• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo's Yawara! DVD Set to Go Out of Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
Yep, I really enjoyed it. We may not be getting a physical release for the rest of the series, but the fansubbers (who were very supportive of AnimEigo's release) have started once again the slow process of subbing the show. So for those who want to know if Jigoro can get Yawara focused enough for Barcelona or if she ends up with either the bit-reporter or the rich playboy would need to resort to illegal means.

It sure is fun to see what Urasawa was writing before he got so involved with more serious things like Monster and Pluto.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
As if it wasn't expensive enough already....
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'd personally love to see more of Urasawa's earlier manga released in the states: Happy!, Yawara!, and Master Keaton specifically. Scanlations for those are not complete either (at least they're active though... for the longest time I thought these series were just going to be ignored). However, I'd take an official release over a scanlation any day. I had hoped that Monster, Pluto, and 20th Century Boys would do well for Viz that they would consider picking up the older releases. We'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Karisu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Just grabbed it on Amazon for like $40! Make sure you look at the other sellers. They are selling much cheaper than Amazon themselves.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Karisu: You can get it for $35 off Animeigo and Right Stuf. The more you know...
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf has it on their site for $34.99 Very Happy
That's a pretty good deal.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
How disappointing. I knew they said they were having trouble getting more episodes a few years back, but I guess I kinda hoped it would work out. I found Yawara at Tsutaya when I was living in Japan and rented it because it was about judo - and loved it. I was so excited when they licensed it and the first boxset with the little booklet and all was pretty awesome. I'm grateful to AnimEigo for trying and glad that at least we got the first box. I guess I'll have to track down some Japanese DVD re-releases if they exist.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I've got my box set sitting here. It's a shame Animeigo couldn't get a license for the rest of the series, I'd have collected all of it if I could. I wish more people were into old school over-the-top romcom hijinks stuff, at least enough to buy it! Laughing

From what I've heard, Animeigo is having lots of bargains on their site nowadays... will definitely be looking around there later. Very Happy
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
I was going to pre-order the first set, but I live in the u.k. and you can only pre-order from AnimEigo's site if you live in the u.s., then they said they weren't releasing anymore and so I never got around to it. It's unfortunate, I would really have liked to see the whole thing. I will probably try and pick up the first set, though it's hard to get all that enthusiastic when I know I'll have an incomplete series sitting on my shelf.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I guess I'll have to track down some Japanese DVD re-releases if they exist.

Good luck with that, the only dvd release in Japan has been out of print and it's difficult to get http://www.amazon.co.jp/YAWARA-DVD-PERFECT-COLLECTION-アニメ/dp/B00006BSMV/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763386&sr=8-4
Even the Japanese auction sites don't have it, they have the Animeigo version listed so I guess some people in Japan have been importing it. Even the VHS are expensive at about $80
Anime cry
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
tasogarenootome wrote:
I guess I'll have to track down some Japanese DVD re-releases if they exist.

Good luck with that, the only dvd release in Japan has been out of print and it's difficult to get http://www.amazon.co.jp/YAWARA-DVD-PERFECT-COLLECTION-アニメ/dp/B00006BSMV/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328763386&sr=8-4
Even the Japanese auction sites don't have it, they have the Animeigo version listed so I guess some people in Japan have been importing it. Even the VHS are expensive at about $80
Anime cry

Haha! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2