds, court fees, and possible fines.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm very disappointed TV Tokyo seems to take one step forward and replaces the progress with two steps back.

Nothing reported in the story indicates any steps back, so perhaps you are projecting.

Quote:
I sure would like to know why those in the industry are having such a difficult time adapting to the internet market. In what world does TV Tokyo believe it will have control over its works hosted on a server outside of Japan?

Complete control of every server in a country outside of Japan? They give no indication of attempting to do that. However, someone who is receiving money from legit streaming will, of course, take action against a source of bootlegs that becomes popular enough to make taking action worthwhile.

Quote:
It's a shame, too, because if any company out there would have solid proof it's not bad, it would be this one considering how successful Crunchyroll has been for them.

Crunchyroll has only been beneficial to them since Crunchyroll abandoned bootlegs.

Quote:
Basic Internet Rule 101: To compete with piracy, give people what the pirates do.

Basic Internet Rule 102: You can't eliminate freeloading altogether, but if you don't do some prudent gardening, your best market spaces will become overgrown with weeds.

Quote:
It's 2012 and so far, not a single legitimate streaming site can even touch what piracy sites can do.

I haven't looked at any leech streaming sites in about a year. When I last looked, there was not one that could touch Crunchyroll for quality. And of course torrent downloads suffer from the whole pain in the derriere element of any download.

Last edited by agila61 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

It's 2012 and so far, not a single legitimate streaming site can even touch what piracy sites can do.

So I assume that sometime between when I last viewed a fansub (July 2010) and now, some fansub site has arisen that puts out their shows each week on a definite schedule, so that I can log in at a specific time each week and find the show ready to go?

Yeah, I thought not, since these leach sites are dependent on fansubbers that don't have to abide by any schedule that someone else might attempt to set.

I can remember that if a show didn't prove to be that popular, one could suddenly find themselves waiting a week or even two for a episode.

Then there was the problem of inconsistent video quality because the uploader wasn't always the same person, and perhaps didn't do as good a job as the last person.

Then there was the occasional missing episode because the third party site hosting the video had been served with a DMCA notice for that episode, and no second source was available.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The horror of no copyright laws from china:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rE8EFR-Trs
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

So I assume that sometime between when I last viewed a fansub (July 2010) and now, some fansub site has arisen that puts out their shows each week on a definite schedule, so that I can log in at a specific time each week and find the show ready to go?

Yup, there are plenty but we can't say since of course it isn't allowed here. Of course, you probably live in bliss believing in the quality of the subs you get from CR, but it has been shown quite convincingly that the translation are far worse than 90% of the fansubs. Of course, if you can not wait, then there is always HorribleSubs which has the added benefit of not requiring you to be a CR subscriber.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Plus, that's like saying a, normally, law-abiding citizen probably won't go threw the check-out line, to pay for their groceries, because they technically don't have to do so.

They would if grocery stores were like the internet.

If like 3,000 customers ahead of them just walked out with a cart full of groceries, the only ones who got prosecuted were people hijacking delivery trucks, there were no police officers or security guards at the store, and the cashiers were like, "you shouldn't steal... but if you fill out this survey or watch a commercial we'll turn a blind eye to what you do and call it privacy protection."

If that was the situation then I think most people wouldn't pay for groceries.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Of course, if you can not wait, then there is always HorribleSubs which has the added benefit of not requiring you to be a CR subscriber.

Right, and I get that on my Roku by first running downstairs and torrent downloading the file, and then making sure they are in the right location to be served by a Plex server on my computer (which has to be kept running) and of course in the right video format, and then running upstairs to watch it served to the Roku Plex channel.

That is so much more convenient than clicking on the episode when it premieres on my Crunchyroll queue in the Crunchyroll Roku channel ... how, exactly?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

So you were completely oblivious of what mdo7, me, and Mad_Scientist were talking about. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

I just mention that earlier, please read before you post up a link because someone else might have posted that same content as you did beforehand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Yup, there are plenty but we can't say since of course it isn't allowed here. Of course, you probably live in bliss believing in the quality of the subs you get from CR, but it has been shown quite convincingly that the translation are far worse than 90% of the fansubs. Of course, if you can not wait, then there is always HorribleSubs which has the added benefit of not requiring you to be a CR subscriber.

Now you're just splitting hairs if you really think CR subs is that "bad".

oh, and CR just went Full-HD (1080p) streaming.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Now you're just splitting hairs if you really think CR subs is that "bad".

oh, and CR just went Full-HD (1080p) streaming.

it's definitely splitting a hair. Transliteration is not translation. When certain line is converted exactly like the original language, sometimes it loses actual meaning and sounds unnatural. Being a Korean American who speaks, reads, and writes Korean, I know that English subtitled Korean dramas aren't exactly converted word-by-word from the original language. However, I fully accept them for being read natural in English.

In many cases, I question judgement of people who think that fansub translation is far better than legal ones. I wonder if these people know Japanese language like bilingual speaker or able to communicate fluently with native speaker. Unless that person is a native, bilingual, or pro translator who put up with subtleties and nuances of Japanese language on daily basis, he or she has no right to complain about how inaccurate the translation is.

As long as the translation conveys the actual meaning of the original writing naturally, then that's what it matters most. It's not about the translation having -San, -Chan, or Youkai as monster.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

And how, pray tell, do these sites force fansubbers to put out series on their schedule? I quite seriously doubt fansub sites have managed this miracle in the 16 months I have been absent from the scene. This is one thing that can't be faked, so anyone visiting a fansub site can confirm it for themselves.

The debate over the quality of professional subs vs. fansubs is a futile road to travel, as those who use this as one of their justifications for going the fansub route will always state that fansubs are better, regardless of what evidence may be offered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2