• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erementar Gerad/Elemental Gelade Manga Returns in Digital Form

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
I just think it's so strange that people are complaining about something out of print being brought back into circulation in any form. It's as bad as people complaining about things not getting dubbed.

You can't compare a DVD/Blu-Ray not having a dub and no print version.If there is no dub, you still own the DVD/BD, with a digital manga , that manga will never sit on your shelf. I like to collect manga, so no print is the same as 'It doesn't exist' for me.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with MrXarnus, and have already detailed why digital versions are not an option for some people, I will acknowledge that there is one way in which the "no dub no sale" comparison can be made.

For many people, dub vs sub is a personal preference. For others, it's not.

There are people who are physically incapable of watching things subbed. For many people, they cannot read the subtitles on the screen fast enough, or they cannot read the subtitles and pay attention to the action on the screen. This means that they would have to pause the title every time a subtitle line came up, which would severely limit their ability to enjoy the title, or make them unable to enjoy it at all, if they are not in a position to do this. For those people, yes, they would have to refuse to buy a title that did not have a dub, as it would be useless to them. In the same way, for the reasons I outlined earlier, many people would have to refuse to buy a digital-only title, because it would be useless to them due to their inability to read it.

Conversely, the same argument could be made for "no sub no sale" vs. "no print no sale". I've noticed that most anime DVDs do not have closed captioning options. If there are no subs (whether they accompany the Japanese language option or not), people who are Deaf or otherwise unable to hear the dub would also have to refuse to buy a title, since it would be useless to them.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Also; I can import manga. I once tried buying a digital release, though, and got told that "it isn't available in your region".
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Now i have an e-reader, i use it for text books, but there is just something relaxing of sitting back with a book in hand.

That and i think POD makes sense, if they started doing POD from where TP left off i'd order in heart beat.

Also they need to start doing more enchanter..................

I'm not a fan of alot of DMP's releases but when they have something i like i enjoy the quality of their work.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether I should be happy or not. The fact that Elemental Gelade has been rescued is fantastic. But I won't touch e-books with a ten foot pole. So, it's pretty much the same as it not being rescued except for the fact that now presumably no one else can rescue it and actually print it (unless Digital Manga only got the digital rights and someone else is willing to pick it up for only the print rights).

So, I don't know. I certainly hate to complain about something being licensed, but I hate e-books.

Regardless, I hope that they at least call it Elemental Gelade and not that horrible Engrish title, Erementar Gerad, that makes my eyes want to bleed every time I read it.

I'll definitely buy the later volumes though if they are ever released in print.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I'm not sure whether I should be happy or not. The fact that Elemental Gelade has been rescued is fantastic. But I won't touch e-books with a ten foot pole. So, it's pretty much the same as it not being rescued except for the fact that now presumably no one else can rescue it and actually print it (unless Digital Manga only got the digital rights and someone else is willing to pick it up for only the print rights).

So, I don't know. I certainly hate to complain about something being licensed, but I hate e-books.

Regardless, I hope that they at least call it Elemental Gelade and not that horrible Engrish title, Erementar Gerad, that makes my eyes want to bleed every time I read it.

I'll definitely buy the later volumes though if they are ever released in print.

Would this series be able to move enough copies to justify a print release?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
I would have been interested if this had a print release. DMP can release a billion yaoi titles in print and yet they can't even do a print release of a Tokyopop license rescue.

No print release, no buy, end of story. Digital manga is stupid.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Do you need an e-reader to read digital manga? I always assumed you could just read it on your computer.

I'm actually not too upset, since the manga was just "ok" for me, I would like to legally read the rest (and this is the only time I've ever considered buying anything digitally, but of course a physical book is always the preferred option). But if I need some sort of device other than my computer to do so, I won't buy it.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
TronBonne wrote:
Do you need an e-reader to read digital manga? I always assumed you could just read it on your computer.

I'm actually not too upset, since the manga was just "ok" for me, I would like to legally read the rest (and this is the only time I've ever considered buying anything digitally, but of course a physical book is always the preferred option). But if I need some sort of device other than my computer to do so, I won't buy it.

Well its not that simple... it really depends on which company is releasing the title. DMP to the best of my knowledge release the majority if not all of their digital releases on the Kindle which can be read on a computer they also release their titles on eManga (which is on the internet) they also have an iOS app (for the iPAD only) (as well as an app for the android) which I assume they'll be releasing this on.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Would this series be able to move enough copies to justify a print release?

I have no idea. I don't know how well it sold for Tokypop or what the general interest in the series is. But regardless, all I have interest in is the physical books, not a digital release. I refuse to put up with e-books. So, from my perspective, an e-book release is no release. I won't touch e-books. I don't like reading manga or novels on my computer, and I won't put up with the DRM. As long as they have DRM, it's only a matter of time before you lose access to what you paid for.

But at least those people who can actually stand e-books (or actually prefer them for whatever reason, as bizarre as that may be) will be able to get the manga digitally.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
TronBonne wrote:

If you have a Windows or Mac based personal computer, then you can download the free Kindle software and read on your computer. However, the Kindle software is designed to read ebooks rather than manga, and so its necessary that you can actually read the manga page on your screen without needing to zoom.

One way to check if you are comfortable reading a manga page on your computer screen is to browse to Viz's Shonen Jump Alpha Media Guide, and click on one of the Manga Sampler links ~ this is Bakuman ch.1. Click on the full screen button and next page a couple of times ... if you can read manga on your PC screen with VizMedia's poorly thought through online reader program, your PC screen will be fine on the Kindle PC app in full screen mode.
The Tentacle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I sent DMP an email asking about whether or not they planned to release the last six volumes of Elemental Gelade in print, possibly as omnibus editions.

I received a reply today stating that it was their plan to release the remaining volumes in digital format. They went on to state, and I quote:

We are exploring options in print but that decision has not been finalized yet.

and that the idea to package volumes 13-18 in omnibus editions would be forwarded to their licensing department for considerations.

That's coming directly from their emanga.com affiliate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2